[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Torque Rod Installation
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Torque Rod Installation

Torque Rod Installation

Postby JoeB » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:22 pm

PIC#1 is the torque rod available from Jim @ Foreign affairs. Jim sends the torque rod pre-assembled which I thought to be very helpful. PIC#2 is the transmission shock that we will be replacing. If you don't have this in your car, you might want to ask yourself why you are doing this. :wink: I used the following tools; 3/8 socket wrench, 6” 3/8 extension, 14mm socket, deep 14mm socket, 17mm socket, deep 17mm socket, 14mm ratcheting combination wrench, 17mm ratcheting combination wrench and a 17mm opened end wrench. I took about 30 minutes to do this and was really taking my time. Very easy job and even easier if you have small arms and hands :( . Let’s get started…

Removal:
Since I was the guinea pig and had no instructions, I figured I’d throw caution to the wind. I didn’t know it the transmission needed to be supported or not so I just removed the shock without supporting it to see. When I started removing the bottom bolt, I noticed there was no pressure on it at all so it didn’t need to be supported, too easy! Refer to PIC#2, in the first step, we’ll be working with point “C”. There are 2 nuts on top there together. To get the top nut off, you’ll need to put a 14mm opened end wrench (or ratcheting combination wrench) on the lower nut to hold it still, then take the top nut off using a 14mm socket wrench with a 6” extension. After you get the top nut off use the deep 14mm socket to remove the net beneath it still at point “C”. After those 2 nuts are removed, pull the hardware off the top including the rubber bushing. Next, we’ll remove the bolt that is holding the shock in. The nut at point “A” is welded on. Here’s where the small arms and hands come in. You need to get a 14mm wrench on the bolt at point “B” and take it off. All I had to do was brake it loose (which wasn’t difficult thankfully) then I took it out by hand. Keep that bolt, we’ll reuse it to hold the torque rod in place. With the bolt out, the shock will pull right out.

Assembly:
To start with, take the hardware off the torque rod at point “A” in PIC#1. Then spin the nuts down towards point “C” a little to get it out of the way. Now slip the torque rod with point “A” coming up through the top hole where you removed the shock leaving the rod end (heim joint) at the bottom. Get that bolt you removed and kept for this step and insert it in the same direction it was in with the shock, going through the hole in the rod end and tighten it down with a 14mm wrench. Next, push the urethane grommet up against the metal bracket and screw the top nut up firmly to the bottom of that grommet. Then spin the other nut up to it and tighten the 2 together. Those nuts are 17mm. Next, put the hardware from point “A” that you took off earlier back on the way it came off. If you forgot, refer to the pic. Tighten the bottom nut snuggly, no need to torque it. Then tighten the top nut down to the bottom nut. It should now look like PIC#3.

I really don't think you'll have any trouble but if you do, post and I'll try to help. -JoeB

*EDIT* I originally said "ignition wrench", it's actually a ratcheting combination wrench I uesd, open on one side, closed on the other side and ratchets. It was perfect for that bottom bolt!
Last edited by JoeB on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Paladin06Greg » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:52 pm

I'm sure everyone will find this very helpful.

Thx
Paladin06Greg
Torqued Solara
Torqued Solara

Postby gman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:01 pm

Thanks Joe- looks like you need to clean that engine...I see a little dust.
We couldn't have gotten a better Guinea Pig.
Grey Menace
gman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Torque Rod Installation

Postby that1mexguy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:09 am

Hey man, GREAT tutorial, I'm definitely getting this, someone should make this a sticky for a couple of months. The only thing that kind of bugs me is, why wouldn't all Solaras have this?
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:36 am

Nice tutorial.
But wouldn't the threadin' between the the "B" and "C" points break??
Does this torque rod help??
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Torque Rod Install

Postby PDX SuperSolara » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:19 am

Excellent job Joe! I should just refer people to your tutorial for install directions. As for the question about the rod breaking, it is made of stainless and is literally strong enough to support your entire car let alone break due to engine torque! I have had this setup on the SuperSolara for a few months with no problems at all. The Torque rod will be sent assembled so you can see how it goes together, however not all the nuts have been fully torqued down to allow for adjustment during installation. The only nut that should be torqued initially is the one at the bottom ball joint (Heim joint). The reason there is no pressure on the shock mounting points is because the shock absorber is not for support of the motor, it simply slows down the movement of the engine. It provides no support. It is very easy to install, just be sure of two things: 1) Be sure the header is cool before you burn yourself! 2) There should be no tension on the assembly in its resting position. If there is, you may get a tiny bit of vibration, so the rod is adjustable for a perfect fit.
Jim @ Foreign Affairs
2315 SE 11th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97214
503-236-2871
PDX SuperSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Astro » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:04 am

I can't wait to test it out, when I get it. :D
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby SC V6 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:26 am

me 2
Parting out my car!!! great upgrades for sale!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34449

Denso IK22's (6), SWAP PARTS! and more!!!
SC V6

Mini install tip...

Postby CASTRO » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:30 am

I want to add to this that for guys with huge hands (Me) it might be a good idea to take out the right fan to have more area to work in. It only takes (2) 10mm bolts from the top and another (2) dicsonnected wires to take it off. The fan is very light and easy to install/remove. It saved me a lot of pain and trouble. Hope that halps anyone.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Mini install tip...

Postby JoeB » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 am

CASTRO wrote:I want to add to this that for guys with huge hands (Me) it might be a good idea to take out the right fan to have more area to work in. It only takes (2) 10mm bolts from the top and another (2) dicsonnected wires to take it off. The fan is very light and easy to install/remove. It saved me a lot of pain and trouble. Hope that halps anyone.

That's a good idea! I wish I'd have thought of that. Instead I growled and fussed while using a ratcheting closed end wrench moving it back and forth about 15* to loosen/tighten that bolt at the bottom... :x
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Astro » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am

I took off the fan and it took about 10 minutes!
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby StockSolara » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:54 pm

Thanks JoeB for your instruction and picture. Thanks Castro for your taking off the fan idea. It was such a breeze with this installation. I have noticed that the motor doesn't move as much with the torque rod.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Fletch » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:29 am

Getting some movement of the ball joint on the lower bolt. Thinking of fabbing up some spacers to go on each side of the ball joint on the bolt.

Must have too much tension in it or something since nobody else has had a problem.
2006 Legacy GT spec.B

(Totaled) '99 SE V6, TRD S/C, 5.5 psi Pulley, Jim's Fuel Upgrade, TRD Shortshifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Tokico / Eibach, TRD RSB, 2.5" Custom Y-Pipe, Greddy Cat-Back
Fletch
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:50 am

Great job on the tutorial bro. I'm sure many will find this very useful.

-M 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:20 am

Looks good.
Where can i get one??
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5