[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Dyno tutorial
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Dyno tutorial

Dyno tutorial

Postby JoeB » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:37 pm

Specifically for Camry or Solara owners with the V6 1MZ-FE and the A541E 4-Speed automatic transmission but the concept also applies to other automatics with a little modification:

There are many dyno operators that don't do well with automatics. Don't let them do 2nd gear pulls. Your numbers will be roughly 8% low, the run duration is too short to get all the data and it is just an easy way out for them. The reason they like to do 2nd gear pulls is, they can lock it into gear and not worry if the converter is going to lock-up or not. Also, they have trouble with the tranny downshifting when in 3rd. Don't let them take the easy way out, it's your money, get what you came for. This is what you need to tell them to allow them to successfully make a 3rd gear pull with the automatic.

Take off the overdrive (disable it with the button) and put the car in drive (or the operator can walk it through 1rst + 2nd, doesn't matter). In 3rd gear make a smooth increase to around 73MPH, start the dyno right there or just before. At 73MPH, don't just floor it, walk into it, smoothly taking it to the floor and hold it for the run. I've had it downshift into 2nd gear just below 78MPH. This procedure will keep it from downshifting.

Like I said, this is applicable for other automatics as well, the speed will probably differ though. A good way to figure it out before going to the dyno is to (not on a public road of course) floor it and see what MPH your car wants to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Subtract just a little bit off that number and that's where you want to start. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby shidosha01 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:32 pm

Good post Joe! 8)
Rizal D. / Forever "tabasco"
99 V6 SE 5spd FT61 1MZ-FTE
393whp/445ft-lbs. TQ @15psi
shidosha01
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby SleeperSolara » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:31 am

Nice.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Dyno

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Dyno what? I'm wondering if I should get my NA car dyno'ed. I dont want the car to use more gas, but maybe if they could get it to use less gas that would be cool.
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:58 pm

^ don't go off topic.

your car stock is factory tuned to be the most efficiency possible.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby JoeB » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:59 am

Mole wrote:^ don't go off topic.

your car stock is factory tuned to be the most efficiency possible.

Thanks Mike. He's right, your car comes factory tuned with the ECU doing the best job possible. It's like having a tuner spend MANY MANY hours tuning your car. The only time to consider a dyno tune is when you drastically change the dynamics of your engine. Then, you are adjusting a piggy back EMS based on a lot more boost (read - air flow) or fuel that you are able to deliver. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

cool

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks for enlighting me, this stuff sounds like rocket science. I think I'll get a dyno when I get the SC first (just one lotto ticket away!).
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Dyno tutorial

Postby Paladin06Greg » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:29 am

This is exactly how the guys at Car V2 did my first dyno. I'm not sure about the most recent one as I was not there. Perhaps I'll get it redone.

As always a great job.

Thx

JoeB wrote:Specifically for Camry or Solara owners with the V6 1MZ-FE and the A541E 4-Speed automatic transmission but the concept also applies to other automatics with a little modification:

There are many dyno operators that don't do well with automatics. Don't let them do 2nd gear pulls. Your numbers will be roughly 8% low, the run duration is too short to get all the data and it is just an easy way out for them. The reason they like to do 2nd gear pulls is, they can lock it into gear and not worry if the converter is going to lock-up or not. Also, they have trouble with the tranny downshifting when in 3rd. Don't let them take the easy way out, it's your money, get what you came for. This is what you need to tell them to allow them to successfully make a 3rd gear pull with the automatic.

Take off the overdrive (disable it with the button) and put the car in drive (or the operator can walk it through 1rst + 2nd, doesn't matter). In 3rd gear make a smooth increase to around 73MPH, start the dyno right there or just before. At 73MPH, don't just floor it, walk into it, smoothly taking it to the floor and hold it for the run. I've had it downshift into 2nd gear just below 78MPH. This procedure will keep it from downshifting.

Like I said, this is applicable for other automatics as well, the speed will probably differ though. A good way to figure it out before going to the dyno is to (not on a public road of course) floor it and see what MPH your car wants to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Subtract just a little bit off that number and that's where you want to start. -JoeB
Paladin06Greg
Torqued Solara
Torqued Solara

Postby GreenSolara01 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks!
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:31 pm

thanx for bumping a 3 year old thread.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz