[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Reconditioning pitted, yellowed, and scrathed headlights
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Reconditioning pitted, yellowed, and scrathed headlights

Postby xavier » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:51 am

ClassySolaraGuy wrote:Just curious... When you do sand the headlights and all that, isn't it stripping the uv clearcoat off them which comes from the manufacturing process? I noticed mine on my Jeep would turn back to a slight haze in a few months. Probably should just wax them like a would to a car.

If there is a factory uv coat in the plastic, I'm impressed. I dont know either way but to answer your question, there are two ways you can handle it. Keep waxing you headlights every 6 months or so. Or you could sand i down to a nice smooth finish and take it to a paint place and have them shoot em with a coat or two of clear. If you do take it to get cleared, you can have them add a touch of body color to give you a distinct look. :D
Bixenon projector retrofit done! http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48701
xavier
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

scratched plastic

Postby Sentinel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:01 am

There is a special abraisive for this purpose called "Micro-Mesh" it is super fine abraisives with a padded back. They're used for aircraft windshields and such, and are also good for clear-coat paint.
they come in grits from around 400 up to 16,000 (yes sixteen THOUSAND) This stuff is also great for helmet windscreens and anything else that you need optical clarity with.
Sentinel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: scratched plastic

Postby xavier » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:29 am

Sentinel wrote:There is a special abraisive for this purpose called "Micro-Mesh" it is super fine abraisives with a padded back. They're used for aircraft windshields and such, and are also good for clear-coat paint.
they come in grits from around 400 up to 16,000 (yes sixteen THOUSAND) This stuff is also great for helmet windscreens and anything else that you need optical clarity with.

Where can you get it? I think no more than 3,000 grit would be good.
Bixenon projector retrofit done! http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48701
xavier
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Sap Z » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:13 am

god my left fog is filthy man...how to i fix tht? do i have to take it out?
SapZ
V6 SE DWP

Sap Z
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby michaels artic frost » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:22 pm

Very nice tutorial bro. I did this with my previous mx-3 which I sold after getting the lara. I'm sure others will appreciate this.

-Michael 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby sydemoid » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:38 pm

Luv the tutorial man..

Im going to wait til the winter is over here in NYC, and will proceed with your plan. I like the idea, and it will make my HID's look a LOT better!!!
Geeks get it done, while Nerds whimper and call for mommie.
sydemoid
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bluesolara » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:04 am

Yep, I second that Sydemoid =) That's the reason I'm doing mine. Don't want glare shooting everywhere... (this might just make it a more clean glare going everywhere ; )

Anyways, buying the material today and doing it today, hope it goes well.

God bless,
Dave
2001 Indigo Ink Pearl SE
H4 6000K/Tein S-tech/Motegi FF7 Gunmetal17'/Kuhmo Ecsta Asx tires/Short Shifter (custom)/Clear Corners//TRD muffler
God bless.
bluesolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:52 pm

How long do you have to buff it for? I did it for about 1 1/2 minutes on each headlight and I can't get it as shiny as yours. Also, how fast do you set the tool? My landlord's cordless drill has a top speed of 450rpm, but ran out of batteries fast (if worse comes to worse, I might have to use the corded one).

However, I MUST say that the lights look a lot better, which my lights had most of the haze on top and clearer on the bottom that looked like a retarded tribal flame (but at least it doesn't look as bad as some mid-90's Chryslers; those things have SEVERE cataracts!).
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby variant » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:05 am

Brasso works just as good.
variant
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby shaqfoo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:47 pm

great post man. I tought i was gonna have to buy a new headlight hahah.
shaqfoo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby raneshraj209 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:28 pm

tried it on my headlights and it looks awesome!!
like brand new
raneshraj209
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Oh and quick note while the topic is up... After you're done, you might want to work in some metal polish (that's right)... My hazing problems came back after 2 car washes, but ever since I used some Mag-Brite on it it's just like new (minus the condensation inside LOL).
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Thx!

Postby mazen222 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 pm

This is amazing!
I bought my solara 2 months ago and the headlights looked very dirty/yellowish.. i thought i would get new ones but im gonna try this out during the weekend and save 150$

Just to make sure... I should not remove them from the frame right? I do all this while they are on the car?

Thanks!! :up:
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:07 pm

For their instructions: You COULD, but in the buffing process it'll be recommended to put blue masking tape up to about 3" from the headlights on the bumper, since it messed up the paint job a little bit until I actually got some buffing compound and did the whole car.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby mazen222 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:12 pm

NeFaRiOuS_SLE wrote:For their instructions: You COULD, but in the buffing process it'll be recommended to put blue masking tape up to about 3" from the headlights on the bumper, since it messed up the paint job a little bit until I actually got some buffing compound and did the whole car.

thx for the advice! im gonna be doing this this sunday. I hope i will get some nice clear headlights afterwards. Im gonna post some before/after pics
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5