[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY - LED Cluster Gauge Needle
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY - LED Cluster Gauge Needle

Postby Mandarinsolara » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:48 am

those maxima gauges and needles look so hott
i wish this was easy and less time consuming
Mandarinsolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby lilm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:13 pm

ohhhhhh purty.........i can do this :)
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:04 pm

pythonjosh wrote:Sleeper, are your needles colored at all? They do seem kinda reddish.
I'm dead friggin tired now, just got home from work. Tonight is my last night of work for a week so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to do this, I need some sleep. :(

Yeah they were red when i got the car.
Isn't it suppose to be like that from stock????
"JMSinMaryland" what does red look like in the odometer.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby returnofthedack » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:30 pm

yea this looks like a great idea to do...time to find some blue leds for this one..
www.seandackermann.com

The only person that can stop you in life, is yourself
returnofthedack
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby WTF?? » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:38 pm

SleeperSolara wrote:Yeah they were red when i got the car.
Isn't it suppose to be like that from stock????

The needles are more of a deep orange to go along with the nasty green

When you put in the red 194's, the orange turn more red and completely blends in with the cluster... Its still pretty nice :D
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:24 pm

Yeah, nasty green is the best way to put it. It's like a plague of green all the lighting of the stock Solara suffers. I am happy to say there is not a single green lightbulb condom in my car, (won't say there's not a green condom in my car 8) )
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:08 pm

pythonjosh wrote:Yeah, nasty green is the best way to put it. It's like a plague of green all the lighting of the stock Solara suffers. I am happy to say there is not a single green lightbulb condom in my car, (won't say there's not a green condom in my car 8) )

Same here. 8)
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby SolaraGuy22 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:23 pm

Very nice find, I may have to hit this mod up also. After you of course so I can get some tips. :D
SolaraGuy22
SolaraGuy Pimp
SolaraGuy Pimp

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:25 pm

Definitely tomorrow man. I should be sleeping right now, but I can't sleep, and I don't have time to work on this either :(

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:17 pm

Ok guys, after dinking around with my cluster for a week, I have some results and conclusions. Given my tone it is not exactly good. The bad part is, those pics were definitely taken using a slow exposure and/or some photoshop. It is an absolute pain in the a$$ to glue/tape an LED in the right position for the best angle. The only thing I did with an LED was glue it facing the odometer, which turned out pretty good.
Now for the good news, and I think it beats using LED's. In the upper part of the cluster, behind the gauges, you can fit a 12" cold cathode tube. You kind of have to custom fit it. I had to cut off the block ends off the cathode tube, remove the cathode itself, the drill holes in the sides of the white part of the cluster to insert the cathode, while dropping in the plastic casing (in my case red) in that area. I wish I had a digital camera to show you guys what I'm talking about, but I don't think a lot of you will go this far for cluster customization to be drilling in the cluster walls.
Since a 12" cathode will only fit in the upper part of the cluster, I need to get a 6" or preferably 3" cold cathode to place in the lower portion of the cluster, which is directly behind the lower part of the speedometer and tach gauges. Don't know how long it will take me to get a 3" cathode, but I will try my best to find a friend with a camera to post up pics.
Another good thing. In the maxima link in the original post, it says sanding the underside of the needles, that turned out great! If you're gentle, you shouldn't have to worry about the speedo, tach, and temp gauges. As you know the gas gauge doesn't fall like the others do, so be really careful with that one. I did move the gas gauge needle as far as a quarter tank both ways, but I always returned it to it's original position and it works fine.
So as far as the easy stuff goes, umm, sand your needles, and get 3" cold cathodes and find where they fit. :drinking:

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby lilm » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am

i think ill wait for some pics :)

i def. wanna see how the needles turned out
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:48 am

lilm111 wrote:i think ill wait for some pics :)
i def. wanna see how the needles turned out

I def wanna see more pics of your avatar, who is that chick?

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby lilm » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:26 am

if i remeber correctly its Hiromi Oshima the first japanese playmate

freakin hot huh :)
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby dominoSLEV6 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:30 am

Reverse glow gauges don't hold a canld eto how hot that maxima's gauges look.

-chris
It will run one day, RPMs EVERYWHERE!
dominoSLEV6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:10 am

dominoSLEV6 wrote:Reverse glow gauges don't hold a canld eto how hot that maxima's gauges look.
-chris

I agree, but I'd still rather have an ES300 cluster :(

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5