[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Removing the orange color on your gauge needles
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Removing the orange color on your gauge needles

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Those needles off the Camry look sweet. I wonder if they sell those at the dealership without having to buy the entire guage cluster.
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Postby SleeperSolara » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:26 am

Not bad.
Here my setup up.
Day:
Night:

I know the bulbs are still the stock orange bulbs wit out the green rubber cover but the needle light up really nice to the red. :D
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Duffman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:07 pm

hanatsuki wrote:hey have you had any problems with the calibration of the needles when you take them out? I took them out on my spare cluster and wiped off the orange color and painted silver nail polish on the back but havent tried them out yet...

as for the splotchiness/etching the acetone leaves, you can try coating the needle with clear nail polish or varnish, which should make it nice and shiny

I took pictures of the gauge positions for the temp/fuel (fuel when full, temp after driving a while) and checked my speed/tach on a level road. Used one of those drive-by speed clocker things the police use (thanks, Lackland AFB Security Forces!) to get the speedo accurate (yes, I put the needles back on while driving the car!) and then headed back out to the road to put my tach in place. Adjusted the fuel gauge when I filled up and the temp after driving a while. Had to be adjusted, but nothing impossible. If you can't get one of those radar traps, get a friend to drive in front of you and match his speed, and adjust from there.
2002 Toyota Solara SE V6 5-Speed
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Duffman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:08 pm

1st Gen Sol wrote:Those needles off the Camry look sweet. I wonder if they sell those at the dealership without having to buy the entire guage cluster.

ROFL, you'd still be cheaper to go to the junkyard or eBay I think. Dealers = Ripoff...
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:08 am

Duffman wrote:ROFL, you'd still be cheaper to go to the junkyard or eBay I think. Dealers = Ripoff...

Never said I was gonna pay for them.......courtesies of having a hookup at the dealership also make for better prices, but I was just curious......not many junkyards around my way.
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Postby RichD978 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:07 am

1st Gen Sol wrote:Those needles off the Camry look sweet. I wonder if they sell those at the dealership without having to buy the entire guage cluster.

They probably won't sell just the needles. My bet is even if you want the entire cluster they'd have to order it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/818696
VOTE FOR ME FOR SHOWOFF OF THE WEEK
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Duffman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 pm

For those following this subject:

After putting in the white gauges from the Camry cluster, I decided I needed some good, white light behind it to make the look complete. Well, I didn't feel like going all-out like Josh with the CCFLs (props to you on your efforts thus far, you've got more talent than I!) so I went with pre-made LEDs from AutoLumination.com (http://www.autolumination.com/). I got 5x 194 Super Whites from their site - they're the second set on the 194 page, designed for wide angle and gauge use. I also got 2x 194 Inverted Lens bulbs for the license plate bulbs (hey, it looked good on an IS350!). I'll try to get some pics tonight (I'm packing for a trip to Florida tomorrow), but the results were AMAZING. I'm very happy with them!
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5