[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How to disable your DRL (the right way)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

How to disable your DRL (the right way)

How to disable your DRL (the right way)

Postby Astro » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:30 am

After searching on here and not finding a solution to disable them, I found a page on the net with a tutorial. I tried unplugging the grey plug under the hood and several other things that didn't work. So, after giving this a try, no more DRL! This tutoial shows how to remove the ground to the main DRL harness to totally disable them. BTW, the wire I removed was red with a blue stripe and silver bands. There's more than one, but the other one is towards the middle, so you'll be able to figure it out. :D

http://www.legacytuning.com/drl/DRLdisable.htm
*edit This site is down, here's another:
http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

With my new HID's, I don't want to take any chances ruining them by giving them less power with the DRL. Next, I'll like to do the independent fogs.
Has anyone found a way to be able to use the highs without the lows going off???
Last edited by Astro on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby that1mexguy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:21 am

hmmm, all I had to do with mine was unplug the grey plug under the hood and disconnect the sensor from the dash, did that not work for you? the tutorial is good too, i'm just curious to find out why urs didnt work (if in fact u did the same as me).
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: How to disable your DRL (the right way)

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:41 am

Astro wrote: Next, I'll like to do the independent fogs.
Has anyone found a way to be able to use the highs without the lows going off???

PythonJosh had done a DIY on the fogs, it still may be up..
If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:09 am

Astro: If you're talking about the HID turning on on its own, it may be a bad ground on the ballast. Be sure to shave the metal good before putting the connecting wire/surface on.

Like CamrySE-soCALlara said, it's still up. It's on his CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/575434/3. As for the highs/lows, I don't think anybody figured that out yet, although the feature is a pain in the arse.

That1mexguy: It's a common situation if you have aftermarket HIDs that aren't configured right.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Astro » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:32 am

^^I was just refering to the DRL coming on, because it's on the low beam. I don't know how to rewire the DRL to the high beams. I don't know why unpluging the grey plug didn't work for me, but this does fo' sure! :D
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby Jon11582 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 am

Maybe the grey plug didnt work for you because of the way your wires are spliced since you split the hi and lo. I assume you had to split the ground wire.

I also have a 2000, and aftermarket HIDs (low only), and unplugging the grey plug worked for me. The ONLY time my HIDs came on without my dash lights being on is when my ballasts were contacting the chassis, creating a short.

For clarification, I believe the DRLs are on the low for Gen1 and high for Gen1.5. The wiring conversion you did to run two bulbs probably kept it on the low.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: How to disable your DRL (the right way)

Postby pythonjosh » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:28 am

CamrySE-soCALlara wrote:
Astro wrote: Next, I'll like to do the independent fogs.

PythonJosh had done a DIY on the fogs, it still may be up..

Always got it up. Here's the link for ya Larry:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/575434/3
And the thread: http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=9234
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Cspence » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:01 am

The wire is definitly the red/blue with silver stripe in my solara (2000). I to wanted to disable my DRL for the same reason, I did'nt want my HID's on all the time, speaking of which, check em out http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2157484 and let me know what you think. I just put them in yesterday 10-14-06. peace
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pythonjosh » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:07 am

hey welcome back cspence! them HID's sure look nice

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Ruski » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:42 pm

i just finshed mine today.. just to let everyone know the wire is under number 9 and is a red with blue line
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Toy1mzfe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Great diy, just did this and my independent foglights! Now i can run just the fogs!!!
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Ruski » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm

Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:26 am

Ruskimafia wrote:haha same here i love the look

Damn that's sexy

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby un0john0fodg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:28 pm

i have a 2000 sle and I cut the red wire with blue stripe. Now my drls are still on :cry: does anyone have any pics of the relay and the wire they cut? I'm pretty confident I cut the right wire following close to Astros tutorial. helppp :cry:
un0john0fodg
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:51 pm

here it is its under the number 9 its 23 u need to turn the plug to have it line up as on the image
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5