[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Gain 5hp and 10 lb torque
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Gain 5hp and 10 lb torque

Gain 5hp and 10 lb torque

Postby Turbosolara » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:29 pm

saw this, this guy has a dyno sheet to backup his method

http://www.ultimateresourceguides.com/c ... emods.html
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby DatSRBoi » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:05 pm

The last one.. If it robs power.. why did they design our cars to run coolant through the throttle body?
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Midias » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:22 pm

By design, the coolant lines are there to prevent the throttle plate from freezing under cold temperature. Because of this, the throttle body receives the same coolant temp running through the engine, which also heats up the intake temp.

I had my accord bypassed been thinking about it on the solara but never done it. Altough I have thought about relocating the IAT to the bumper or some similar place.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 am

Hmmm.... interestin'.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby newroc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:27 am

Straight water cools better than coolant any day of the week,

ouch ... is that a joke? Makes you question the rest of this guy's advice.

yeah, water is an excellent heat sink, but adding ethylene glycol makes it a better heat sink. Remember colligative properties from 7th grade science class? Any solute dissolved in water will increase its boiling point and decrease its freezing point, hence coolant/antifreeze.
69 6c 6c 65 67 69 74 69 6d 69 20 6e 6f 6e 20 63 61 72 62 6f 72 75 6e 64 75 6d
newroc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jon11582 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:45 am

newroc wrote:

yeah, water is an excellent heat sink, but adding ethylene glycol makes it a better heat sink. Remember colligative properties from 7th grade science class? Any solute dissolved in water will increase its boiling point and decrease its freezing point, hence coolant/antifreeze.

Straight water does "cool" better than coolant (Antifreeze+water).

Being a good coolant does not mean being a better heatsink. Coolant is made to hold on to heat and move it to another location. Heatsinks are made to dissappate heat quickly, which is the exact opposite. What you want in a cooling system is a high specific heat liquid to hold onto heat and move it away from the hot parts, then run through a radiator (with a low specific heat, like copper), which then acts as the heatsink and dissapates the heat into the air. If the liquid in a coolant system has a low specific heat, it cannot hold onto the heat long enough to move it away from the engine block and into the radiator.

Adding antifreeze lowers the specific heat of water, which makes it let go of heat better, and makes it not as good for moving heat away from the engine. Antifreeze has about half the specific heat of water.

Antifreeze is used for two main reasons, first is to lubricate the coolant system, second is to make sure water always stays in liquid form no matter the temperature. If Antifreeze was a better heat mover, there would be no reason to use water at all and engines would be built to use pure antifreeze. However, it does not remove heat fast enough, so engines are built to take a compromised 50/50 mix.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby lilm » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 pm

ee u learn something everyday
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby that1mexguy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:11 pm

man i could've sworn i posted this before but i cant find it anyway ... if anyone tries this let us know how it goes.
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Solarafreek » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Hmmm...interesting stuff.
Solarafreek
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bassthrive » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:13 pm

Did the TB coolant bypass a while back. The metal on the TB doesn't get as hot as it used to. You're not gonna feel any increase in power from this alone, thats for sure. I wouldnt recommend it if you live in a cold climate - dont want that butterfly valve sticking.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby GooseXRS » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm

abra cadabra!!! (i asked a stupid question and poof its now gone)
Last edited by GooseXRS on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid. "
- Goose
GooseXRS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Turbosolara » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:39 pm

newroc wrote:

I am glad you remeber your stuffs from grade school, but this also means you need to go take class in college.

Because water have hydrogen bonding ability with the oxygen atom, this will induce higher boiling point because more bone strength. The ethylene C=C an unsaturate organic compound however will lower the freezing point. Therefor it is called ANTIFREEZE.

So a radiator with full water vs full antifreeze, the one with full water will win
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby GooseXRS » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:05 pm

Where is the suntan lotion because someone just got burned. J/J
"The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid. "
- Goose
GooseXRS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby newroc » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:59 pm

^^ Hey Turbo, my quote questions the author of that accord article, not your post, did it sound like i was attacking you? :o apologies if that was the case.

in any case, that accord guy has several questionable points, like the others have posted about the TB valve etc, and my quote about the coolant is just one of them.

but it seems like you just paraphrased what I said, that ethylene glycol acts both as an anti-boil and an anti-freeze, but neither of us distinguished the difference between heatsink, heatmover, heatdissipator, specificheat, etc,.

Jon11582's excellent distinctions puts the coolant discussion to rest. :D
69 6c 6c 65 67 69 74 69 6d 69 20 6e 6f 6e 20 63 61 72 62 6f 72 75 6e 64 75 6d
newroc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mr_Chunks » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:03 am

who has actually tried this stuff anyway
remember a while back the DIY with the butterfly valve? There was mixed results on that one and this one may have more of the same
so before i go tinkering away i wanna know what other people have noticed.
Mr_Chunks
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5