[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - replacing manual climate control bulbs
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

replacing manual climate control bulbs

replacing manual climate control bulbs

Postby andrew_alfonso » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 pm

Can anyone please provide a step-by-step DIY, with pictures if possible, on how to replace the bulbs in the manual climate control system? I think two bulbs are out now and will need to replace it. Also, where could I buy these bulbs, or anything brighter? THanks in advance for your replies. :D
01 Solara SE I4 Hardtop
11 Pilot Touring 4WD
andrew_alfonso
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Akfahad » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:13 pm

Here's where most of us got our replacement bulbs:
http://autolumination.com/

No pics for this DIY, but take out the ashtray by pushing down the silver metal piece that says "Push." With the ashtray out, carefully start prying out the the center console. I always start from the bottom and work my way up. Put your fingers in the empty hole where the ashtray used to be and start pulling. The clips should pop off relatively easily. With the center console off, you need to unclip the clock and the hazard light connectors. Once the center console is removed, pull all three manual control knobs off (put all the knobs all the way to the left or right, that way you know which way to put them back on. I couldn't remove the the center knob, it actually just slid off for me as I removed the faceplate of the control head). Take a phillips screw driver and unscrew the three screws behind each knob. Once that's done, you can remove the faceplate of the control head which will reveal the bulbs. (there are two more screws which secure the manual control unit in place, you can remove those if you want to give yourself a little bit more room to work with, but I don't think it's necessary to replace the bulbs if I remember right). Just simply pull the bulbs out and replace (careful not to break the bulbs!) Put back on in reverse order.

**I remember now, only after writing all this, that there was a write up about how to do this. Should say the same thing, just try a search for it.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby andrew_alfonso » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Thank you Akfahad for your detailed reply. Will be doing it this weekend. Alternatively, could I buy these bulbs from a local AutoZone or Advance auto parts? If so, what is the specific type (or number) of bulb? can I change to another bulb that would be a little bit brighter than the original one?
01 Solara SE I4 Hardtop
11 Pilot Touring 4WD
andrew_alfonso
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Akfahad » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:40 pm

I'm not sure if autozone/advanced sell #74 bulbs (which are the climate control bulb number)

You need to read this:
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=10319
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby andrew_alfonso » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 pm

Just read the thread. Very detailed indeed! I was wondering if I could use straight super white bulbs for all three bulbs (I plan to change the cig bulb as well), instead of blue on the left (cold side indicator) and red on the right (hot side indicator) will it become brighter? Also, do I have to buy the plastic twist base(s)? Many thanks for all the info. I will have to order first before I start dismantling anything though.
01 Solara SE I4 Hardtop
11 Pilot Touring 4WD
andrew_alfonso
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Akfahad » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm

It will be brighter for sure, obviously (super white). If white is the theme your going for then sure. I think the blue and red center knob will still light up the same, but can't remember for sure. The bulbs arent that expensive, so get different one's if your not sure.

Not sure what you mean about the plastic twist base. If your refering to the plastic sheeth that covers the stock bulbs, then no, you don't need that.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5