[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How to check you window regulator
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

How to check you window regulator

How to check you window regulator

Postby lilm » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:38 pm

Well i was surviving for about 6 months with my window working and quiting on me thank god only in the up position. Well i have to use the tollway for my new job and it was time to figure out what was wrong with my window. I finnaly got a nice day to work on it and here is the result.

1. Your going to have to take off the door panels. I didnt take pictures of this so here is a site. If you dont like just pictures search sg.
http://www.pbase.com/blaze/install
(Thanks to kondo)

2.. Remove the plastic so that you can get in between where the motor/regulator is held in.

3. Forgot to take a picture but basically you want to check to see if any of the metal strings(should be two of them one going up and the other going down) to see if they are broken.

4. Disconnect the wire that runs the window looks something like this

5. If the wires look ok then your going to have to take off the motor/regulator assembly. I also didnt take picture here sorry i forgot. :drinking: The whole assembly is held in by 3 10mm bolts so take those off and your going to pull it out it should look something like this

6. Your going to have to pull the assembly so its a little easier to work with and the easiest way for me was to turn the whole thing so the motor was facing to the left.

7. You should now be able to open the housing of the regulator
Take these out and it should look something like this
This is another visual thing if nothing looke cracked or is slipping there is probably nothing wrong with it.

8. Now if nothing looks bad with the regulator the motor is the culprit.
So take that bad boy off
Be careful when your taking it off you wouldnt want to damage anything.

9. You end up with one of these when you take the housing off.

and take this out it will give some resistance cause its just a big magnet Image
Check to see if any of the wires in the coil are broken......if just one is broken the motor is fried and your gonna have to get a new one.

10. Now your going to want to clean the housing and the magnet a electrical cleaner would work. I didnt have anything specific so i used brake cleaner cause it dries quickly I drowned the housing a couple of times and wiped it with a a terry rag.

11. After the magnet and housing were cleaned i took some emory paper and went over the inside of the housing and the magnet and sprayed some cleaner in there one more time.

12. Now that we are satisfied with how clean the motor is its time to let it spin a little easier
I put just a tiny tiny bit of this on the tip and put it in the housing and spun it a little took ti out and but a little more on JUST THE TIP and spun it around it did start spinning a little easier but i will admit not alot easier.

13. I also took the emory paper to the brushes on the motor

14. Put a little more grease on the screw part of the magnet

15. Now you will possibly need a friend for this part
Remeber those brushes
your going to have to pull both of those apart to put the motor back together. It can be a little tricky but once you got that in just put everything back together.

This has been workin for me for about a month now. Might be a temporary fix might not. I will post instructions on putting in a new regualtor if I have to

Hope it helps
-Martin
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby mazen222 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm

omg i hate you man! My window regulator broke 4 days ago. I bought the part from toyota (cant be found elswhere) for 130+tx and i took it to a friends garage... he was not able to fix the new regulator on the motor, so i had to go back to toyota and pay the 85$/h for 1.5h.. for a nice total of 285$
I found out about this forum yesterday!

Thx! great tips.. i know where to look if i get unlucky with the right side
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5