[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRD RSB install
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

TRD RSB install

TRD RSB install

Postby redgen1 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:03 pm

alright, as requested i took some pics when i installed my RSB and although it comes with instructions, ill try to walk ya through it.

i couldnt find my jackstands so i was forced to only raise the car a few inches which happened to make this install muuuch harder then it should have been. so, if you can, get it off the ground with some room to work with.

its a pretty simple process, first remove the nut circled in red, there is a 5 mm hex bolt inside of it and if youre unlucky like me, a socket wrench wont work because the bushing will just turn inside of the housing without loosening it, so just use a wrench and a hex key together to get that off

next remove the bolt circled in yellow, there are 2 for each bracket

finally when you get those 6 bolts undone (the 4 for the brackets and the 2 to the sway bar links) comes the tricky part, like i said i didnt have my car off the ground, so i had to pretend that the stock sway bar was one of those puzzle games where you have to fandangle it carefully out from above the exhaust system. it takes a little work and a little muscle but you can get it off w/o removing the exhaust. pay careful attention to how you take it off because youll need to put the new RSB on the same way, and because its much stiffer, itll be a little bit of a challege to muscle in there.

once you get it up in there, apply a generous amount of lubricant (mine was supplied with my bushings, looks like silicon grease though) and slip them onto the RSB

Replace the stock brackets onto the new bushings and put the 4 bolts back in -- i found it easier to put the bolts in from back to front, could be different for you

Put the sway bar links into the proper holes - my guide said to use the outer hole for "track useage" but i tried it out and its excellent, i would see no reason to use the other. Again, this part may take some muscle because of the new stiffer RSB, but it will go in.

when youre done - tighten everything back up, i didnt have a torque wrench so i just tightened it all as best i could. I figure if i could take off the bolts with hand tools, i should be able to put them back on with the same tools.

heres a picture of the new sway bar, the brackets and bushings installed, the sway bar link has yet to be put in the bottom hole

hope this helped out, pm me if you have any questions
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby unbalancedwood » Fri May 11, 2007 1:46 pm

Sooo,hows the new ride?
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby redgen1 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:48 pm

well worth the 176 dollar price tag 8)
02 SLE V6

redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraGuy22 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:25 pm

$176? You must not have got it from Reggie 8)
SolaraGuy22
SolaraGuy Pimp
SolaraGuy Pimp

Postby redgen1 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:30 pm

yeah well i didnt know about reggie until today
02 SLE V6

redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kwyse » Fri May 11, 2007 4:58 pm

Good write up. The only thing I would add is that the bushings will start to squeak eventually so lube up the bar as good as you can the first time around. I put a thick layer of grease around the bar, then teflon taped over this layer of grease, and then put another thick layer of grease over the tape before putting the polyurethane bushing on the bar. After all the grease and tape, the bushing fit real snug, but it hasn't squeaked since.
kwyse
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby aleki2424 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:22 am

kinda weighing my options here. guys how is the handling with that thing in... as in is there a noticable difference than when the old one was in.
also, do y'all have the front one in too, coz my car appears to have the 'sway' coming from the front, esp when taking corners.
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 am

aleki2424 wrote:kinda weighing my options here. guys how is the handling with that thing in... as in is there a noticable difference than when the old one was in.
also, do y'all have the front one in too, coz my car appears to have the 'sway' coming from the front, esp when taking corners.

The difference is night and day! The RSB is probally the best upgrade on a solara for the money.

aleki, if you still have questions about the benefits, create a separate topic about it.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Dav » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 pm

What is the best way to set the RSW: into "track usage" or "street usage"? How big is the difference? Is it to rough into "track"?
Dav
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:23 pm

i run mine on track.. never tried street. street is the same as the stock setting
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Garrryyunit » Thu May 15, 2008 4:46 pm

sorry for posting on an old post, but i tried the grease, it squeeks after 2 days. put teflon tape, it started to squeak today (which is 3 days). im really getting annoyed of the squeeking.. any other methods?
Photo My Car

2002 Solara SE - Sold
1992 Civic VX - Current
2003 S2000 - Current
Garrryyunit
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: TRD RSB install

Postby DaZanY4002 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:47 am

redgen1 wrote:Put the sway bar links into the proper holes - my guide said to use the outer hole for "track useage" but i tried it out and its excellent, i would see no reason to use the other.

I'm not sure which holes you put the links in. It looks like you put them in the inner holes by the pic, but kinda sounds like the outer hole was for track usage by what you wrote.

I just installed mine yesterday. I put the sway bar links into the inner holes (closest to the center of the sway bar.) It feels great. The instructions said that the holes for "track" were the forward holes. So I'm not sure I guess if I have my rsb on track or not. Could anyone clear that por favor?
DaZanY4002
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Sat May 24, 2008 10:03 am

Garrryyunit wrote:sorry for posting on an old post, but i tried the grease, it squeeks after 2 days. put teflon tape, it started to squeak today (which is 3 days). im really getting annoyed of the squeeking.. any other methods?

i regreased mine not long ago.. but yeah.. its still sqeaks a little bit. oh well its still better than before, its just .. annoying lol but what else can I do. I'll just turn up the volume of my music instead.
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Sentinel » Sat May 24, 2008 1:29 pm

the inboard hole is the track setting (shorter arm = less deflection / given force = stiffer)

I wish I knew where some test data could be found for this thing: I know most everyone has theirs on the track setting, but I have not seen any data that shows if it is better or not.

2 cents: I wish I'd never lowered my car, and wouldn;t have if I knew the improvement the TRD RSB was going to do before I bought the lowering parts.
1 cent: watch out for oversteer: the RSB makes the car more likely to oversteer in the track setting...
Sentinel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby skipfiddes » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Just did this yesterday. Am I the only one who hates how the bumps feel now? I kind of wonder if my struts are gone aswell. I feel every little bump and it just throws me up and down, but don't get me wrong I love the cornering now.
skipfiddes
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5