[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Knock sensor rewire.
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Knock sensor rewire.

Knock sensor rewire.

Postby Dawgz » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:13 am

I dont know if this has actually been posted in this section, but it is a DIY.

Ive learned this off this board, from many threads.

there is alot of information on this in the thread linked below
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=30

but heres a short way to do it so u dont have to read it all.

If ur boosted and u get a check engine light and u go get the code checked and if it comes out as one of the knock sensors, u've blown ur knock sensor and in turn i believe it is retarding the timing, making the car slow. The good way to fix this is to replace both knock sensors, from what ive read, the replacement knocksensors aren't as sensitive as the stock sensors, and wont set off that easily.

but for a quick temp fix, u can do this mod.

U have to get to the ECU/ECM, which is located behind the glove box, the glove box, here's a diagram of how to do that, and where the ECU is.

once u look at the ecu, u will see the plugs, u want to locate the E11, when ur looking at it at eye level, its the most bottom connector/plug.

What we want to do is look at pin 27 and pin 28, here's a diagram of the ECU's connectors and their corrosponding pins

If the code that ur sensor was throwing was comming from the bank #1, which is the rear sensor, then what u have to do is cut pin #27's wire, give enough slack to each side of the wire because u will need to expose the wire underneath the plastic of the wire. then take off some plastic cover from pin 28 but do not cut that wire, just expose the wire and connect pin 27 to it, firmly, the part that is comming from the ECU, not the wire that leads to the engine bay.

Here's a small diagram of how it looks, and how it should look after ur done.

and now how it should look.

here's a REAL picture of how it should be like.

This is a TEMPORARY FIX, the most likely cause for ur blown knock sensor is either the sensor being too sensitive, or ur running real lean, and or ur actually getting knocking.

Any corrections to this DIY are welcome.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby needmorecrap » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:49 am

this thread is a life saver!!!!!! I kept throwing the p0325 code and running like crap, slow acceleration, only getting about 18mpg on the highway. I did this today and the first time I hit the gas I almost torque steered off the road! What a difference. I love cars with superchargers when they run right.
needmorecrap
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dawgz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:51 am

Glad it could be of assistance. But it blew for a reason, maybe ur runnin a bit too lean or rich? Get that checked out and get that knk replaced....this "temp-fix" is just so you can get around town appropriately, technically.

GL though, and im glad it helped.
Dawgz

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 am

Does the knock sensors in these cars trigger a check engine light?

I know it wont in my maxima. But if the knock sensor it blown, the car will run slower, and fuel economy goes down a bit.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:57 am

TLMNICK wrote:Does the knock sensors in these cars trigger a check engine light?

I know it wont in my maxima. But if the knock sensor it blown, the car will run slower, and fuel economy goes down a bit.

Im pretty sure it will in your maxima as well, A friend of mine with a maxima blew his knk recently. But, u guys only have ONE knock sensor...not two.
Dawgz

Postby needmorecrap » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:39 am

I had a coil that went out and causing the mid-rear spark plug to fire on about one out of every three cycles...thus causing the misfires and knocking. Everything has been replaced(spark plugs, wires, coils, fuel filter, blah blah blah). I have some friends that run a shop and they checked it out and said everything was good to go. The next time I have to get the plugs replaced we'll take the supercharger off and replace the sensor, but i dont feel like taking half the engine off to change the sensor.
needmorecrap
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby farid13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:48 am

Dawgz wrote:Glad it could be of assistance. But it blew for a reason, maybe ur runnin a bit too lean or rich? Get that checked out and get that knk replaced....this "temp-fix" is just so you can get around town appropriately, technically.

Hi guys!

Sorry, will the rewiring procedure above help in the case with P0141 error?
farid13
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gibson99 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:20 am

farid13 wrote:
Dawgz wrote:Glad it could be of assistance. But it blew for a reason, maybe ur runnin a bit too lean or rich? Get that checked out and get that knk replaced....this "temp-fix" is just so you can get around town appropriately, technically.

Hi guys!

Sorry, will the rewiring procedure above help in the case with P0141 error?

no. p0141 is oxygen sensor heater code. has absolutely nothing to do w/ knock sensor. you prolly just need an new o2 sensor.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby goshia » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 pm

i have a 1996 avalon.would the wiring at the ecm be the same as the 97 solara?my bank 1 error code is coming up.
goshia
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dawgz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:13 pm

goshia wrote:i have a 1996 avalon.would the wiring at the ecm be the same as the 97 solara?my bank 1 error code is coming up.

the pin out may be different, but i believe toyota only uses clear coated wires for the knock sensor, so if you can find the clear ones (there should be two right next to each other) then you could follow the steps in this thread.
Dawgz

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:51 pm

i would do this for now but ill just wait till next week so greg can fix it.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

knock sensor rewire

Postby goshia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm

did you solder the wires together or just tape it?
goshia
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Dawgz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:55 pm

since its a bandaid fix, u can just do the old twist and loop so you can easily revert it.
Dawgz

Re: Knock sensor rewire.

Postby dcapo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:06 pm

im having trouble finding which wires. i have an es300 00 1fz-fe
dcapo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5