[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Converting HVAC control knobs, and buttons to LED
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Converting HVAC control knobs, and buttons to LED

Converting HVAC control knobs, and buttons to LED

Postby Kenz » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:15 pm

This is kind of tricky to do, once I figured out how to do it it took 3-4 hours. It required soldering and you have to be good with working with small parts, and have basic electrical knowledge.

First take out the vent controls. Do this by pulling off the knobs, and take out the two screws behind them, then take out the four screws holding the whole thing to the dash.
(By now you can see the two #74 bulbs that you can replace to change it to whatever color you want. LED's don't work as well in this location so its better to use normal colored bulbs)

Pull out the entire control box a few inches. Enough room to reach behind and unclip the button assembly. Each one will come out by puling back a tab on the bottom, then they just slid out.

The middle Recirculate button has a green led already lighting it. You have to take apart the button and resolder a blue one in (I used a 5 volt blue led from radio shack) . This is the easiest one to do because its held together with screws.
Make sure you get the polarity correct or it wont light up.

The defrost and AC buttons are a bit harder to do.

Here is the AC button. Unclip the face of the button, be careful because a little clear light deflector is clipped inside.

You can see in the picture I marked a positive and negative. Unscrew the Grey cap, now you have the bulb that lights it up.
Get yourself a premade LED like this from superbrightleds.com... Or you can get a blue led and a 150 ohm resistor and make your own, I did this but If I did it again id just buy this one....

You then have to run the premade led and wire through the front, to out of where the bulb came out.

Replace the bulb with the LED wires.
Make sure the led is aimed correctly towards the front like this...

Again make sure you get the polarity correct or it wont work. You can see what side is positive for the AC button in the picture. FYI... on the defrost button the side facing the front of the button is positive.
- Mack
Silver `03 i4 5 Speed
Dropped w/ Tein & KYB
OBX Cat Back
Kenz
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5