[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Fuel Filter and Line Replacement HOW TO
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Fuel Filter and Line Replacement HOW TO

Fuel Filter and Line Replacement HOW TO

Postby Midias » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:32 am

I could not remove my fuel filter to save my life it was just too rusted and stripped. So I decided to cut it off and replace it unfortunately I did not have a camera handy during the process but this how to should help anyway. Everything but the pipe cutter can be bought from http://www.fuellinerepair.com they can be purchased in individual components or as a kit the kit does NOT come with the nylon line. You can get it from the site or from advance auto parts it is in the help section and it is a doorman product. Using the nylon tube makes it easier to get the exact angle of the main pipe.

ITEMS REQUIRED AND PART NUMBERS
k127 - 14MM foreign angled line adapter $8.40
k005-12 - 5/16 nylon fuel line by 12ft. length $18.00
k050 - 5/16 nylon to steel compression fitting $4.20
k2980 - 5/16 seal clamp $1.20
tc1 - Tube cutter for nylon tube. $8.40 (or Cutco shears borrowed from Mom)
Metal tube cutter for original pipe
cp01 - Clamp pliers $8.40 (or end cutters from sears, home depot ect...)
9/16 inch Wrench open end for compression fitting
1/2 inch wrench open end for compression fitting
19mm Wrench for filter
16mm Wrench for new fuel line

To start the old filter nice and rusty it would not come apart and I tried for 2 years.

Here is the Kit I already removed a coupler and a 90 degree elbow.

Here is an overview of the parts needed

k050 - 5/16 nylon to steel compression fitting. The left side is for the tube and the right with nut and ferrule is for the metal tube.

k127 - 14MM foreign angled line adapter with k005-12 - 5/16 nylon fuel line and k2980 - 5/16 seal clamp.

cp01 - Clamp pliers do not use these to cut through the clamp just pinch it shut.

And Finally the pipe cutter I used to remove the old pipe. Be careful and go slow when you crank it down because you don't want to crush or oval the pipe or the nut and feral will not slide over. Also When you attach the nut and feral give your self plenty of room so it goes all the way down into the metal collar.

OK now to start release the fuel pressure by removing the gas cap. Now loosen the fuel filter clamp so you have more room to get the pipe cutter on the old line. Cut the line on a straight and leave at least an inch for the nut and ferrule you want as much line as will fit into the compression fitting after the ferrule. I left a good 1.5-1.75 inches after the bend and had to take an extra 1/4 inch off to get a nice round end. (see final pictures).

Remove the old filter and put new filter in place. Attach the compression fitting to the metal side and the nylon tube to the new 14mm adapter and clamp in place.

Using the new filter as a guide cut the nylon tube so it goes all the way into the compression fitting. Do this with the tube unattached to the filter or it will not be the correct length.

Tighten both sides of the compression fitting and attach the fuel line to the filter use the 19mm wrench to keel the filter steady and tighten the nut down.

Here is the final product

Replace the gas cap and turn the car on and off a few times to repressurize the system. Check for leaks.

If all looks well start it up and check for leaks. If there is still no leaks clean up and take her for a spin. Enjoy.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5