[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)

New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi all, I searched and found a couple different tutorials regarding this particular mod. For some reason however they just looked to be a lot more complicated than it really is. I have simplified it a bit, and hopfully it'll encourage those who were once afraid, to get out there and do it. This mod will give you the option to have your foglights on when your PARKLIGHTS are on instead of the headlights. It also prevents the fogs from turning off when you use your highbeams.

So here we go.

STEP 1: Remove the lower dash panel. This is acheived by removing three phillips screws (two for the hood release, and one for the panel). There is also one 10mm bolt that must come out. the panel can then be removed.

STEP 2: Remove the lower plastic piece around the steering collum. This is done by removing one phillips screw from the very bottom, and another two on the side that the steering wheel sits on. You'll have to put the key in the ignition, and turn the wheel to get at them.

STEP 3: Go back to where you removed the steering collum. You’ll see the harness that connects to the signal stalk (it is marked in Yellow in the pic below) On it you’ll find a wire that is RED/BLUE with Silver Dots. Cut It.

You’ll need a small piece of extension wire now. Connect one end of your extension wire to the wire marked with the RED arrow, and the other end to a secure ground. (Ground can be anything that is metal on the body of the car).

The other half of the wire you cut should be taped up, and NOT used. It’s the wire marked with the BLUE arrow.

STEP4: You’ll have to look underneath the dash. If you look straight up and to the left (against the driverside wall)…you’ll see a small relay. It’s the little piece marked with the YELLOW arrow.

You’ll need to CUT the RED wire. The piece of wire that stems from the relay is the one you’re about to use. This is the wire marked with the RED arrow. The other side should be taped up and NOT used.

You’ll need another piece of extension wire now. Attach one side of the extension wire to the red wire you just cut (the side that’s attached to the relay…marked in RED).

When you’re done attaching your extension wire to the relay, run it to the FRONT of the fuse box in preparation for the next step.

STEP5: On the fuse box, you’ll see a bunch of wire harnesses plugged in. Find the SECOND harness on the BOTTOM row. This is the harness marked with the RED arrow.

Locate the small GREEN wire on that harness. This is the wire marked with the GREEN arrow. You’ll need to SPLICE into this wire, and attach the wire that you just ran to the front of the fuse box to it. Remember that this wire is NOT to be cut. You merely splice into it.

You’re done the wiring aspect…..test out your lights, and if its all good, enjoy!

A couple side affects:

- If you leave your foglight switch in the ON position….everytime you lock your car via the stock remote, or aftermarket alarm…the foglights will also flash. If you have HIDs in your fogs, you might want to make sure that EVERYTIME you leave your car..you remember to turn that foglight switch off.
- This mod does not affect the stock system that prevents you from leaving your headlights/foglights on. IF you have your lights on, they’ll still turn off when you turn the car off, and open the driver door.
Last edited by TLMNICK on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Cool mod - thanks for taking time to document it so well!

I take it this is for Gen 1 only though, right?
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Oh yes, sorry...i'll edit that. This is assuming that the solara is GEN 1.

If anyone is willing to bring their GEN 2 to me for this mod though, I'll make a separate tutorial for those owners as well. I live in canada though (Pickering).
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SleeperSolara » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:20 am

Nice man. 8)
Great write up.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby pythonjosh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:39 pm

collum = column
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby feijai85 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:46 am

would this work for gen 1 camrys? i have a jdm foglight kit but i used the usdm wire harness.
feijai85
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby redgen1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 am

nice man, ill do that this weekend
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:07 am

Ty for the write up, I need to try my hand at this mod. It seems cool. 8)
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:25 am

feijai85 wrote:would this work for gen 1 camrys? i have a jdm foglight kit but i used the usdm wire harness.

It might work for a gen1 camry...but your foglight relay might be in a different location. The principal connections will be the same though.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby lilm » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:32 pm

do the foglights still turn on if the corner lights are off?
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:35 pm

lilm wrote:do the foglights still turn on if the corner lights are off?

Yes they will.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:48 pm

A couple of questions I have, does anyone know if its illegal to drive at night with the high beams on and the fogs? And (off topic, but similar) Does anyone's car have a door chime that dings if you take the key out but the lights are still on, a chime reminding you about the lights? Was this part of the Gen 1's? My car doesn't do that, but my Honda did. And one last question, would it be best to unplug the battery for this modification?
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby BLACK V6 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 am

Yes, it is illegal to have your HBs and fogs on at the same time. I dont really worry about it much though...
2002 Desert Silver Metallic RSX Type S

BLACK V6
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:04 am

Jakecallun20 wrote:A couple of questions I have, does anyone know if its illegal to drive at night with the high beams on and the fogs? And (off topic, but similar) Does anyone's car have a door chime that dings if you take the key out but the lights are still on, a chime reminding you about the lights? Was this part of the Gen 1's? My car doesn't do that, but my Honda did. And one last question, would it be best to unplug the battery for this modification?

It is technically illegal to drive with highbeams on...wheather you have your fogs on or not.
These cars do not have a door chime to remind you that your lights are on. IF you leave your lights on after you remove the key from the ignition, the lights will automatically shut off once the driver door is opened.
You can unplug the battery if it makes you feel safer, but i dont find it to me necessary. I've never pulled the battery off for anything unless it involved the airbag somehow.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby lilm » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:46 am

TLMNICK wrote:
Jakecallun20 wrote:A couple of questions I have, does anyone know if its illegal to drive at night with the high beams on and the fogs? And (off topic, but similar) Does anyone's car have a door chime that dings if you take the key out but the lights are still on, a chime reminding you about the lights? Was this part of the Gen 1's? My car doesn't do that, but my Honda did. And one last question, would it be best to unplug the battery for this modification?

It is technically illegal to drive with highbeams on...wheather you have your fogs on or not.
These cars do not have a door chime to remind you that your lights are on. IF you leave your lights on after you remove the key from the ignition, the lights will automatically shut off once the driver door is opened.
You can unplug the battery if it makes you feel safer, but i dont find it to me necessary. I've never pulled the battery off for anything unless it involved the airbag somehow.

don't say that you should take the battery off ANYTIME you do any sort of electrical maintenance not really because of shock vale 12v really isn't going to do anything but if you accidentally short out a wire to the ecu and do some damage to it
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5