[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

New Independent Foglight Mod. (GEN1)

Postby yoboyandre » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 am

??
yoboyandre
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:44 am

The point of this tutorial was to have it come on only with the parking lights....instead of the headlights. Its nicer looking that way.

I've never hooked them up so that they come on all on their own. It looks strange IMO.

If you MUST have it though....then you'll have to change one of the wires. The one that you connected to the GREEN wire at the front of the fuse box will have to be relocated to a wire that has a constant 12volts all the time. Off the top of my head I don't know where you'd find one, and I dont have my solara with me to check. You'll need to use a test light or volt meter to find one.

If you dont understand what I'm saying here, then don't touch anything until myself or someone else can post up detailed instructions or pics.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yoboyandre » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 pm

well i saw pics on the previous page someone posted and they look nice just the fogs, i just want to have the option to change back and forth you kno.... would changing this wire make the fogs stay on all the time?
yoboyandre
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm

No...you'll just have to make sure and remember to ALWAYS turn your foglight switch off before you leave the car. Keep in mind too that your lights wont turn off on their own if you leave them on.

On these cars, if you have your lights on when you turn the engine off.....the lights will stay on until you open the driver door....if you change that wire, then your headlights, and parking lights will turn off, but not the fogs...you'll have to do it yourself. Thats the only real side effect I can see.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yoboyandre » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:24 pm

okay.. thanks man!! alot of help =)
maybe ill put a switch or something lol
yoboyandre
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby l8nitr01 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks a lot for the tutirial. It was really easy to follow. Took about an hour and most of that was taking all the panels off and putting them back on. Really great work!
l8nitr01
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Pogs » Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Did this today, really happy with the results. Thanks for the write up Nick
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Skew » Wed May 20, 2009 7:39 pm

The picture I posted with just the fogs was a side affect. It took me a course of three days to completely finish the tutorial. In the middle of those days, I had only cut and grounded the wires from the signal stock, and that was a side affect.
| 99 SLE V6 | TRD AB Exhaust | Vinyl Matte Black Roof | Custom Mesh Grill | 20% Tint |
Skew
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby feniks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:08 pm

great DIY TLMNICK!

that's what i was looking for :)

will try it on my gen1 '00 Solara SE i4 the next weekend maybe. mine was built in Canada, so i am hoping for same wiring as the OP.
'02 Solara SLE 1MZ-FE/A541E Coupe .: Denso : Akebono SP : HIR :. @ 125k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E Coupe .: NGK : Hawk HPS : Philips Xtreme : RC : Magnefine :. @ 79k
feniks
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:50 pm

No problem. If you have any questions about it, let me know.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CDN_SOL » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 am

Does this mod work on the Canadian Gen 1.5 (with no DRL switch) ???
2003 DIAMOND WHITE PEARL SOLARA 2AZ-FE
CUSTOM MAGNAFLOW SS CATBACK || 28% TINT ALL AROUND || 2-12's with DVD INDASH || 5ZIGEN RIMS (Upgrading to 18s or 19s) || TEIN S-TECH & TOKICO BLUE || TRD RSB (Best MOD!) || TRD LIP KIT IN THE WORKS
CDN_SOL
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TLMNICK » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 am

Yes sir....I made this tutorial using my Canadian gen1
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 am

^And the foglight circuit is the same from Gen 1-1.5 color coding and all?
That's good info.
I love this mod, I use it all the time. :sweet:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby hecarmaldonado » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:04 am

i've been wanting to do this but i'm a wuss when it comes to eletronics in these vehicles....does it affect any of the warning lights in your car? like check engine or check lights warning by doing this mod?
hecarmaldonado
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kenny6683 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:20 pm

TLMNICK wrote:The point of this tutorial was to have it come on only with the parking lights....instead of the headlights. Its nicer looking that way.

so basically this just makes the fogs receive DRL signal? i did this on my car just by swapping headlight 12volt wire with the fogs on the wire harness under hood.. is this basically the same thing?
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5