[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Adding Trunk release/popper on gen 1...DONE!!!..updated pics
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Adding Trunk release/popper on gen 1...DONE!!!..updated pics

Adding Trunk release/popper on gen 1...DONE!!!..updated pics

Postby kenny6683 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:54 pm

i recently purchased Viper 5901 alarm..i wanted to take advantage of the AUX button. So i decided to add actuator to the trunk.

since i forgot to take a pic of the actuator here is a pic from the web
when button is pressed it will make actuator pull oem rod which will unlock trunk

The actuator has 2 wires and it does not matter which one you use for the ground...So just go ahead and ground either the blue or green wire. Then run the other one to the front of the vehicle (where alarm is...probably by steering column)

Now you must hook up a relay for this. If you dont have one go to auto parts store and pick one up...they're inexpensive maybe $5.

I made this diagram to show you how to hook up the wires...its very simple...if you dont understand let me know.

Then just hold the AUX button on your alarm and your trunk will unlock and open slightly...enjoy!
Last edited by kenny6683 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 pm

I have thought about this myself... is that a toyota OEM actuator you used?
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mazen222 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:32 pm

thatnks man!

one more thing on my to do list
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yoboyandre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:19 pm

How much it cost you? I thought about it i got the viper 5900 havent gone through with it yet..
yoboyandre
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kenny6683 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:39 pm

i recommend using door actuators like this (its universal)...they are cheap and very reliable. i wouldnt buy one from toyota because its too expensive and it does the same job. these cost under $20...you can find them at any alarm stores or ebay. this mod is so simple it only took me about 30 minutes to do everything above but then again i have worked with these before. I used these exact door actuators for my last car to pop the doors open (shaved handles).
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:32 pm

I did this to my 01 solara since it didn't come stock with a power trunk release. I didn't use an actuator though as they tend to not last as long. I used a cable solenoid.

The viper 5901 is a good unit. I put one in my winter car in place of the compustar pro unit that was in there before. I might do the same for the solara next summer. Compustar is good, but not AS good.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kenny6683 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:12 am

TLMNICK wrote:I did this to my 01 solara since it didn't come stock with a power trunk release. I didn't use an actuator though as they tend to not last as long. I used a cable solenoid.

The viper 5901 is a good unit. I put one in my winter car in place of the compustar pro unit that was in there before. I might do the same for the solara next summer. Compustar is good, but not AS good.

I actually think the actuators are better than solenoids.
2 reasons..
1st reason is the solenoids are very loud compared to actuator and
2nd reason is the solenoid during winter is the worst!!!. it becomes dry and every so often needs to be greased.

oh and an actuator is so easy to install compared to the solenoid which is heavier and bulky

i had a compustar with pager on my 240..it was a great alarm but the range on viper was better which is why i didnt get one this time
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5