[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 5SFE oil change
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

5SFE oil change

5SFE oil change

Postby Turbosolara » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:41 am

Before you began, make sure you have a oil collection pan, oil container (at least 2 gallon capcity), 4 bottle of new engine oil (4 qt of oil) (5w-30 or 10W-30, if you dont understand this then please read the user manual and pick the one you need), a new oil filter (i usually use bosch PN# 3311 from autozone, $6) and a new drain plug gasket (you may get it from autoshop or toyota dealer). Synthetic oil is the best oil you can pick..

1. Open your hood Let the engine cool down

2. Jack up the car at a flat ground. If you are not sure how to jack up your car, ASK!! and make sure you put two jack stands under the car (if you are not sure where to place the jack stand, ask!!) I think user manual has those information with pictures

3. Remove oil cap

4. go under the car from the front passanger side and you will will see a black big flat pan with silver screw that is facing the rear end. Thats the oil drain plug

5. Place the oil collection pan under the plug

. Use 14mm socket to open drain plug, pull the wrench towarding you (if its hella hard to turn it, then maybe i remeber wrong direction :oops: )

6. once the drain plug starts move, just use your finger gentlely turn it and take it out.

7. you will see the oil shoot out into the oil collector pan

8. Go stand in front of you car and use your hand or tool to take out the oil filter. turn it counterclock wise.

9 Apply some used/new engine oil on the rubber ring of the new oil filter

10. install the new oil filter by your bare hand, tighten it. dont need to make it too tight (or you will have hard time to take it out next time) but also not make it loose.

11. take out the old paper gasket from the drain plug and put on the new gasket onto the drain plug.

12. install it back to oil pan. please dont use large size wrench which has good protential to stripped the thread of your oil pan. just to lock it tight and not over tighten it.

13. put in new engine oil (3.3 - 3.8 qt). stop at low first, you can check the oil level later, after you drop the car on the ground

14. After add engine oil step complete, then take out the oil collector pan and dump into your container (you can recycle it later at autozone, kregan, pepboys, or some autoshops)

15. lift up the car jack and take out jack stands. slowly let the car drop on the ground.

16. you can start the car and let it run (with engine oil cap on) like 5 second and shut it off, then check the stick for the oil level. If it is not on the full level, add more.

14. warm up the engine and drive it around. come back and let it cool for about 10-20 minutes.

15. try to use your hand to reach the oil drain plug, see if there is any leak near the plug. If there is excess leak (i.e. so much that it's dripping), then you should tight it more. If it just moisture, then i would say dont worry about it or tight it a little bit more? just dont strip the thread. If it is dry, then its perfect...you are done.
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby impactX » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:44 pm

I usually let it drain for an hour.

Start the engine for 5-10 second, turn it off.

Then remove the oil filter.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby oompah2788 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:18 pm

sorry if this is a dumb question and i dont have a service manual but where exactly is the oil filter located and what size wrench do i need to remove it?

Thanks! :D
oompah2788
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Turbosolara » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:08 am

The oil filter is locat right under your exhaust maniford (header) (if you have 99-01 4 cylinder 5sfe). A circular can looks object. It usually can be remove by hand or you need to buy the oil filter wrench at any autoshop. When you tighten it, use hand to screw it back and do not use any tool. make sure you put some oil around the rubber before you put it back
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby SolaraT » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:28 pm

good tutorial!

I don't let the engine cool down as the oil moves faster when hotter.

I never changed the drain gasket. I will now! hehe.

Thanks!
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby Whatever » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:51 am

how many qt do i need if i have a V6?
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SolaraT » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:41 am

five
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby s15lara » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:25 am

it says 5, but i need 5 1/2 qt. i dont know why but it does not get full until i use that amount. dont know why. i always thought that it had to be full when the car was cold and not hot. do you have to heat up the car and then check if its full? or does it have to be cold? sorry for the dumb question.
s15lara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Hsakuragi » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:35 am

u are burning oil if u need more than 5
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SolaraT » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:11 pm

One should check the oil level on every gas up. I do. If I need to add I add.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby Yanks0114 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:24 pm

hsakuragi wrote:u are burning oil if u need more than 5

Thats not burning oil because his car hasn't even been on. He is just refilling.

Either you are doing something wrong, you have a huge leak, or you bought an extra capacity oil filter although i was unaware that any existed
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Hsakuragi » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:46 pm

Yanks0114 wrote:
hsakuragi wrote:u are burning oil if u need more than 5

Thats not burning oil because his car hasn't even been on. He is just refilling.

Either you are doing something wrong, you have a huge leak, or you bought an extra capacity oil filter although i was unaware that any existed

Even though buring oil or not, there is no need for 5.5 qts of oil in the engine, I'm using the toyota v8 filters and I still only need 5 qts of oil.

Anyway, this thread is not for the v6 oil change, so I'll stop here. :roll:
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:07 am

Just was reading and found some irregularitis and wanted to point them out.

the 5sfe (2.2 i4) takes in about 3.6 qts of motor oi (i do a diy at 3.6-4) depending on how long the draining process was.

the imzfe (3.0 v6) takes in about 4.6 qts of motor oil (i do an even 5) regardless of how long it drips!

I know some of you said 5.5 or more..your either adding too much oil or your burning some!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Hsakuragi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:56 am

^ u sure it's US Qts?

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:39 am

hsakuragi wrote:^ u sure it's US Qts?

yes! :roll: (i don't have my car manual with me...but i posted what i remember reading and What i actually input). 4.5 on a 5s is WAY too much! my dip sticks over full on 4qts.....BTW: when do you check you oil, after you pour in oil or after its been poured for a while? cus' if you check it just as you added it, its going to take a while before the dip stick reflects it. I check it the day of oilchange to ensure i'm not low (not that i'm full) and i check it a day later (after operating the car for a while) to see the levels are full! If i were to check and try to make the levels full on the first day, obvioulsy i'll be adding more than 4qts on a 5sfe...but come back next day and the dip stick is over full!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5