[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Washing and Waxing a Car
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Washing and Waxing a Car

Postby Jon11582 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:21 am

Carbuna hardly last a week on mine for some reason. I think I just have too many contaminants on the body, since I havent decontaminated since I got the car new. Ill be washin as soon as I finish lunch, and I got the DIY instructions printed out and in hand so that I get it done right :). Its a nice cloudy day, perfect for waxing.

Found out it wont rain til Sunday night now either, so I got more leeway.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:28 pm

Just finished. Started at 2:15 and just ended at near 9:00. (yea, im pretty meticulous) I had to turn the floodlight on to finish buffing the wax. Allergies were killin me out there too, so I think the plants are in full effect. We'll see how it holds up against the pollen tomorrow. Too dark now to take pictures though, but Ill post about it in another thread in detailing since this is kind of getting OT.

BTW, i followed the instructions pretty closely. Only difference is

1) I dawned the car before washing to get what was left of the the weak wax I put on 2 weeks ago off.
2) Claybared the whole car after washing, before swirling
3) I used microfiber towels instread of terry cloth ones.

The claybar is freakin awesome. I think it needs to be done in addition to the steps in the first post. Theres a definite pointed difference after claybaring. The car is much much smoother after going over it with that chunk of playdoh. The clay almost turned brown after I was done, and this was after a thorough washing. It got alot of unmanned shopping cart paint off too, among other weird unidentifiable stuff.

And I cant get that squeak after polishing. Im not sure if its my polish (Meguiar's ColorX) or the microfiber towels, but no matter how much I buff, I couldnt get the squeak, it was just smooth.

Also, for the adminiring part, I couldnt get the microfiber towel to fly off the car, but I think its because its got more "cleaning fingers" and thus, more fricting. The terry cloth applicator pad went flyin like a frisbee though. Im a happy man.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gyrlee22 » Wed May 12, 2004 7:57 am

I found this combo pack at PepBoys... look any good? If not, what do you recommend for a first time buyer of waxes and shampoo... got a lot of ideas from the posts already, but i just need a basic of idea of the simplest/cheapest/nices look... thanx

:) Meguiars Gift Pack

Kit includes : Cleaner wax. Quick Detailer, Soft wash Gel, Scratch X & High Gloss Endurance Protectant Gel
gyrlee22
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5