[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Washing and Waxing a Car
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Washing and Waxing a Car

Postby PureNocence » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:52 am

Anonymous wrote:very good advice yanks.

i own a 99 red mustang vert :);)

i saw pretty much this same tutorial on stangnet.

Stangnet eh....my boyfriend posts on there :)

Anyways, that's a pretty cool tutorial but I'm gonna have to insert my "Zaino" instead of the Meguiars...although I hear that this other wax/polish that I just can't seem to think of the name right now, I know it starts with a "K", is suppose to be pretty good. Oh and I also heard some good things about "...something grand" lol let me get back to you folks when I get my correct names right :wink:
PureNocence
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby AzN_DrAgoN48 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:50 am

does meguiars scratch x work well for the swirl marks?
2001 Dark Blue Solara SE V6
8000k Osram HID
Silverstars fogs
Clear Corners
Passport 8500 Hardwired
Two Alpine 12" Type R Subs
JBL BP600.1
AzN_DrAgoN48
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:22 am

PureNocence wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
I know it starts with a "K", is suppose to be pretty good. Oh and I also heard some good things about "...something grand" lol let me get back to you folks when I get my correct names right :wink:

Klasse All-In-One
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Postby bbchevy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:31 am

For the detail fanatic go to this site

www.griotsgarage.com

A little pricey but they have some good stuff.
bbchevy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bbchevy » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:53 pm

Got a good trick from my neighbor who has his rims so shiny you need to look at them with sunglasses on. He hardly ever washes them and dosn't have those ghetto dust shields either. He applied glass wax from the hardware store and apparently the brake dust doesn't stick. They look amazing.
bbchevy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:32 am

bbchevy wrote:Got a good trick from my neighbor who has his rims so shiny you need to look at them with sunglasses on. He hardly ever washes them and dosn't have those ghetto dust shields either. He applied glass wax from the hardware store and apparently the brake dust doesn't stick. They look amazing.

Yep, kinda like in the 60's (heard this from my pop-in-law) they used to use toothpaste! I've tried it with waxes and toothpaste....all it doesn is redude the time i need to clean my wheels....
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Klasse

Postby bigpow » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:44 am

PureNocence wrote:Anyways, that's a pretty cool tutorial but I'm gonna have to insert my "Zaino" instead of the Meguiars...although I hear that this other wax/polish that I just can't seem to think of the name right now, I know it starts with a "K", is suppose to be pretty good. Oh and I also heard some good things about "...something grand" lol let me get back to you folks when I get my correct names right :wink: [/color]

Klasse Concours kit: All-in-One + High Gloss Sealant
-> silicon base - anti-static, creates layers of silicon

IS better than:

Blitz One Grand Carnauba Wax
-> static! have to wash the car every other week

It's Klasse for me.
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby AzN_DrAgoN48 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:51 pm

i want the best shine when it comes spring so i have a few questions. here are the products i have :

Scratch X
Mothers Clay bar system.
Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
Gold Class wax
Mr Clean Auto Dry
Meguiars 3 step system (cleaner wax, polish, wax)
Zymol shampoo
Zymol Cleaner wax.

what products should i use and in which order? thanks in advance btw i have some swirls too. and come spring it will be 6 months since i last waxed my car.
2001 Dark Blue Solara SE V6
8000k Osram HID
Silverstars fogs
Clear Corners
Passport 8500 Hardwired
Two Alpine 12" Type R Subs
JBL BP600.1
AzN_DrAgoN48
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:56 am

I'd suggest this order: (regardless of which product(s) you use)

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay bar (use the lubrication...i've seen a kit that came without the lubrication...and for those who don't know how to use a claybar on a car...do more harm than good)
3. polish (wipe off)
4. wax...finito! :D
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby LOO_SILL » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:32 pm

JoeB wrote:Anybody else have trouble with rock chips on the front end? Is there something in the cleaning/polishing procedure that can minimize the appearance of these blemishes? I have used the matching touch-up paint from the dealer but it still leaves a rough spot and when I wax it, the wax tends to collect there and not wipe off. Any ideas? -JoeB

JoeB....has a valid question that no one has seemed to have answered. I would like to know a solution to this as well. I have used the dealer touchup paint and clear coat but my hood looks nasty now (up close). I had then decided to get the hood repainted, but it still did not stop the rocks from chipping the paint. I purchased a Le Bra and it works great for the bugs but not for the rocks... Holla back and tell us what we should do?
NO1BLACKMAN

'99 SOLARA SE,BLK
19% smoke tint,factory match woodgrain kit,Pioneer DEH 7500 headunit, JVC component 6 1/2 & 4" x2,MTX 404 AMP pushing,Infinity 6x9 Loudspeaker x2,MTX thunder6000 12" isobaric bandpass,bridged
LOO_SILL
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:10 am

LOO_SILL wrote:
JoeB wrote:Anybody else have trouble with rock chips on the front end? Is there something in the cleaning/polishing procedure that can minimize the appearance of these blemishes? I have used the matching touch-up paint from the dealer but it still leaves a rough spot and when I wax it, the wax tends to collect there and not wipe off. Any ideas? -JoeB

JoeB....has a valid question that no one has seemed to have answered. I would like to know a solution to this as well. I have used the dealer touchup paint and clear coat but my hood looks nasty now (up close). I had then decided to get the hood repainted, but it still did not stop the rocks from chipping the paint. I purchased a Le Bra and it works great for the bugs but not for the rocks... Holla back and tell us what we should do?

I have an OEM bra, Only time i don't have it on my car is when i know its gonna rain that day! I don't know le Bra's, but the front end mask should protect the front end paint from small rocks and bugs..mine does! I know there are clear bra's, and they comes in different thickness's to endure rock chips! As far as JoeB's touchup goes...my suggestion would be to buy the touch up thats like nailpolish, then after it dries..to claybar and polish+was later...hope this helps!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby whiteflash » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:27 pm

The only wax I use is Meguiar's Caranuba or Black Magic Wax But I guess all of them really do the same thing
Injen w/CAI Extension
Vogtland Springs
Tokico Struts
Custom Full exhaust
TWM Shortshiftter
8000K HID Kit
whiteflash
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby xyntax » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:21 pm

Has anyone used the new NXT on their Solara? They were all over the place at the recent HIN. Also, the guys at rx8club are almost 50/50 now on Zaino and NXT. I've seen it at Autozone before anyone has mentioned it, but I thought it was just another "miracle wax" that would come and go soon. I guess I was wrong. I think the best part of it is that it doesn't leave a powdery residue. Bad thing is, it takes 24 hours to completely cure. The first couple of hours would look swirly and stuff. Well, I just got my Zaino package so I will be trying this out first. After that, maybe I'll try the NXT.

ps. oh I also heard good things about Zymol. Anyone have any input?
-~=| XYNTAX |=~-

2AZ-FE & 13B-MSP
xyntax
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:28 pm

Im doing NXT tommorow. My cars in pretty bad shape, so ill do some before and afters.

Its supposted to rain the day after, but I think I can make te 24 hr cut. if it get it done by dusk.

Im dawning the old wash&wax off. Gold class wash (cant find NXT wash here), Clay Magic, ScratchX swirl removal, ColorX polish, and finally NXT wax. Doing the whole treatment.

I hear a big diff with Zaino and NXT is durability..Zaino is much more durable, where I hear the NXT can wear off in 2 weeks under some conditions. Since its summer, i dont much mind, but its something to consider. Maybe the booster wax would help that staying power...I got that too...
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby xyntax » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:37 pm

Oh really? That sucks. That's one issue I have when it comes to wax: durability. Took me awhile to step up and get Zaino. The carnuba wax just didn't last very long and I was just waiting til I finish the can off.

deanq
-~=| XYNTAX |=~-

2AZ-FE & 13B-MSP
xyntax
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5