[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - FULL Transmission/Differential change
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

FULL Transmission/Differential change

FULL Transmission/Differential change

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm looking to correctly change my transmission fluid and differential while I'm at it. I know there is a post or two on here that explains how to do this but they are not descriptive enough for me (sorry) and I still have a lot of questions. I appreciate any help I can get! I don't have a manual for my 00 Solara. I rather have this forum's professional, or semi-professional, opinion. Just treat this like I don't know what the hell i'm doing because I'm still learning DIY's for my Solara. All I know is its been 45000 miles and 6 years since my last change from the dealer. Not even sure if the differential had been touched. Here's my questions:

-How do I change the transmission fluid and the differential fluid and where are the plugs located?
-Exactly which fluid should I use for the transmission and the differential?
-How many quarts go into the transmission and the differential? How do I add fluid to the differential/transmission and is it the tranny the exact same fluid as the differential?
-Should I, and how do I, change or just clean the transmission filter? How would I go about cleaning it?
-Will I definently need to replace the transmission filter gasket once removed?
-Is a flush or a cleansing addative reccomended for the transmission? (I know THIS is on a post but still think its valid to bring up!)
-What else do I need to know to do these fluid changes properly?

I'm looking to do this as cheaply as possible but also correctly because I don't want to *bleep* up my transmission. I don't want to pay $100+ for something I can do. I'll also know its done properly. Pics would help if possible. Thanks for everyones descriptive info!
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: FULL Transmission/Differential change

Postby 1gSE » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:36 am

auto or manual?
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:29 pm

automatic
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:53 am

This might help: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6004125/a541e ... -Transaxle

The main transmission chamber, and the differential use the same fluid.
They are both filled via the orange transmission dipstick. But, the diff has a separate drain.
It shouldn't take more than 5 quarts if you are just draining and refilling. A flush is best
to have done at a shop by a pro, but it cost a lot more and isn't totally necessary.
If you just drain the fluid, you can then drop the pan and use an aerosol parts cleaner to
clean it up. Make sure to clean the gunk off of the magnets, there are three of them.
Also make sure you put them back exactly where they came from.
You can usually reuse the original pan gasket. You can replace the filter if you
want, but you might be able to clean it. Personally I would buy a filter and decide whether to
use it when I had the old one taken off. That way I have it if I decide I want it, and I can return
it if I decide I don't need it. After the job is done, shift through all the gear positions to get fluid
into all the parts of the tranny before you drive anywhere. Make sure the fluid level is as close
to the exact correct level as you can get it. I hope that helps. Good Luck and have fun!
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah it does. i should be able to drop the pan with a 10mm torque wrench and clean everything out and do a fill as well. Thanks
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 pm

don't use a torque wrench to loosen bolts
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5