[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1st gen V6 CAI install (w/o removing fender)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

1st gen V6 CAI install (w/o removing fender)

1st gen V6 CAI install (w/o removing fender)

Postby minig646 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:24 pm

A lot of people have expressed difficulty installing a cold air extension on their first gen V6’s without removing their fender, and after doing it myself, I can see why. It wasn’t a simple process, but this is how I did it. Maybe this can help someone else.

Tools/materials:
~Tire iron
~Jack and stand
~Metric wrenches & socket wrenches (as small as possible to fit in tight spaces)
~Phillips head screwdriver
~Big pliers
~CAI extension
~6” long 3” diameter additional extension pipe
~Additional 3” diameter coupling hose
~Lots of time and patience

1. Jack up the driver’s side of the car and remove the wheel (use a pipe to get extra leverage if you’re a little guy like me)

2. Pull the black plastic fender lining out. This consists of removing a few black 10mm bolts with a phillips head inside the wheel well, a few annoying black clips along the edge, and some bolts underneath fastening the lining to the front skid plate. I broke a few clips in frustration, but they aren’t expensive. This lining is flexible, so you can probably get away with only undoing the front half.

3. Pull out the driver’s side corner light for helpful access from another angle. Remove the black screw on top. Now it is just held in by somewhat stubborn clips, so gently but firmly coax it forward then out. Do NOT yank it out, as the bulb is still in it- once it’s out enough to get behind it, remove the bulb and set the light aside.

4. Move the fusebox out of the way. This was tough the first time. Take the cover off for better access to the bolts holding the box onto the side of the engine compartment, and remove these 2 bolts. There are also white plastic clips holding it in place underneath the fusebox that you can’t see: reach up behind the fender and find them. Pinch and push up. The fusebox won’t come out thanks to a bunch of wires underneath, but now you can at least push it out of the way.Image

5. If you haven’t already, remove the white box inside the fender that used to be part of the stock intake. If your car is jacked up and the fender lining is off, this should be pretty simple.

6. See that hole where the old intake went? This is where I think most people hit a snag. The hole is not big enough to easily maneuver the extension pipe through. I took some big pliers and bent some of the thin metal back to make the hole wider. If you cut the ends of the stretch of metal you’re bending back, it makes for a cleaner look. Keep bending and trying to fit the pipe until it works. No need to bend back more than you need to.

7. If your extension lines up nicely with the end of your SRI, skip this step. This was a second problem some people had: after getting the extension through that hole, there was a gap between the extension and the original SRI (in my case, an injen), like the extension wasn’t long enough. Rather than stretch and wrestle with it or bend more metal back, I got a 3” diameter extension to the extension, about 6” long, give or take. This is also why you need the extra coupling hose.

8. Once one end of the extension is connected to the SRI, go underneath and install the filter on the other end. It’s pretty protected from water here, but if you want extra peace of mind, you can get a fairly inexpensive hydroshield like this: http://www.amazon.com/Injen-Technology-X-1033BLK-Hydro-Shield-Pre-Filter/dp/B001CO2JDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1304297345&sr=8-2

9. Put everything back together and lower the car off the jacks. I let mine idle for a minute so the computer could adjust to new airflow. I’m not sure that it’s 100% necessary, but I like to be safe. I didn’t feel any noticeable power difference, but I’m sure that will change once July gets here. Enjoy the new sound, too!
ImageImage

This was my first and only time doing this, so anyone with more experience should feel free to correct anything I said. Good luck!
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 1st gen V6 CAI install (w/o removing fender)

Postby GzNutz » Sun May 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Nice write-up.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: 1st gen V6 CAI install (w/o removing fender)

Postby chullen1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Nice write up, one thing is I used a hump hose as my connector between the two pipes and this helps with connection and gives it a little bit of movement if needed.
chullen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5