[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Yep, still a noob here... need some help
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Yep, still a noob here... need some help

Yep, still a noob here... need some help

Postby ComaBlack » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:36 am

So, I've been searching all around this site (and others) trying to figure out what type of bulbs to install, but I'm still confused. I haven't modded anything on my car before so I'm still very new to this.

I just wanted to change up how it looks, I think I want the fog lights to be yellow, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm still unsure of the temp I should be looking at and the wattage... like I said, I'm new at this.

If I change the fog lights, should I change the headlights as well? I heard that if you change one bulb, it consequently makes the other bulbs burn out soon after, is that true?

Thanks in advance.
ComaBlack
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Yep, still a noob here... need some help

Postby 1gSE » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:37 am

are you lookin for an HID or halogen bulb? If you're changing the fog lights to HIDs then I'd recommend changing the headlights as well. They're independent of each other (as far as life and burning out goes) For wattage, any automotive light will do...unless you're going to HIDs then 35w will be sufficient, 55w (brighter) usually runs hotter and is not recommended for fog lights. I had 55w headlights but switched back to 35 when one ballast died

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39711
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ComaBlack » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:17 am

1gSE wrote:are you lookin for an HID or halogen bulb? If you're changing the fog lights to HIDs then I'd recommend changing the headlights as well. They're independent of each other (as far as life and burning out goes) For wattage, any automotive light will do...unless you're going to HIDs then 35w will be sufficient, 55w (brighter) usually runs hotter and is not recommended for fog lights. I had 55w headlights but switched back to 35 when one ballast died

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39711

This is part of the reason why I was unsure; on another thread here someone said that you shouldn't change fog lights to HIDs, why would someone say that?
ComaBlack
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:32 am

IIRC, something about being too bright and just reflecting off the fog rather than penetrating it. I say do what you want. I rarely deal with fog in Greece, but there's a ton of dark narrow roads so I need all the extra light I can get, especially lighting the edges of the road....go too far off one way and you can end up tumbling down a hill into the sea
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chriscarter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:04 am

Although not mandatory, it is advisable to replace bulbs using the same brand/style of bulb. For example, if you replace original stock Japanese bulbs with bulbs from your auto parts store or Wal-Mart, buy the brand name bulbs (Phillips, GE, Sylvania) and replace them in pairs (you can do headlights 1 at a time unless you're doing HID or white lights).

If your car has a bulb integrity sensor (tells you when a bulb is burned out), it can be fooled by the diferences between bulbs. Some bulbs use copper in the base, some use aluminum alloy, etc. That's why you usually want to replace small bulbs in pairs if you can't replace with exactly what you took out.
chriscarter

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5