[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How to make your custom grill!
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

How to make your custom grill!

Postby WTF?? » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:37 pm

MGLax13 wrote:I tried taking my grill off today and I started by removing the top 3 bolts, and the next thing I know, I'm starting to pull my bumper off, so I don't think I was going about it the right way. How would I go about takign it off?

From previous threads... theyre held down by three clips... I think theyre located on the bottom 2 sides and one in the middle
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby TITO » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:18 pm

First off, I bought the mesh at Kragen (more expensive than the cheap stuff on Ebay but there is no comparison). I also bought (at Kragen) interior door panel CLIPS that you can hook to the very edge of the mesh and screw to the grill "frame" from the inside where it cannot be seen after you reinstall the grill. If you need more help, E-mail me anytime.
To take the grill off, you undo the 3 bolts. Then you pull on the grill on ONE side while pushing down on the tab that slide into the bumper. It does take some firm pulling to get it out. You will notice that I cut out the verticle strips and sanded down the frame part remaining and painted. Let me know if you guys want any more info.
99 V6, LOWERED, COOL CUSTOM GRILL, TINTED WINDOWS, CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, WHITE 17" WHEELS, BODY KIT, CLEAR CORNERS, INTAKE WITH K&N.
TITO
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: How to make your custom grill!

Postby LOO_SILL » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:02 pm

Solaradude wrote:I really didn't like the chrome outlining and the toyota logo.....so this is what I did.

1. Took out the Toyota logo (Use dental floss)
2. Took out the grill.
3. Sanded down the chrome part (Used Black & Decker's sandmouse)
4. Rinsed it with water and waited 10 minutes or so.
5. Spray painted with Flat black (twice) and waited 30 mins.
6. Spray painted with Clear coat ;)

It took me about 2 hours.

Steve :evilbat:

I have never done anything like this before, but I am gonna try this just as soon as the snow clears...wish me luck. :fadein:
NO1BLACKMAN

'99 SOLARA SE,BLK
19% smoke tint,factory match woodgrain kit,Pioneer DEH 7500 headunit, JVC component 6 1/2 & 4" x2,MTX 404 AMP pushing,Infinity 6x9 Loudspeaker x2,MTX thunder6000 12" isobaric bandpass,bridged
LOO_SILL
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby WTF?? » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:47 pm

miltdoggie wrote:
TITO wrote:First off, I bought the mesh at Kragen (more expensive than the cheap stuff on Ebay but there is no comparison). I also bought (at Kragen) interior door panel CLIPS that you can hook to the very edge of the mesh and screw to the grill "frame" from the inside where it cannot be seen after you reinstall the grill. If you need more help, E-mail me anytime.
To take the grill off, you undo the 3 bolts. Then you pull on the grill on ONE side while pushing down on the tab that slide into the bumper. It does take some firm pulling to get it out. You will notice that I cut out the verticle strips and sanded down the frame part remaining and painted. Let me know if you guys want any more info.

Yo tito I've pmed you twice, asking you what exact type of clip should I use??? Whats up man, please let me know???

I think you can speak to him personally when we meet up in Central Cal... maybe go get the clips yourselves in fact haha... but i know ill be talking to him... hopefully he shows up
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??

Postby TITO » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:19 pm

The clips are Body Tite interior panel fasteners. Let me know if you need more help. The offer still stands, I can make the grill for you so you won't end up having to buy a new grill and then have me make it anyways :lol:
99 V6, LOWERED, COOL CUSTOM GRILL, TINTED WINDOWS, CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, WHITE 17" WHEELS, BODY KIT, CLEAR CORNERS, INTAKE WITH K&N.
TITO
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kondo » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:04 pm

Hey Tito are you going to be at the meet this weekend?
I want to make a black grill to match my rims, I am going to be staying at the Rosegarden inn in Pismo on friday and Saturday. If I buy the stuff to do it can you meet up with me either friday, saturday or sunday morning and help me chage up my grill. I really want to do my front end like yours but I want to use black mesh and change my emblem color to black. Thanks
Nick
99 sle, 03 evo
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby Solaradude » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:32 am

yea my black grille matches my rims and tint :) and my car is pearl white ;) o0o0o0o0o0 baby!

I will bankroll your poker career!! visit www.instant-bankroll.com
Solaradude
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

paint and clear coat

Postby ez384 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:13 pm

I did the same thing by mistake though. I have a black solara 2001 and I was washing it with a power washer and I striped the chrome off my grill and it turnd black with little sparkles from the leftover chrome. It looks nice but I want to make it all black.

What type of paint and clear coat did you use?

What grain sandpaper?
ez384
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ez384 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:54 pm

i just finished my grill today, color matched it with my car(black) with gloss coat. the only thing hard was the 2 pins to take off the toyota logo but besides that it was easy. Ill post pics up for you guys to see the finished grill.
ez384
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby impactX » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:58 am

Welcome to the thread of not-being-able-to-return-the-car-to-stock.

Use vinyl instead of sanding the chrome down and paint it. :P BTW, an OEM grille worth around 80USD, don't ruin it if you don't have to.

Drag this link into the address bar in your browser:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/p27f7437a89b72e24f7dd1fed7f57aa1f/fd0df3fa.jpg.orig.jpg
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solaradude » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:35 pm

guys.......

just a reminder...

you HAVE to use FLAT black, otherwise your grill will look like a shiny, i-did-it-at-home cheapo look.

just my .02

PS i will take a pic of my car and show it to u guys
I will bankroll your poker career!! visit www.instant-bankroll.com
Solaradude
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JoeB » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:40 pm

Has anybody done a grill like impactX's in red? Any opinions on how it might look? Obviously I'm talking about on a red car. -JoeB
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby impactX » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:50 pm

JoeB wrote:Has anybody done a grill like impactX's in red? Any opinions on how it might look? Obviously I'm talking about on a red car. -JoeB

You will have to find vinyl that fits your car's color.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5