[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cellophane!
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Cellophane!

Cellophane!

Postby MGLax13 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:31 pm

This is kind of a DIY and a tip that I've stumbled upon. Cellophane is great for making lights in your car light up blue. I've used it for the turn signals on the gauge cluster. I cut out 4 circles of blue cellophane, put 2 circles layered on each other where the green circles used to be, then I cut little cirles out of the lid of a soup container that you get from the chinese restaurant and put that on top of those circles. The lid is kinda cloudy so you can't see the blue under neath and it looks like 2 kinda white arrows in your cluster, then you put on your blinkers and they light up blue! I also took the little green peice of plastic behind the " P R N D 2 1" on the cluster, used a bench grinder with a fine wheel, took off all the green paint (and the orange there the "N" is). If you look carefully, it's only on one side of that plastic. Once I had that plastic clear (it doesn't have to be perfectly clear, mine was very hazy) I then sprayed some spray adhesive that I used to carpet my sub box onto that peice and put a peice of blue cellophane on it. I let it dry, sprayed the cellophane and put another peice over it so it was 2 layers of blue. I let it dry, trimmed off the over hang, punched the 2 litle holes in it and slid it back in, now all those things light up blue. I took the light covers on my visor, cut a pece big enough to cover it, stuck it behind there and now it's blue. Did the same for my dome light. I now plan on trying to find a way to use that over the clock and maybe inside the HVAC buttons.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby WTF?? » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:46 am

lol sounds koo... post up sum pics!

i guess its a cheaper way than buying new blue bulbs

just be careful not to let the cellophane burn onto the bulbs... and *p0p!* :o
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby FLASH » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:05 pm

On a side note, cellaphane works, but I've found that transparency paper colored over with marker works a little bit better because it won't melt as easy. I did my clock red using this method and it's great
==FLASH==
99 Solara SE with Many Mods (See outdated website) - Weekend Warrior
2001 Cadillac Deville Daily Driver
(Wife's) 2007 Toyota Camry LE with Basic Mods
(Sister's) 2011 "Pink Prius"
FLASH
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby MGLax13 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:52 pm

Some places it was just better looking then getting blue bulbs like in the automatic gear display and the blinkers. I'm gonna try to use it on the clock. Got any pics of how you did it flash?
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby HKSV6SLE » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:13 pm

post some pixs when you get a chance to.
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby krawzyazn » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 pm

for some reason i feel that is ghetto lol :drinking:
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby kubi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:31 pm

krawzyazn wrote:for some reason i feel that is ghetto lol :drinking:

If it works then it works. Feel free to come up with a better way to do it. I did about the same thing for my clock.
Please stop humping my car, owner privilege!
kubi
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Hsakuragi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:37 pm

hey i got a blue clock
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby FLASH » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:06 pm

krawzyazn wrote:for some reason i feel that is ghetto lol :drinking:

haha, people who have talked to me out of the boards or in PM's will tell you I'm the first to admit to being Ricey and Ghetto :lol: but I don't care, what works..works. Im mad busy, when I get time, Ill get pics of the clock and painted console up.

I cant take pics of HOW I did it, but Ill make a DIY in the DIY section. In order to take pics, I'd have to rip everything apart again...and I dont feel like doing that :wink:
==FLASH==
99 Solara SE with Many Mods (See outdated website) - Weekend Warrior
2001 Cadillac Deville Daily Driver
(Wife's) 2007 Toyota Camry LE with Basic Mods
(Sister's) 2011 "Pink Prius"
FLASH
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby MGLax13 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:41 pm

It's not ghetto, it's creative. Another way is to paint the inside of these covers with transparent paint.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Hsakuragi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:06 pm

you only have to sacrafice that brown thing in front of the clock to make it bright. If you put blue on the clock, with that brown cover, it will turn dark green, i've been there man...
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby MGLax13 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:08 pm

So what exacctly do you do? You take off the tan cover, put the blue over the clock and that's it?
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Hsakuragi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:16 pm

EXACTLY

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5