[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Changing the color of your clock
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Changing the color of your clock

Changing the color of your clock

Postby FLASH » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:57 am

This is somthing that some people have wanted to do for a while. I recently experimented (with success) and made mine red.

1) Take apart the entire center console. It's easiest to detach EVERYTHING, including the clock and Hazard lights button, until you're left with the console, the two air vents in it, and the clock (you have to UNPLUG the clock and the hazard lite button)

2) there are either 2 or 4 screws that hold the clock into the console. Unscrew them, the whole clock console will come out.

3) So now youre chillin with the console and the clock. The clock has a brown face plate over it that is held in by..8 clips I believe. With some effort, you can manuever off the clips, and the brown faceplate (which is the only part of the "clock" taht you actually see when its in the car) comes off. What youre left with (total) is the console, the clock unit, and the brown faceplate.

4) Now, to make your clock
blue, leave the face plate off, and screw the clock back in and re-connect everything. this will also make for a brighter clock read out, however there will be nothing protecting it since you left the brown face plate off.

5) To make the clock
Red , here's what i did. i got a REALLY fat Red permanent marker and colored the inside of the brown faceplate. I colored the ENTIRE thing, not just the area where the clock is located. If you leave it at that and put it on, the clock will be a dark pink, which may suit your needs, however I wanted mine more red.

6) I got transparency paper (the kind your teachers used in grade school) and with that same Red marker, I made a large red block on the paper, i colored both sides of the paper. I let it dry, cut out that block and taped it to the inside of the already colored brown faceplate. i attached it back onto the clock unit and re-attached everything else. My clock is now as red as the current font you are reading, however the clock isn't as bright as it was. But this is how I colored my clock red.

I don't know how/if this will work with other colors, you're free to try your own, at your own risk :wink:

About the brightness of the clock: On a normally sunny day, with my headlights off, i can see it just fine. However, when i turn my headlights on (and the clock dims and my readouts light up) I can BARELY see the time. However, at nite time (when all is dark around the clock) I can read the clock just fine. the only problem I have is on a sunny day with my headlights on.

Good luck with your own work if you decide to do it and feel free to ask any questions. I will have pictures up when I get the chance.
==FLASH==
99 Solara SE with Many Mods (See outdated website) - Weekend Warrior
2001 Cadillac Deville Daily Driver
(Wife's) 2007 Toyota Camry LE with Basic Mods
(Sister's) 2011 "Pink Prius"
FLASH
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Hsakuragi » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:00 am

but yes as i said before at the other post, for the best brightness (day and night), you have to take out that brown shield in front of it.
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby all_red » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:36 am

and finally for the pleasure of all those who were moaning about tutorials... Flash got you something!!!
5-speed V6.
TRD Supercharger.
TRD Short Throw Shifter.
Tokico/Eibach combo.
all_red
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MGLax13 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:26 pm

Just did it tonight. Came out great. Good looks flash.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby kubi » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:15 am

I can't even tell the difference without the cover on, really. There is a tiny gap on each side, but it's not really noticable.
Please stop humping my car, owner privilege!
kubi
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby OKANG. » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:17 am

What about making a replacement cover out of 1/8" red-colored plexiglass? Getting the right shape might be a little tricky, but definately possible. For the curve, just heat the plexi over a mold made from the original cover.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... Cut+Sheets

A 24"x24" sheet it only $10. The major deterrant is the amount of fabrication work. With the mold and leftover plexi, someone could sell a few of the red covers.
OKANG.
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby FLASH » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:05 am

Yea..thats mad detailed and professional. If you have the time and pateience, go ahead and try it!
==FLASH==
99 Solara SE with Many Mods (See outdated website) - Weekend Warrior
2001 Cadillac Deville Daily Driver
(Wife's) 2007 Toyota Camry LE with Basic Mods
(Sister's) 2011 "Pink Prius"
FLASH
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bassthrive » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:38 pm

Does anyone have DAYTIME pictures of their blue clock mods? I want to see how it looks with the plastic cover gone.

- Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby groovespacer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:15 am

Doesnt look to good. Try making a custom plexi piece.
groovespacer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby bluesolara » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:29 am

Got it!

thanks man...so much brighter...
2001 Indigo Ink Pearl SE
H4 6000K/Tein S-tech/Motegi FF7 Gunmetal17'/Kuhmo Ecsta Asx tires/Short Shifter (custom)/Clear Corners//TRD muffler
God bless.
bluesolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:43 am

Can someone post some pics? I'd like to see how it turned out.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby 99V6solaraSE » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:20 pm

i forgot who it wuz but ive seen someone who change their clock to white ..
99V6solaraSE
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5