[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - How to extend your battery cables for an Optima Battery
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

How to extend your battery cables for an Optima Battery

How to extend your battery cables for an Optima Battery

Postby 808Camry » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:48 pm

1. buy 4 gauge ground wire. (estimate how much you will need for both and it never hurts getting a little more).
2. but 4 gauge power wire. (you'll need about 1 foot only)
3. buy 4 gauge butt connector, 4 gauge ring connectors (3, you only need 2 but just incase you screw up), and new battery terminals (positive and negative).
4. remove positive and negative terminals
5. remove battery tie down
6. remove battery
7. remove lower plate under battery
8. trace the two wire the ground terminal splits off to
9. remove the bolts for the two cables, one is under the battery, the other is bolted to the engine.
10. cut the ground wire about 8 inches longer than the stock wires (you can always trim off the excess).
11. attach the new ring terminals to one end of each NEW ground wire (insulate with electrical tape).
12. bolt the new ground wire rings to the original grounding points
13. connect the other end of the two ground wires to the new negative battery terminal
14. cut the stock battery terminal off.
15. strip the stock wires enough to crimp into the butt connector.
16 crimp the stock wires to the new power wire. (insulate with electrical tape).
17. estimate how much you will need and cut off the excess (remember it doesn't hurt to have a few extra inches)
18 connect the free end of the new positive wire to the new positive battery terminal.
19. check to make sure all of your connects, and crimps are nice and tight.
20. place the stock bottom battery plate where it belongs
21. place the optima plate on top of the stock plate.
22. place optima battery on top of optima plate.
23. reconnect the battery tie down. (you will need to angle and move your battery a bit to ensure it stays put after you bolt it down)
24. bolt down the tie down really really good!
25. reattach your positive and negative terminals.
26. All done and you've got an optima battery in.

Have fun! I don't think I missed anything.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:35 pm

Great tutorial.

I'm gunna give it a try soon

How did other people do the positive lead because I don't wanna do a butt connector If i don't have to
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Luc » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:43 pm

Do NOT use a 4-gauge butt connector to extend the power wire(s) to reach the Optima posts. I did that before and there was actually corrosion on the positive battery terminal after some time, indicating electron flow wasn't good. Do it right the first time and replace both power cables with non-cut, one-piece cables: 4-gauge goes straight to starter, 8-gauge to fusible link.
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 808Camry » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 pm

I've had no problems so far with corrosion, and I'm surrounded by salt water. You do bring up a good point, though replacing straight to the starter and the fuseable link would be the best way.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby AzN_DrAgoN48 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:38 pm

sorry crimping is just to squeeze the connector together?
2001 Dark Blue Solara SE V6
8000k Osram HID
Silverstars fogs
Clear Corners
Passport 8500 Hardwired
Two Alpine 12" Type R Subs
JBL BP600.1
AzN_DrAgoN48
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 808Camry » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:31 pm

Yes, you use a connector and put the stock end into the new end to connect it to the battery. It doesn't provide 100% power transfer. The best way is just to replace the entire line.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mudd » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:04 am

Anyone done this with the 6 cyl? I was in there replacing my battery last week and I couldn't figure out how to get to that last power wire down by the starter without actually removing the starter. Any suggestions?
Mudd
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 808Camry » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:33 am

There's a boot covering a bolt under the starter remove that or cut it and unbolt the cable.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pythonjosh » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:40 pm

I just installed a yellow top in my car last weekend. It's better to replace as many wires as you can. But I did have to remove my starter. It's the 2 long bolts that were an 8mm socket or 9. No probs at all. Is it better to install more ground cables?
Josh
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 808Camry » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:01 pm

I don't see it hurting.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby groovespacer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:12 pm

Just curious as to what kind of crimper(where you bought it will be appreciated) you guys are using to crimp those 4 gauge terminals/connectors.
groovespacer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pythonjosh » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:24 am

groovespacer wrote:Just curious as to what kind of crimper(where you bought it will be appreciated) you guys are using to crimp those 4 gauge terminals/connectors.

Check out the electronics section of your local hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's, and at Radio Shack, maybe even at Schuck's/Kragen's/Checker's stores, and Auto Zone, Car Toys maybe. These are all the places I go for my wiring accessories. I think you'll find the best quality and show products at a car audio shop like Car Toys. You'll find a store around if you look for car audio shops.
Josh

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby groovespacer » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:25 am

I've looked and looked but I can't find a decent crimper for a 0 - 4 awg wiring and accessories. I you can can I see a pic of the crimper you used?
groovespacer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pythonjosh » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:43 am

Do you mean wire cutters? My wire cutters have everything I need for wiring. Like different gauge strippers, and pliers to I guess 'crimp' butt connectors and other things to wires. Is this what you are talking about? Or the things that I'm crimping onto the wires?
Josh

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5