[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CAI Instalation for 5S-FE
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

CAI Instalation for 5S-FE

CAI Instalation for 5S-FE

Postby SolaraT » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:17 pm

Well it finally arrived and my theory worked. 8) Please check my WWW and go to the top right were it says "Pictures" for pictures supporting this Tutorial.

Hardware you need:
1 - Injen IS Short Ram designed for the 5S-FE
1 - CAI extension designed for the 1MZ-FE http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=6375
1 - 2.50" Turbo Silicone 45 degree (Baby Blue hose shown in the pics)
4 - 3" Hose Clamps

*Please note that yes the diameter is larger for the extension as compared to the 2.25" IS short ram and is why the Turbo Silicone Coupler is key.
*Please note that the fuse box might have to come out of place.
*Please start the car before securing any clamps to ensure you have a successful set-up with no air leakage.

#1. Start by lifting the car on the driver side and securing it with a tower.
#2. Take off the wheel
#3. Remove the wheel well plastic piece from the front part as seen in the pic. (Just enough for you to reach in there.)
#4. If you have not already removed the white canister along with the extension piece from the stock air box please do so at this time. Once you removed those items continue to #5. Hint. You might have to lift the fuse box in order to get more reach along with the bottom splash guard.
#5. Route the CAI extension piece from the rounded part starting off the top engine bay and work it down into the wheel well area were the filter will be. (It will be kind of rough to route it down, be patient)
#6. Fit one 3" hose clamp onto the filter and carefully and patiently squeeze the filter onto the bottom end of the pipe. Once on nice and tight you can then secure it with the clamp.
#7. Now comes the tricky part. You need to make sure you have just enough of the 45 degree turbo silicone hose to connect the short ram into the CAI extension. What I had to do was actually cut it approximately 1.8" from the bend on each side because it was too long. See the thread for CAI and you will see a full size pic of what I mean. Page 9 I think.
-Once you got a nice cut you need to connect it to the RED silicone coupler that comes with the CAI extension. Use one 3" clamp to secure both hoses together. *Don't tight it too much to the point were it starts to bulge on the inside. You finally get the remaining two clamps to secure the "Blue" end to the IS short ram and one to secure the "RED" end to the CAI extension.
-Screw on that little rubber knob type thingy to were it supposed to go. See pics. That will actually help keep the intake from moving around. Just lay the one side of the intake onto the side of it. See Pics.

You’re done. Now put your wheel well and wheel back on, lower the car back down and take a drive!!!

Your results will be a tight True CAI set-up for our emerging 5S-FE editions.

Sorry if this was not so detailed but I think you should take a feel for your own car and work it out. This is just an overview of what I did.

Test Driving Results: #1. Meaner Sound! #2. Really Noticeable Increase in HP as compared to the Short Ram. No more drops in power sound and lag. This really turned things around for my car and am very happy that Danny was able to come through with this design to not only help out the 1MZ but the 5S-FE as well. - Next Saturday I'm gona install the new Greddy Evo II cat-back so I can't wait to see what happens! Stay Tuned for vids and sound clips.

Good Luck and Happy Tuning!
Louis :bday:
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5