[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CAI Installation for 5S-FE
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

CAI Installation for 5S-FE

Postby SolaraT » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:33 pm

Chris did not get back to me either. He said he was going to check with the people that make the tubes and get back to me but it's been about a week now. So you need something straight? Have you lined it up? How long do you think you need it? I saw on the bottom the merging ones and they are not that expensive but might not be long enough. Worst case you can just get one 2.5" straight tube and one 3.0" straight and combine them like I did.
Before I met chris I got my blue tube that you see in the picture from this guy...Ships very fast.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2476331414
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby krzyray » Sun May 02, 2004 2:55 pm

Haven't received my extension from UPFD yet... they said it will ship on Monday! So, I'm not sure what size I need yet, but I checked out turbohoses.com, and they have SILICONE TRANSITION/REDUCER HOSES.

http://www.turbohoses.com/Transitions.htm
2 1/2"ID to 3"ID x 3"L
$32.04

I'm ready to install the extension - I already removed the white canister and the extension piece from the stock air box. :D
Last edited by krzyray on Sun May 02, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby krzyray » Sun May 02, 2004 3:05 pm

Wouldn't it be better to get a 2.25" to 2.75" Transition Hose for exact fit? :-?

On Road Race Engineering's Web Site they say, "All hose sizes are measured by inside diameter, 2" ID hose fits 2" OD tubing for example."

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm
krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraT » Sun May 02, 2004 3:41 pm

Sorry your right. 3" was the OD and 2.75 is the ID. Just measured the red silicone coupler that comes with the CAI and it is 2.75" ID.

2.50" to 2.75" ID is perfect.

Re labled the above pics and sizes.

That site has a good price! $20.00 for the 2.50 - 2.75

Added to Disclaimers and Observations...

*The filter that comes with the short ram is too small to fit without really squeezing it on to the CAI extension. Since the silicone is real flexible on the filter, it fits; but ideally you would want to eventually get a filter with a 2.75" opening vs. the 2.50" opening that came with the short ram.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby krzyray » Thu May 06, 2004 9:48 pm

krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jon11582 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:08 pm

Sorry to revive this, but Im planning on doing this soon and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

Wheres the best place to get the parts that I need? I saw that link above, but are they reliable? has anyone ordered from them? Which one? (Turbohoses or Roadraceenginnering?)

Also is the transision hose something I should look into? Which one for the 5SFE? From the pic, it looks like a transision hose would be optimal. Which clamps should I get? They got spring loaded, T-bolts, constant torque, and high torque clamps...

I also remembered that the CAI may have tripped a check engine for you, solarat. Did you ever get that sorted out? Was that in any part due to the CAI fabrication?
Last edited by Jon11582 on Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby krawzyazn » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:33 pm

hahah road race i used to go there alot
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby SolaraT » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:58 am

Jon11582 wrote:Sorry to revive this, but Im planning on doing this soon and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

Wheres the best place to get the parts that I need? I saw that link above, but are they reliable? has anyone ordered from them? Which one? (Turbohoses or Roadraceenginnering?)

Also is the transision hose something I should look into? Which one for the 5SFE? From the pic, it looks like a transision hose would be optimal. Which clamps should I get? They got spring loaded, T-bolts, constant torque, and high torque clamps...

I also remembered that the CAI may have tripped a check engine for you, solarat. Did you ever get that sorted out? Was that in any part due to the CAI fabrication?

Actually the check engine light was not caused by the CAI at all. It was an EGR issue that occurred prior to any intake installation. I had to take it off only for Toyota to diagnose more according to factory spec. On the contrary when Toyota checked out my CAI they were impressed and the numbers showed up good when hooked up to their scanner/computer.

I would get the same hose that Krzyray got on his 2az-fe to keep it simple and cost effective.
one long straight - 2.75" Inside Diameter Turbo Silicone Hose.
Ideally for us 5S-FE units a straight 8" long - 2.50" merged to 2.75" would be the best, but it will cost more. (Those transition hoses don't seem long enough in the sites I have seen.) Need to find one longer then what they have in those pics.)

Any of those clamps are fine. The regular ones are suficiant.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm
This Roadraceengineering.com is good.

If you want that blue piece you see above in my model, I still have it and can give it to you for $5.00. That can get you started if you want.

If I'm going to get the CAI installed again I'm going to also get 4-2 headers, 2-1 down pipe, & high flow CAT from Rippmods along with a lightweight under crank pulley from unorthodox racing.

Otherwise no more performance mods for me.
The CAI is well worth investing in.

BTW: The Injen air filter that comes with the 5s-fe is a bit too small for the extention and you will probably end up buying one that fits better on the CAI extention.
It comes with a 2.5" opening and we need a 2.75" to fit snug. Good luck squeezing that sucker on. haha.

Let me know if you have any questions. This can seem a bit confusing. Call me if anything...770-527-8932

Later,
Louis
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby Solaradude » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:52 pm

solarat wrote:
Jon11582 wrote:Sorry to revive this, but Im planning on doing this soon and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

Let me know if you have any questions. This can seem a bit confusing. Call me if anything...770-527-8932

Later,
Louis

NEXTEL......done
I will bankroll your poker career!! visit www.instant-bankroll.com
Solaradude
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5