[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CAI Installation for 5S-FE
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

CAI Installation for 5S-FE

CAI Installation for 5S-FE

Postby SolaraT » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:19 pm

Well it finally arrived and my theory worked. 8) Please check my WWW and go to the top right were it says "Pictures" for pictures supporting this Tutorial.

Hardware you need:
1 - Injen IS Short Ram designed for the 5S-FE
1 - CAI extension designed for the 1MZ-FE http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=6375
1 - 2.50" Turbo Silicone 45 degree (Baby Blue hose shown in the pics)
4 - 3" Hose Clamps

Disclaimers and Observations:
*The filter that comes with the short ram is too small to fit without really squeezing it on to the CAI extension. Since the silicone is real flexible on the filter, it fits; but ideally you would want to eventually get a filter with a 2.75" opening vs. the 2.50" opening that came with the short ram.
*Please note that yes the diameter is larger for the extension as compared to the 2.50" IS short ram and is why the Turbo Silicone Coupler is key.
*Please note that the fuse box might have to come out of place.
*Please start the car before securing any clamps to ensure you have a successful set-up with no air leakage.

Directions:
#1. Start by lifting the car on the driver side and securing it with a tower.
#2. Take off the wheel
#3. Remove the wheel well plastic piece from the front part as seen in the pic. (Just enough for you to reach in there.)
#4. If you have not already removed the white canister along with the extension piece from the stock air box please do so at this time. Once you removed those items continue to #5. Hint. You might have to lift the fuse box in order to get more reach along with the bottom splash guard.
#5. Route the CAI extension piece from the rounded part starting off the top engine bay and work it down into the wheel well area were the filter will be. (It will be kind of rough to route it down, be patient)
#6. Fit one hose clamp onto the filter and carefully and patiently squeeze the filter onto the bottom end of the pipe. Once on nice and tight you can then secure the clamp.
#7. Now comes the tricky part. You need to make sure you have just enough of the 45 degree turbo silicone hose to connect the short ram into the CAI extension. What I had to do was actually cut it approximately 1.8" from the bend on each side because it was too long. See the thread for CAI and you will see a full size pic of what I mean. Page 9 I think.
-Once you got a nice cut you need to connect it to the RED silicone coupler that comes with the CAI extension. Use one clamp to secure both hoses together. *Don't tight it too much to the point were it starts to bulge on the inside. You finally get the remaining two clamps to secure the "Blue" end to the IS short ram and one to secure the "RED" end to the CAI extension.
-Screw on that little rubber knob type thingy that comes with the CAI to were it supposed to go. See pics. That will actually help keep the intake from moving around. Just lay the one side of the intake onto the side of it. See Pics.

You’re done. Now put your wheel well and wheel back on, lower the car back down and take a drive!!! Your results will be a tight True CAI set-up for our emerging 5S-FE editions.

Sorry if this was not so detailed but I think you should take a feel for your own car and work it out. This is just an overview of what I did.

Test Driving Results: #1. Meaner Sound! #2. Really Noticeable Increase in HP as compared to the Short Ram. No more drops in power sound and lag. This really turned things around for my car and am very happy that Danny was able to come through with this design to not only help out the 1MZ but the 5S-FE as well.

Check out my www for video clips of the CAI with a Greddy Evo II. You will loose the meaner intake sound after installing a cat-back due to less back preasure. Its all evenly smooth.

Good Luck and Happy Tuning!
Louis :bday:

EDIT: 03/31 - You might want to also get some heat resistant black Silicone to seal both couplers together along with the clamp. Not mandatory but good for extra sealing security. This is to be added in Step#7. Of coarse if your lucky and can get a hold of a 45 degree 2.5" Turbo Coupler that merges into a 2.75" then your set with just one peice.

Last edited by SolaraT on Sun May 02, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby onefiend » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:53 pm

Wow :o , good job! And great instructions! I'm gonna buy the parts I need and try and do it this weekend. :P
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby thealkimo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:17 am

Thanks for the instructions! I'm definitely bookmarking this thread! Hopefully I'll eventually be able to get a hold of a CAI extension! :D
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Solaradude » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:43 pm

solarat, is your solara auto?

Steve :evilbat:
I will bankroll your poker career!! visit www.instant-bankroll.com
Solaradude
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraT » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:43 pm

yes it is. check my www for some vids
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby Solaradude » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:19 pm

yo solarat, i just checked out you ride and noticed the rear disc conversion.

how much did it cost ya? and did you notice anything different as far as braking goes?

Solaradude
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraT » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:25 pm

Solaradude wrote:yo solarat, i just checked out you ride and noticed the rear disc conversion.

how much did it cost ya? and did you notice anything different as far as braking goes?

For real? I did not know I had a rear disc conversion. I wish! LOL :lol:
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby Solaradude » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:40 pm

solarat wrote:
Solaradude wrote:yo solarat, i just checked out you ride and noticed the rear disc conversion.

For real? I did not know I had a rear disc conversion. I wish! LOL :lol:

lol im seeing things.

phatty ride though.

all u need is the trd kit and hid

Solaradude
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraT » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:52 pm

Yep thats my ultimate goal! If you ever run into anyone selling there used red flame lip kit let me know.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby krzyray » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:10 pm

Anyone try this on a 2AZ-FE yet? If you did, any tips? I will be trying it on my 2AZ-FE soon.
krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraT » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:50 pm

If you can make me a motion clip like yours I will! :lol: :wink: j/k!!

Can you find a pic of someone with an Injen short ram on the 2az? Post it up so I can see. I seen it with the stock air box and it seems to be doable. Just of the top of my head...You might need 1 long 2.75"ID turbo silicone hose coupler.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby krzyray » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:01 pm

solarat wrote:If you can make me a motion clip like yours I will! :lol: :wink: j/k!!

Can you find a pic of someone with an Injen short ram on the 2az? Post it up so I can see. I seen it with the stock air box and it seems to be doable. Just of the top of my head...You might need 1 long 2.75"ID turbo silicone hose coupler.

lol, I can make one for you - just send me a link to the video that you would like created into an animated image.

I found this on Injen's site:

Am I going to need to buy a bunch of different sizes of turbo silicone hose couplers and try different ones to see what fits best?

Or can I measure with measuring tape and find out what size is needed?
krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:35 pm

Cool! Here is the link to the video clip that I would like made into a motion clip. http://home.comcast.net/~solarat/SharpTurn.ASF
Thanks for doing that!!!

If you need a custom made hose contact Chris @ cidzonetrooper@hotmail.com i.e. 2.5" merging into a 3.00"

I know the extension is 2.75" inside diameter for sure so 3" would fit perfectly onto it. It also looks like the short ram is 2.25" inside diameter for your application also. You might have it easier cause it seems to line up even closer then it did for me.

Just know that you need 2.5" turbo hose for the short ram end: try one straight 2.5"merging into 3", & about 6" long. Merging would be the best way to go instead of getting two different once to put together like I did. As a matter of fact I'm gona see if Chris can do one for me to.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby krzyray » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:36 pm

Ok cool... thanks for the info. I sent Chris an email for one straight 6" long turbo silicone 2.5" hose coupler that merges into a 3.0".
krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby krzyray » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:02 pm

I haven't heard back from Chris yet.

Hyundai Performance sells turbo silicone hoses, kinda expensive though.
http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com/shop/cat.php?c=90

Know any other good places to buy these?
krzyray
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5