[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY Illuminated Entry, Under Dash Neons
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY Illuminated Entry, Under Dash Neons

Postby Grant516 » Tue May 17, 2005 1:45 pm

In revisitingi this topic (as I've yet to have the time to get this together) I'd like to clarify what I would like to try, and see why it would/wouldn't work...

If you had a three way switch there would be four connectors to it.

..................off...... door ........on
Ground -----------------------------
.................. /...........|............. \
........................door sens...... accessory

(the periods are just placeholders... the dashes, slashes are connections)

If the switch were all the way to the left, the circuit would not be formed, and there would be no lights on.

If the switch were left in the center, the circuit would only be formed if the door was open, and you would have an Illumnated entry.

If the switch were left all the way to the right, the illumination would be on so long as the car was on.

would this work, or am I talking nonsense?
are there any accessory wires in this panel, or just 12v constant ?
Grant516
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pythonjosh » Thu May 19, 2005 2:59 pm

Grant516 wrote:In revisitingi this topic (as I've yet to have the time to get this together) I'd like to clarify what I would like to try, and see why it would/wouldn't work...

If you had a three way switch there would be four connectors to it.
..................off...... door ........on
Ground -----------------------------
.................. /...........|............. \
........................door sens...... accessory

(the periods are just placeholders... the dashes, slashes are connections)

If the switch were all the way to the left, the circuit would not be formed, and there would be no lights on.

If the switch were left in the center, the circuit would only be formed if the door was open, and you would have an Illumnated entry.

If the switch were left all the way to the right, the illumination would be on so long as the car was on.

would this work, or am I talking nonsense?
are there any accessory wires in this panel, or just 12v constant ?

I haven't ever seen a three way switch. I know how 2 way switches work, and I couldn't imagine how a third switch position would work. If anything, the center position would be no current. Do you have a switch in mind? It would be easier to work with a switch you have.
Josh
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Cspence » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:41 pm

I just have a quite question for josh or anyone else that might know. Where could i get a 12 v source for like 4 neons (1 under each seat and under each side of the dash) without having to run a whole new wire from the battery to run them...I plan on using the cig lighter for the fog light relay, so could i use that source again or should i get something else. Ne ways i just dont want to run a whole knew wire in from the battery. Also just to double check the wires tapped into by the doors is a ground......also for anyone that has this done, how long do the neons stay on after you close the doors. Well let me know. Thanks guys
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pythonjosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:48 am

Cspence wrote:I just have a quite question for josh or anyone else that might know. Where could i get a 12 v source for like 4 neons (1 under each seat and under each side of the dash) without having to run a whole new wire from the battery to run them...I plan on using the cig lighter for the fog light relay, so could i use that source again or should i get something else. Ne ways i just dont want to run a whole knew wire in from the battery. Also just to double check the wires tapped into by the doors is a ground......also for anyone that has this done, how long do the neons stay on after you close the doors. Well let me know. Thanks guys

The only thing with tapping into the cig lighter wire is that they are only hot when the key is in the ACC position, therefore they cannot turn on when you are entering/leaving the car. There are 2 other sources for always hot and one of them you'd have to find yourself. The first one is to splice into the hot wire going into the ignition, your other option is to find the always hot wire that was used to power your stock head unit. I know the fuse to the ignition would be able to handle 4 neons/cathodes, but maybe not the radio wire.
Yes the door sensor wire is a ground. It is a button in the doorway that connects the wire to the car frame when open. In this time I have found that the door sensor wire's ground capabilities are not very strong for our neon/cathode purposes. Soon I plan on making a relay for the door sensor system to provide better grounding when the circuit is open.
Josh

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Bump 8)
I'm still around if anybody has questions......

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5