[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY Independent Fog Lights
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:04 pm

Well i just got in and all the wires are as you described except for one problem but not with the fogs. I am also doing the entry illumination and the driverside door you said had a red with silver stripe. I found a red wire in the exact location as in your pic but it had a stripe around the circumference of the wire rather than running the length with all of your other wire descriptions. Other than that i saw the red wire on the back of the FLR just had some silver spots, the pink and blue wire, and the red and blue wire....very slight difference between the two red and blue....by the way what is the red and blue and y am i supposed to ground that wire...is that the wire that grounds the FLR when the low beams are on? thanks for all the help josh, I will post my results when i am done hopefully wensday. CHRIS
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pythonjosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:49 pm

Cspence wrote:Well i just got in and all the wires are as you described except for one problem but not with the fogs. I am also doing the entry illumination and the driverside door you said had a red with silver stripe. I found a red wire in the exact location as in your pic but it had a stripe around the circumference of the wire rather than running the length with all of your other wire descriptions. Other than that i saw the red wire on the back of the FLR just had some silver spots, the pink and blue wire, and the red and blue wire....very slight difference between the two red and blue....by the way what is the red and blue and y am i supposed to ground that wire...is that the wire that grounds the FLR when the low beams are on? thanks for all the help josh, I will post my results when i am done hopefully wensday. CHRIS

Most of the wires in the entire car have this silver splash of paint on them. Don't pay attention to it, it has no way to identify the wire/color patterns. I don't even know what they are for, but I'm telling you, they are useless for our purposes. A $7 hot wire tester from Schmuck's is your most useful tool here. So that you know you're connecting a + to a + and a - to a -.
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:02 am

Wow so many questions! lol.

Yes. Removing the little grey thing will increase your brightness. Also. The super white pics where camera illusions! The camera exagerated on that one. Plus the output was supposed to be yellow and not sure why it came out white in the pic.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby WTF?? » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:49 pm

SolaraT wrote:Wow so many questions! lol.

You tellin me man!! geez

anyway cool to see you come back here n there to see wassup louis!
I still dont know what you got after your solara lol 4runner?
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Cspence » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:08 pm

Just got in from doing the neons under the dash and the fogs. Although i didnt get the fogs to work. I tapped into the cig lighter wire like i was supposed to, and then tried to ground the red with blue stripe wire and it didnt make the fogs work....I used splice clips rather than cutting the wire(just to let you know)...I was able to use the fogs like normal with the low beams....anyhow then i looked at the back of the relay and i tested all the wires....the only one that did'nt have 12 volts going through it i hooked to ground and it made a little pop.....I dont know what i could have done but now the fogs dont work at all....if someone knows if there is a fuse that i may have blown and where i would appreciate the help. Let me know what you guys think....thanks CHRIS
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 am

Cspence wrote:Just got in from doing the neons under the dash and the fogs. Although i didnt get the fogs to work. I tapped into the cig lighter wire like i was supposed to, and then tried to ground the red with blue stripe wire and it didnt make the fogs work....I used splice clips rather than cutting the wire(just to let you know)...I was able to use the fogs like normal with the low beams....anyhow then i looked at the back of the relay and i tested all the wires....the only one that did'nt have 12 volts going through it i hooked to ground and it made a little pop.....I dont know what i could have done but now the fogs dont work at all....if someone knows if there is a fuse that i may have blown and where i would appreciate the help. Let me know what you guys think....thanks CHRIS

You don't ground any wire near the relay. That pop you heard was your Fog Light fuse blowing. The wire you cut (yes cut) and connect the FLR end to the cig lighter wire. The wire you ground is under your steering column. You need to replace that fuse, and get yourself a hot wire tester so you know what wires you are connecting. Let us know how it goes.
Josh

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Cspence » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:07 am

Hey josh...appreciate the help...do you know off hand which fuse is for the fogs....I was actually using a hot wire tester throughout the entire project...it is a vital tool.....Thats how i found which wire was ground for the drivers door....in your solara the wire is red and silver and in mine it is red and hunter green....well gonna replace that fuse today, but can i ask one last thing....if the fuse is blown y can i still hear the relay click when i turn the fogs on and off. It clicks just doesnt turn them on. Thanks again and is your aim name just pythonjosh on aim....it would be a lot easier to talk for a few minutes then posting on here....
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pythonjosh » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:23 am

Cspence wrote:Hey josh...appreciate the help...do you know off hand which fuse is for the fogs....I was actually using a hot wire tester throughout the entire project...it is a vital tool.....Thats how i found which wire was ground for the drivers door....in your solara the wire is red and silver and in mine it is red and hunter green....well gonna replace that fuse today, but can i ask one last thing....if the fuse is blown y can i still hear the relay click when i turn the fogs on and off. It clicks just doesnt turn them on. Thanks again and is your aim name just pythonjosh on aim....it would be a lot easier to talk for a few minutes then posting on here....

I have heard of little differences in the years like that color difference. Honestly I don't know if the FLR would still click if the fuse is blown, but I think it will. My aim name is at the bottom of everyt post I make, it's toyojoosh . I won't be on most of today tho, will be tomorrow.
Josh

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Cspence » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:55 pm

hey josh....my aim name is Chris72Nova....ill be on periodically to see if your on. Today i did find a blown fuse...you were right...now the fogs work but like normal. Since i have the power in the back of the Relay hooked to the cig lighter wire i know the 12v source is good....but the ground attached to the small red and blue wire is not right. After i grounded that wire it did not make the fogs work independently, it just made my car not start lol....it would crank but not start....so i just unconnected that wire and she started right up....when we finally get in touch i really need some diagnostic help...maybe i could give you a call....let me know (Maybe you can give me your number via aim so it wont be posted for all to see...if you don't want it up there?)...THANKS for all the help man....CHRIS By the way your illuminated entry DIY was awsome...just in a 2000 solara the drivers door wire is red with a small green stripe....using the wire tester solved that problem for me.
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby WTF?? » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:52 pm

^I believe the 2000's are wired differently cuz i ended up not needing to ground the red/blue wire under the steering wheel
WTF??

Postby Cspence » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:34 pm

I wish mine was like that. Right now its not grounded and it functions like stock....its starting to irritate me because it should work....if you have any ideas on what i could try let me know and ill be sure to try them out....thanks
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Cspence » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 am

Well its all done and working the way its supposed to thanks to a few cold hours outside and with the help of josh....for all those who might have or might ever experience the same problems as me....the reason why the fogs didnt work with just the ACC on was because i spliced into the wrong red and blue...make sure you tap into the wire that is coming down from the steering wheel not from in back of the dash like my dumbass did .....and also another very interesting thing i discovered is that with just a 12v source spliced into the fog light relay you can have fogs with low AND high beam....josh believes this could because the highs might only control the 12v source of the relay and not the ground, therefire if provided with another 12v source (cig lighter) there shall be light from headlights and fogs lol.....anyways josh you were very helpful and i am grateful for all you help.... ill post pics of everything when i get back to school on monday...take it easy guys and keep making cool DIY please!!
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Cspence » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:18 am

Oh yea...by the way....if you ground the wrong red and blue wire your car just won't start....it'll crank but not start...no biggy lol....anyways take it easy guys....
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby WTF?? » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:30 am

^LMAO!!!!!!! 16 of his 18 posts so far are in this thread... talk about thread whoring :D
WTF??

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 am

haha^^^thought this was a forum for questions and answers to help others...... o well pics are on car domain if anyone cares.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2157484/1
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5