[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY Independent Fog Lights
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Postby nj99solara » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:44 pm

Cspence wrote:Hey, I'm new to this site but i was wondering about this independent fog light thing.... I just wanted to know if this will allow me to keep my fogs on with my high beams on too. Also i was wondering if anyone knows about silverstar lights. I saw for 99-01 solaras the high and low beams called for 9003st bulbs while the fogs call for 9006ST. Which is brighter and if 9006ST's are, can you put them in the high and low beam bulb sockets without burning them out. I am just wondering because 2002 solaras call for 9006ST all around. Anyways let me know.

Welcome to th forum......
Yes this will allow you to have them on with your high beams.
I have the silverstar bulbs in my headlights and fogs, And I like them alot better than the stock bulbs it's a more clear type of light output. I don't think you can put the 9006 in the 9003 socket (I haven't tried but I don't believe so).
'99 Solara SLE V6 Black/Tan Leather
-4500k HID Bi-xenon kit
-4500k HID Fogs
-5% Tint in rear
-Tinted Stock Taillights
-Shaved Emblems
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076665
nj99solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pythonjosh » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:05 am

Cspence, this mod allows your fog lights to be totally independant of your headlights. Whether they are off, running lights, low beams, or high beams. Think I've explained the procedure pretty well, but maybe not. The pink/blue wire is a (+) hot accessory wire, which means the fogs can only be on when the key is in the ACC position. This is also the (+) wire overriding the FLR. The FLR is totally controlled by the head light relay, so that both the pos and neg wires have no continuance when the headlights are off/running/high beam. So this mod makes it so that the wires going to FLR always have continuance, and the fog light switch is a grounding switch. This should be pretty straight forward if you understand how a relay works. If not let me know, I can explain it for you. Thanks,
Josh
PS, I don't know about diff bulbs, mine are still stock. I just know Sylvania's are awesome.
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:38 am

Cspence wrote:Hey, I'm new to this site but i was wondering about this independent fog light thing.... I just wanted to know if this will allow me to keep my fogs on with my high beams on too. Also i was wondering if anyone knows about silverstar lights. I saw for 99-01 solaras the high and low beams called for 9003st bulbs while the fogs call for 9006ST. Which is brighter and if 9006ST's are, can you put them in the high and low beam bulb sockets without burning them out. I am just wondering because 2002 solaras call for 9006ST all around. Anyways let me know.

You can put a 9005 bulb in a 9006 socket with minor modification to the bulb.
check it out here... http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

And, yes you will have fogs on while highbeams are engaged. This mod makes your fogs Independant.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby Cspence » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:17 pm

I figured it out today just thinking about it....it takes me a while to see how things work. I appreciate the fast responses though. I put in the silverstars today. 9003 in the head lights and i put 9005 high beams in the fogs. I just took a razor blade, heated it up with a lighter and sliced out the tracks inside the bulb socket. They fit like a glove and work great. Now i want to see if i can take off my fog lenses and dry them out and or replace them with clearer ones. Thanks again guys.
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Cspence » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:29 pm

SolaraT, i was also wondering what bulbs u used in your car. I saw the pictures in this forum and ur fogs look bright as hell. Do you have different lenses or something.
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraT » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:00 am

9005 strictly. + Lexus yellow capsules. I have one pair left if you want to buy them. Here is my old e-bay listing...
Thanks!
Louis
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :LCA:MT:11
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:12 am

Louis, thanks for the offer, but not really interested in the yellow look. I was talkin about the other pics where it is super bright white. I read ur DIY page on the capsul install and i noticed there was a grey thing aound the bulb. Did you remove that thing to get the bulb to look so bright, cuz i just put in the 9005 bulbs and they are not nearly as bright as yours. Let me know, I appreciate your help. Thanks man CHRIS
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:16 am

Oh yea, by the way louis, I was wondering if you have had any problems with the fog sockets overheating with the 9005 bulb. I have been kinda scared to leave my fogs on for too long of a period. I am worried that the sockets will start to overheat and melt....I saw it happen in my old acura not from the same thing but from someone putting in a wrong bulb...anyways let me know.....thanks again
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:39 am

Sorry for posting so much....but i had a question about the 9005 bulbs....yesterday when i bought them i got 9005XS ST instead of the normal 9005ST....do you think that could be the difference in brightness....I mean they have the same wattage....same everything, just a different part number....i dont know....I just know i want my fogs to be as bright as yours are....lol.....
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby gone » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:53 am

I have no clue if someone asked this already or if its even the same set up but can this be done on the gen.2 with the same instructions?
gone
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:11 am

well a little searching and i found my own answer on sylvanias website.....Ill put it up here for all.....but i stilled dont know y your fogs are so bright louis, back to the drawing boards for me...... SilverStar 9006 straight base (9006 XS ST) is available and the 9005 straight base (9005XS ST) should be available later this year.

I must have gotten a mismarked package because my bulbs are exactly the same as the 9005 ST...they are not straight based....but they clearly said 9005XS ST...o well no skin off my __.
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby AznDragonV » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:02 pm

this is coo i might have to try this..
AznDragonV
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Cspence » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:32 pm

I got a question for josh...I just wanted to know if you think the wire coloring is the same in a 2000 solara before i go hunting for the colored wires you describe in your DIY tutorials. let me know...thanks
Cspence
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pythonjosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:32 pm

06toyo chick wrote:I have no clue if someone asked this already or if its even the same set up but can this be done on the gen.2 with the same instructions?

Honestly, I have no idea. I wish I knew someone with a gen2 to help all you gen2'ers out with my mods.

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby pythonjosh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:43 pm

Cspence wrote:I got a question for josh...I just wanted to know if you think the wire coloring is the same in a 2000 solara before i go hunting for the colored wires you describe in your DIY tutorials. let me know...thanks

It is safe to assume. But as always, use a hot wire tester before splicing/connecting anything. Just so you make sure that you are connecting the right wires. Connecting the wrong wires, in the worst case, could put your car up in flames. I have never put a car on fire, but I have filled the cabin with smoke before. This is why I instructed to use the cig lighter wire, so you can turn off any possible hot wires by turning off the key. But whenever you get into electrical modding like my DIY Tutorials, always always use a hot wire tester, just in case Toyota used some other wire colors in other years. And if you have any questions or issues, I'm the one to ask. You can hit me up on AIM and YIM most of the time.

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5