[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY Independent Fog Lights
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Postby SolaraT » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:43 pm

I'm Finished! The hardest part was bending all the way down into that pit! :lol:

Josh, I created a blown up version of your cardomain DIY. Feel free to use this url on your page also. I had to copy this over to Microsoft Word and burned it on a CD real quick, I opened it up on my Laptop while I was doing this. Having the pics and the instructions while I'm hands-on realy helped.

http://home.comcast.net/~solarat2/DIYfo ... Lights.htm

These are with Nokya hyper yellow bulbs; however, I have the Lexus yellow capsules on order and plan on using them with silverstars.

Thanks for your help Josh!
:bday:
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby pythonjosh » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:26 pm

Looks sweet man! Nice bulbs too. Was this as easy as you thought it would be? Did you use the cig lighter wire? Thanks for blowing up my pics too. Cardomain limits the size of the pics you use. I'll get that link up there soon. Later man
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:46 pm

It was easier then I thought it would be. Just took it one step at a time and not get overwhelmed. I did use the cig lighter wire and it is soooo cool. The lights are totally independent now!

You know I was left with spare parts right. :lol: I did not clip the white housing were the FLR is located back were it was. Kind of hard to snap back in place. It is not going anywhere so I figured no need to clip it back.
I also was not able to put the lever to open the hood that connects with that wire back into place. It's hooked on but that wire is not connected to the lever.

I figured one day I would focus on reconnecting it. I was too tired to keep on struggling with it. No beer last night ya know.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby that1mexguy » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:17 pm

I LOVE THIS MOD!!! and thanks to Louis (Solarat) who hooked it up for me!!! (he actually did it for me LOL). This is tiiiiiight!!!!! Thanks again bro!
that1mexguy
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SolaraT » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:27 pm

LOL you actually did the hardest part and made it easier for me by taking apart the panels and putting them back together. :drinking:
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby toy4x4boy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:07 pm

I just did this mod today. Very easy. Thanks for the DIY!
99 Solara SE V6 5-speed - traded in

03 4Runner Sport 4x4 V8 - new ride
toy4x4boy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pythonjosh » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:49 am

Just wanted to bump this. I'll be driving down to the Bay Area (San Jose) and if anybody needs me to do it for them I'll be there from August 27-29. I'll be busy with a wedding on the 27th but the 28th and 29 are open. This will only take me less than half an hour, most likely ~5 mins. Or if you wanna show me how you did yours, I'd like to see it! Later bros,
Josh

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:31 am

I loved this mod so much that I did it to my 4runner. Only problem is I can't find a cig lighter wire or fuse to tap into. I am using the dome fuse and the problem with that is the auto off feature does not work when I turn the car off. I will be one of those guys that "Dude You left your lights on" guy. I'm searching and hope to find at least the radio wire.

You rock Josh! Hope your doing well.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby pythonjosh » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:47 am

Hey Lewis! Glad you're experimenting with this mod. Have you looked for the cig lighter wire behind the cig lighter and follow it back to a more reasonable point to splice into? I don't know 4runners tho. I would only tap into the 'hot when on' radio wire if you have an aftermarket stereo. Stock stereos are way too difficult to bother with. "The Hot Wire Tester is mightier than the sword"
I only see a 4runner in your sig......Please tell me you didn't sell your Solara!
I'm getting along ok nowadays since my surgery. I've been able to walk for the past month without crutches, but I still have a walking cast. My foot is too weak to drive or even walk without the cast, which totally sucks. And now I'm working nights at my hospital job which is both good and bad.
Good to hear from ya Lewis. Hope your kids doin ok too.

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:50 am

Nice to here from you! Kids are good, and yes I sold my Solara. Sold it about a month ago.
Glad your coming along well. Good idea with following the wire back on the cig lighter. I'll do that. I'll probably put a fuse in the line just in case it is not fused. Even it if was, it's still a good safeguard.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby avalon01 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:28 am

where's a good place to get foglights cuz the avalon didnt come with them just spaces to put them in

ebay's got them but i'm not paying $200 a pair
avalon01
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraT » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Well good luck because you need the wiring and relay and switch to go with. If all that comes with then that is a steal. You must be talking about the lens only.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby pythonjosh » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:15 am

SolaraT wrote:Nice to here from you! Kids are good, and yes I sold my Solara. Sold it about a month ago.
Glad your coming along well. Good idea with following the wire back on the cig lighter. I'll do that. I'll probably put a fuse in the line just in case it is not fused. Even it if was, it's still a good safeguard.

Why'd ya sell it bro? I need to be getting mine refinanced soon. Been payin 16.9% for the past 2 years. Bank of America has really been raping me with that high apr. I've even applied for refinance thru BofA and they rejected it. A$$holes.
Your cig wire should have a fuse as with all other things on the accessories circuit. They should all be hot when ACC too, so they turn cold when the key is turned to OFF. If you're gonna fuse it use a 15,20, or 25amp fuse. Not really necessary, because 'if' that one blows, then the one for the cig lighter is gonna blow too anyways. Actually come to think of it, adding a fuse wouldn't be a good idea. Here's what I'm thinking. Since there's one fuse on that line already, then that circuit can hold a maximum of say 15amps or whatever size fuse you have in it. If you put 2 15amp fuses on that line, then the maximum amperage would be jumped to 30amps. Meaning if there was a short, then it would have to draw more than 30 amps in order for the fuses to blow because the fuses would share the load. So if there was a smaller short that only drew say 20-25 amps, then none of those 2 fuses would blow because the fuses would be taking 10-12.5amps each, so they wouldn't blow and you be losing power probably noticably. Make sense?
Josh

Avalon01- This isn't the right topic to be posting your question in. You could make your own topic asking your question though. It would bring more ppl to read your question becaause in this thread the only ppl that will see your question are only ppl that are reading about the DIY Independant Fog Lights modification. If you start your own topic with your question you will most likely get more and better results than in this thread.
Josh

pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:01 am

Thanks Josh! I guess I have to dig in there and make sure there is at least one fuse which I am sure there is. It totaly makes sence about what you said with the double fuse.

Yeah I wouldn't post a topic about Avalon fog lamps and where to get them cheap on a tutorial. lol.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT

Postby WTF?? » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:36 pm

Just wanted to give a free *bump* on this simple DIY :D

I just FINALLY did mine today and everything worked fine... been wanting to do this a long time ago, but never got around too it (laziness takes over)... too bad i didnt take advantage of this when pythonjosh was in the area! :-?
his assistance wouldve have made everything smoother

anyway... anyone in san ho that wants to do this, let me know and I'll guide you around

NOTE: its tru... hardest thing is bending down there and removing and putting back the panels lol... thats it!
get a beer and youre set
:drinking:
Retired... its been fun Image
WTF??
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5