[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Clean your throttle body
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Clean your throttle body

Postby RichD978 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:02 pm

just cleaned... test drive soon... a lotta white smoke came out whoooooooooo im dizzy
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby nj99solara » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:53 am

I just cleaned mine yesterday with 69,000 miles and the pick up is a very big difference. I cant believe a simple job like this makes such a big difference. I used the Gumout brand. Thanks
'99 Solara SLE V6 Black/Tan Leather
-4500k HID Bi-xenon kit
-4500k HID Fogs
-5% Tint in rear
-Tinted Stock Taillights
-Shaved Emblems
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2076665
nj99solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby hari-bhari » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:39 pm

jerold wrote:hey, i got the STP cleaner, and sprayed the crap out of my throttle body, but now i got a code 505, idle control system malfunction. what did i do wrong? and how do i go about fixing it? i tested the IAC like the Haynes manual said. it seems fine.

after i drove it, the throttle seemed stuck. not when gassing it, but when letting go of the gas. it would still go for a couple of seconds, before backing off.

hmm, take ur intake back off, and check your butterfly valve and see what's keeping it from closing properly.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Cleaning

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:33 pm

I used a Tire cleaning nylon brush to get all the way in there with the cleaning. I also used the STP throttle body cleaner bought some blue paper towels they had on sale at the Aut0Z0ne to sop out all the dirty chocolate. I just unscrewed the steel belt clamps I didn't disconnect that hose was that important? 8)
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Cleaning

Postby bassthrive » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:22 pm

~Spadwaller~ wrote:I just unscrewed the steel belt clamps I didn't disconnect that hose was that important? 8)

I assume you mean you loosened the big intake hose enough to move it down and out of the way without removing the whole hose piece? Removal will make it easier to work on, though I guess it could be optional.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

good news

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:33 pm

WHEW!, well great tutorial very detailed, pictures were nice touch. A++
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby captainpimp » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:26 pm

i just installed new plugs, should i have done this before doing the plugs? will this cause the plugs to gum up or anything.
BTW, spark plugs were really not that bad at all. i read the horror stories in the tutorials, but come to find out it wasnt very tough, just took awhile.

brian

put kit on as well, will post pics later.
captainpimp
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Astro » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:32 pm

edwardw818 wrote:I read all of the posts, but nobody has said how long the effect of white smoke and sputtering will last. Is it something that'll go away after a quick drive around the block, or pretty much after a 6-mile drive to work? Please advise; thank you.

I never got any white smoke or sputtering. But, IMO it should go away after a short drive.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby captainpimp » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:42 pm

just did this today. got black smoke which went away after about 10 seconds. cylinders are burning off all the black residue which was loosened up from the cleaner. dude at auto parts store said you get the white smoke if you use "carb" cleaner. cleaner for fuel injected cars is what you're supposed to use.
captainpimp
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:40 pm

Smoke should be white I used STP throttle body cleaner and a brand new tire nylon brush to get all the way in there (I sopped up all the dirt wih paper towel) from the time I drove from @utoZone to my house the smoke was all gone.

Word 8)
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kx152rider » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:50 pm

won't this cause some buildup in your cat. I mean most of it will try to go out your exuast, but thats where most gets stuck to cause later problems.
kx152rider
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ~Spadwaller~ » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:05 pm

kx152rider wrote:won't this cause some buildup in your cat. I mean most of it will try to go out your exuast, but thats where most gets stuck to cause later problems.

Geez, do it or don't do it, but dont be a panzy about (FYI you might get your manicured hands dirty too)
~Spadwaller~
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bassthrive » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:06 pm

If you get any smoke it will be very brief right after you start it for the first time. If there is more than that it means that after you spray and scrub, you arent wiping/soaking up the dirty fluid with a rag well enough. And I gotta stress again, do not use carb & choke cleaner, its not the same.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5