[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Clean your throttle body
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Clean your throttle body

Clean your throttle body

Postby bassthrive » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:58 am

Go to an auto parts store and buy some throttle body cleaner spray - make sure its ok for fuel injected vehicles (i.e. not carb/choke cleaner). Take off the rubber intake hose going into the throttle body and spray that stuff in there, work the butterfly valve with your hand as you spray to get deep inside. I scrubbed with a toothbrush, then wiped out the nasty black crap with a rag. Go here for a tutorial with pictures... http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenan ... ttle_body/

- Paul
Last edited by bassthrive on Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby bkp_duke » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:18 am

how much of the carb cleaner should you let in the throttle body? does more equal better, or does it cause damage?

Is this the same as the decarb that the dealer does or is that just the injectors?
bkp_duke
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:22 pm

I put about half a can in. The directions on the can said spray for 6 seconds but it looked real dirty so I did more and it didnt hurt. I sprayed, scrubbed, wiped and repeated about 4 times. Expect your engine to "struggle" when starting it up at first, just keep the revs up and dont be scared by the white smoke coming out of the exhaust. All will return to normal in less than a minute.

Fuel system service at the dealer I feel is a total ripoff. They overcharge for things you can easily do yourself. My personal service consisted of throttle body spray, fuel injector cleaner (gas tank additive I bought at target) and replacement fuel filter. All totaled, it cost me around $30.

- Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby boneezy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:05 pm

was yours hella dirty?

and what was your mileage when u did it
1999 SE-V6 5spd
160,xxx miles
boneezy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:36 pm

A little over 60k, and yeah it was dirty. Before I did the cleaning my accel pedal felt "sticky". Now it moves super smooth and requires less foot effort to floor it 8) .
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby bkp_duke » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:00 am

This worked great! THANKS! The hesitation is gone and the idle is much smoother. My baby has 82k on her and the intake had never been cleaned. Looked VERY caked over w/ carbon, but now she looks like new.

I used the Valvoline intake cleaner (called them to make sure it was fuel injector safe - it is) and didn't have much problem with smoke after the process, although the start was VERY rough the first time. Went through the whole process twice for good measure.

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION:
If you use the Valvoline cleaner or one like it that uses a small straw-like nozel be VERY careful it doesn't come off. Mine shot off the can and into the intake. Freaked me out, but fortunately I was able to fish it out with a long pair of tweazers.
bkp_duke
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:21 am

bkp_duke wrote:If you use the Valvoline cleaner or one like it that uses a small straw-like nozel be VERY careful it doesn't come off. Mine shot off the can and into the intake. Freaked me out, but fortunately I was able to fish it out with a long pair of tweazers.

Yeah be careful with that. The spray really comes out of the can in a hurry and its possible it could take the straw with it!
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby bkp_duke » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:20 am

just wanted to touch base on this again -

I did a road trip this weekend to DC right after cleaning the throttle body and it did a world of good for the acceleration and gas mileage.

Got 450 miles on the tank w/ 80% highway driving (80-90 MPH speeds). Haven't had it that good in about 40,000 miles!
bkp_duke
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:45 am

Nice thanks, mine has some really caked on shi*t inside there. Ive been quoted $130 to clean it out by local shops here.
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bassthrive » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:09 pm

ICrazyChrisI wrote:Ive been quoted $130 to clean it out by local shops here.

Ahhh yes the joy of the DIY!!!

- Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby SolaraT » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:30 pm

Just too clear things up... Don't get "Carb Cleaner" we have Fuel Injected Vehicles so get the Fuel Injector Throttle Body cleaner. Not sure what the difference is in chemicals but there are two different aerosol sprays so get the right one.

I just did this and its sooooo good. Like night and day.

I did other maintenance also but still.

Some brands say spray for 6 seconds but that’s crap. Spray half the can!!! Ha-ha. Be warned you will have hesitation to start and you will need to either wait for it to dry up or hit the gas pedal to help start the car. (White smoke coming out of the exaust is normal)

Valvoline synthetic highly recommended. I used STP and worked well.
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby bassthrive » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:29 pm

solarat wrote:Don't get "Carb Cleaner" we have Fuel Injected Vehicles so get the Fuel Injector Throttle Body cleaner.

Yup, thats what I meant about making sure its made for fuel injected vehicles. I will edit my post to make that clear.

Thanks,
Paul
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby whiteflash » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:18 pm

i will be donig that tomm!
Injen w/CAI Extension
Vogtland Springs
Tokico Struts
Custom Full exhaust
TWM Shortshiftter
8000K HID Kit
whiteflash
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby StockSolara » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:07 am

COOL!!! Ima do this for the Solara and my dad's 1983 Fuel Injected Celica. . . hehe. . . over 20 years still running strong. . . gotta love Toyota :D
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby groovespacer » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:41 pm

Nice ...I'm going to have to do this one.
groovespacer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5