[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - LEFT WINDOW EXPLODED!!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

LEFT WINDOW EXPLODED!!

LEFT WINDOW EXPLODED!!

Postby modaman369 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:34 am

I cant believe this happened!!! I own a 2004 solara se, which I bought brand new in 04. I live in NJ and its gotten pretty cold up here lately. Last night, I was driving to my gf's place and I hit a small pot hole. Out of nowhere, my left window exploded into thousands of pieces. I tried to get a police report from the officer but he acted like it was a normal thing. He said it wasnt necessary. I understand its tempered glass and that it is supposed to break into many pieces but ,damn, can the cold really do that to a window? Has anyone gone through this?
modaman369
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 am

yes cold can do that, the window had stress on it and once you hit a pot hold it exploded. i once got hit with a rock on my windshield and it was just a bulls eye and it was hot out and as soon as i closed my window and turned on the ac the windshield cracked
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TLMNICK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 am

The chassis on these cars flex like crazy when you go over bumps and stuff....so the frigid temperatures and that pot hole you nailed could very well cause that window to shatter as it did.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LEE337 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:51 am

Dam dude that sucks :x

Another reason to get a TRD RSB. 8)
...less flex
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CASTRO » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:10 pm

^
good reasoning but with a swaybar it would allow less flex in the suspension but transfer it to the frame/body
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: LEFT WINDOW EXPLODED!!

Postby Dawgz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:54 pm

modaman369 wrote:I cant believe this happened!!! I own a 2004 solara se, which I bought brand new in 04. I live in NJ and its gotten pretty cold up here lately. Last night, I was driving to my gf's place and I hit a small pot hole. Out of nowhere, my left window exploded into thousands of pieces. I tried to get a police report from the officer but he acted like it was a normal thing. He said it wasnt necessary. I understand its tempered glass and that it is supposed to break into many pieces but ,damn, can the cold really do that to a window? Has anyone gone through this?

ya, NJ potholes usually eat cars alive.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby NightRider » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Hella weak! An unnecessary expensive right before Christmas!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Sorry to hear of your mishap, hope you all is well now.

-Michael T.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby modaman369 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 am

Thanks for the sympathy but hey at least it gives me an excuse not to go christmas shopping with my gf....(phew haha). Although, I bought a window for $95 and put it in yesterday. Took me about 20 mins to install and 2 HOURS to clean the glass. One problem though.....it's not fitting tight enough against the rubber on the top right corner if you're looking at it from the outside. Any suggestions? Also, is 95 a decent price? It was the lowest one I found.
modaman369
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SpeedySolara » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:02 am

$95 isnt all that bad BUT if it doesn't fit right then it doesn't matter how cheap it is if rain water will go in the cabin and damage the upholstry and electronic components. I can only imagine how annoying the air whistling through the gap is while driving at high speeds. hopefully its not that bad though and you wont have either case. otherwise I'd say get it exchanged.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Ruski » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:01 am

try reseating the window again on the track rails
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5