[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Wondering if aftermarket mobile NAV units can work in 04 SLE
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Wondering if aftermarket mobile NAV units can work in 04 SLE

Wondering if aftermarket mobile NAV units can work in 04 SLE

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:09 pm

If I got the SLE with NAV, I'd have to give up the 6 CD handling ability. I think it would kind of suck having to use only one CD in the CDROM slot and having to hit the button to slide out the front of the NAV unit everytime you wanted to change CD's. You'd probably want to slide out that NAV cover less often to minimize failure of the mechanism.

So here is my question.....

Would it be possible to put in and get to work an aftermarket NAV unit in the bottom storage area of the center dash? I'm almost certain any of the available models would easily fit into that area but have the following concerns:

1. Could you easily glance down that far to check out the map while driving? Perhaps you could just follow the voice prompts without having to look...

2. Could the built-in NAV GPS antenna work if the unit is that far below the top of the dash?

Has anyone so far tried this out to see if the antenna works or you'd need to buy a remote GPS antenna? If these models work, an SLE without NAV could be the best deal in terms of preserving great features and saving money.
Dave
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MrGBojangles » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:47 am

Sling:
Did you do this yet?
I'd like to get an aftermarket unit for the same reasons as you.
Thanks
Bojangles
2004 Solara SLE V6
Oceanus Pearl/Ivory Leather
VSC/TRAC/CURTAIN AIRBAGS
MrGBojangles
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:34 am

MrGBojangles wrote:Sling:
Did you do this yet?
I'd like to get an aftermarket unit for the same reasons as you.
Thanks

No, I ended up buying the Toyota NAV and am very glad I did. The center bottom storage area would have been way too low to glance down while driving without dangerous consequences. The top of the dash is not shaped well to have a portable NAV there.

The only option is to put the portable NAV in the bottom storage area and get an additional GPS antenna to mount higher. You'd have to listen to the voice prompts and not glance down. The built-in Toyota NAV voice prompts take over the left speaker which makes it far superior as loud music can never drown out the voice.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby JadedEMOlush » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:44 pm

Did you add the NAV afterwords? If so how much did toyota charge for parts and labor?
JadedEMOlush
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby slingshot » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:26 pm

No, I bought it with the car as an option. You cannot buy the TOyota built in NAV after buying the car without it. If you want to have NAV but didn't buy it with the car you are forced to buy a portable NAV or a third-party builtin one where you'll be forced to make dash changes.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby got sport » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:15 pm

So I can't install the SLE NAV in my SE Sport? I drove a GS 430 last night with a GPS NAV, and I want to get a NAV now. It was sweet.
<b>'04 V6 SE Sport -Black</b>
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gotsport
got sport
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:22 pm

got xango wrote:So I can't install the SLE NAV in my SE Sport? I drove a GS 430 last night with a GPS NAV, and I want to get a NAV now. It was sweet.

You'd have to figure out a way to buy the Toyota NAV separately (only option is from a wrecked car) then figure out how to take your whole dash apart. I highly doubt Toyota would do this install for you. The only other options are what I said earlier.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby o4sol » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:41 am

Im thinking the line of site would be off too much.
'04 Solara
o4sol
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5