[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 3.3 V6 How Do You Like It?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

3.3 V6 How Do You Like It?

3.3 V6 How Do You Like It?

Postby 700t » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:09 pm

I own the 1mz-fe 3.0 V6 and love it. Just curious how you like the 3.3 V6 and how it compares to the 3.0. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx.
700t
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:07 pm

It's even better! Car magazines have rated it more than a second faster to 60mph. You can feel that difference and also the engine now has a sportier exhaust note than before when accelerating hard.

This same engine is used in the Lexus ES330 and RX330 models too.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby dabuda » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:34 am

i luv the engine...it was one of the main reasons i bought the solara...having the same engine as the ES330/RX330 for under $25k! cant beat it!
dabuda
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theflow » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:21 am

I wonder if anyone has revved up the engine yet. I tried it this weekend. Kinda disappointed. I felt the torque disappeared instantly after the rpm passed 3600-4000 rpm. By saying instantly, I mean it really feels like the torque is increasing all the way to 3600-4000 rpm and boom, it just dropped to the bottom and stayed flat there. I kept it revving up to about 4500-5000 rpm. But there's just no more torque/power and the engine made so much noise that I have to upshift. I know these engines are not designed for racing but I thought the VVT-i is the same as the VTEC, which is a rev-happy engine??
theflow

Postby kubi » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:35 am

VVT-i and VTEC are not the same. Try searching, there are several posts discussing it. Yes, Solaras have little power on the top end, this is a well known fact.
Please stop humping my car, owner privilege!
kubi
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

try this

Postby guess » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:09 pm

Try VVTI-L
guess

Postby TW85 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:33 pm

I pushed my car the other day while merging. I had no idea the car could accelerate so quickly, LOL.

You either get an engine with a good top end or an engine with good bottom end acceleration. I prefer the latter.
TW85
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theflow » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:58 pm

I prefer the low end torque also. That's why I bought the 3.3L. I was under the impression that the VVT-i has low end torque and also high end power. I guess I was wrong.
theflow

Postby msz31 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:16 pm

This engine is very quick. While I have noticed that either the car takes off or it needs a second to find where its at before the power comes on. I really think the transmission shifting thing is a gimmic. It doesnt seem to be any different than if you took any other old auto and ran it through the gears, only this is condoned by the manufacturer now. It is nice to downshift when passing though.
MSZ31

2004 Solara SE Sport
msz31
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:27 pm

msz31 wrote:This engine is very quick. While I have noticed that either the car takes off or it needs a second to find where its at before the power comes on. I really think the transmission shifting thing is a gimmic. It doesnt seem to be any different than if you took any other old auto and ran it through the gears, only this is condoned by the manufacturer now. It is nice to downshift when passing though.

I don't think it's a gimmick. When I had heavy snowfall and was driving down a curving drop in the entrance road leading from my parking lot, I put the manumatic in first gear to purposely go very slow to not slip. I could also see how it would be useful on the highway when wanting to do a quick passing move.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

not a good idea

Postby angelo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:32 am

slingshot wrote:
msz31 wrote:This engine is very quick. While I have noticed that either the car takes off or it needs a second to find where its at before the power comes on. I really think the transmission shifting thing is a gimmic. It doesnt seem to be any different than if you took any other old auto and ran it through the gears, only this is condoned by the manufacturer now. It is nice to downshift when passing though.

I don't think it's a gimmick. When I had heavy snowfall and was driving down a curving drop in the entrance road leading from my parking lot, I put the manumatic in first gear to purposely go very slow to not slip. I could also see how it would be useful on the highway when wanting to do a quick passing move.

not a good idea to go downhill in a curve in first gear in slippery conditions with open differential :-? I hope you have the stability control option... :wink:
angelo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby slingshot » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:30 pm

Yes I have stability control and it works great in the snow. The downhill is very gradual and short so no problem.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby o4sol » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:10 am

torque will be felt down low on a v6 of this design and then the car will rev nicely pulling to the redline. dont expect to be pushed into the seat at 5000 rpm though.
'04 Solara
o4sol
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: try this

Postby 2004Sport » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:07 am

guess wrote:Try VVTI-L
haha you mean VVTL-I like i have in my gts celica shown here!!!

2004Sport
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5