[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Left drift - 3 dealer survey & Tire trade in comments
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Left drift - 3 dealer survey & Tire trade in comments

Left drift - 3 dealer survey & Tire trade in comments

Postby Animal » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:21 pm

I called three Toyota dealer service depts 1/26 and casually asked them if they're familiar with the Solara left pull/drift problem.

First one said, "Yes, we're pretty much just waiting to hear from Toyota. We've seen several vehicles for this problem and can't fix it."

Second one: "What left drift?" :x

Third: "You want to be put on our list of people to notify when we get word?"

I'm going with the third dealership, which just happens to be where I purchased - but is farthest away. Driving my Accord in the meantime...

BTW -
I went to a Bridgestone dealer and asked if he'd take my Turanzas in on trade towards some Michelins. (They have under 500 miles on them.) He was willing to put Pilot Sport A/S 225/50's in their place for $129 each. That works out to about $80 a piece for the Turanzas. Comments/thoughts?
2004 Solara SE V6 Sport Coupe
Black/Black
35% tint
Partially debadged
http://members.cardomain.com/04solara
Animal
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Dealers

Postby glenb » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:07 pm

You are lucky your dealer didn't give you a line of BS
2004 SLE V6
Desert Sand Mica/Ivory
glenb
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

lol

Postby bigpow » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:58 pm

Glenb,
you beat me to it... LOL
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

drift

Postby larietrope » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:00 am

I have the 4 cylinder Solara with Michelins from the factory-no drift problem.
larietrope
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Left drift - 3 dealer survey & Tire trade in comment

Postby fotodad » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:57 pm

Animal wrote:BTW -
I went to a Bridgestone dealer and asked if he'd take my Turanzas in on trade towards some Michelins. (They have under 500 miles on them.) He was willing to put Pilot Sport A/S 225/50's in their place for $129 each. That works out to about $80 a piece for the Turanzas. Comments/thoughts?

That seems like a great deal! I'd jump on it! What is he going to charge you for balancing and mounting?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Animal » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:07 am

fotodad wrote:That seems like a great deal! I'd jump on it! What is he going to charge you for balancing and mounting?

We didn't get that far in our negotiations, just wanted to find out from him if it was a possibility.

Since I posted, I have written Bridgestone and they opened a case number for me. They'll consider whether to give me a credit towards an upgraded tire. If they don't, I think I'll strongly consider the Continental ContiExtremeContacts. They are highly rated at Tirerack.com and *much* less than the Michelins. (around $100 each)
215/50wr17 sound right? The 225's only come in 45s and I think the diameter is too small. What size Michelins did you decide on?
2004 Solara SE V6 Sport Coupe
Black/Black
35% tint
Partially debadged
http://members.cardomain.com/04solara
Animal
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:01 am

Animal wrote:What size Michelins did you decide on?

I hope I get this right.

Factory: 215/55-17
First set of Michelins: 225/55-17 (too big, rubbed on strut assembly)
current set of Michelins: 225/50-17 (perfect fit)

If you want me to double check these numbers to make sure I'm right, let me know.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby msz31 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:13 pm

fotodad, does your solara still experience left drift? My dad pointed out that he had a Jetta once that came with tires that were made from a defective mold so that any of the cars with those tires experienced a drift problem. Once the tire was replaced, the car was fine. I dont think Ive seen any posts on anyone checking the tires.
MSZ31

2004 Solara SE Sport
msz31
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:43 am

For the most part, since I replaced the factory tires, the drift problem is gone. Now there have a been a few time when I've let go of the wheel on the highway and noticed a slight left drift, but it could easily have been due to wind or road conditions. Interesting thoughts on that tire mold condition you described.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5