[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cat Converter needs replacing, is that common for the 6 cyl?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Cat Converter needs replacing, is that common for the 6 cyl?

Cat Converter needs replacing, is that common for the 6 cyl?

Postby rdrunr » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:58 pm

My wife's 2004 Solara convertible check engine light has been on for close to a yr and we have decided to finally try to get to the bottom of the problem. The code seems to suggest the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. The car has 85k on it. Is this common with the 6 cyl? Any chance Toyota will cover it's replacement?

Any info will surely be appreciated!
rdrunr
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bbq bob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 pm

my cat went at 113,00
330 whp , 331 ft. lbs. torque Camry , Track driven , Race proven , lots of mods.Image
bbq bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:08 pm

wat code?
i have a p0420 code which says its a cat problem
but i took it to the dealer and they said it might be an 02 sensor problem

so to make it short
if its the cat its free replacement because of the 8 year 100k? emmisions warrenty
if its an o2 and not the cat, they will charge u for the diagnostic (110$ in my case)

im at around 48k, came on around 47k but i have a 4cyl
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Hey man, not flame or anything, but WHY would you wait a year to get a CEL checked? You could have made the costs for repairs way more by waiting. Plus if there is a problem with the emissions stuff or the fuel delivery, you can end up losing gas mileage and engine life. Please don't ignore a CEL.
But anyway, I had two of my O2 sensors fail at about 95k Mi. so that could be the problem, and if it is a bad cat, that can lead to O2 sensor failure too. Either way I'm glad you are finally getting it fixed.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NightRider » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 am

Think it's bs that most of these type of problems happen over 100K when a lot of people's car's warranty's end at 100K
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:56 am

I would clear the code and see how long it takes for the CEL to return, if at all. I'm not sure about the gen 2's, but the gen 1's can run a tad rich from time to time causing the O2 sensor after the cat to give a faulty reading. I threw a P0420 code twice a couple of years back and it's never returned since.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TadS » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I just run O2 sims and no cats on my cars :). Problems fixxed.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Midias » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:46 pm

For code p0420 do the anti fouler mod. 5 dollars less than 30 min install time and you are all set.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NightRider » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

whats the anti fouler mod?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

NightRider wrote:whats the anti fouler mod?

Using the SEARCH function and SEARCHING for the term "anti fouler" this crazy tutorial comes up in the list of SEARCHED threads.

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php? ... nti+fouler

Might help?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby kevingtb1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:42 am

Hello just new here, hope to stay long. Thanks
kevingtb1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kevingtb1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:43 am

By the way I need help. I was confused if the magnaflow catalytic converter is pretty good?and also where to buy? I do searched and I tried it here for some queries Magnaflow Catalytic Converter. Anyone tried it here.? Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
Last edited by kevingtb1 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevingtb1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NRDriver » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:44 pm

TadS wrote:I just run O2 sims and no cats on my cars :). Problems fixxed.

if you throw an o2 sim on it and it has a clogged cat it will hurt your engine
00 Solara,SEV6,ASA JH8, hks ignition, JET chip, greddy evo,TSW short shifter,carbon dash,TRD kit, Weapon r SR w/ CA ext, DATSrpipe, TRD springs/struts
NRDriver
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby FLUXEMAG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 am

Unfortunately, the emmissions warranty on the catalytic converter is 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I have the P0420 code as well, and am searching around for a cheaper cat, because I have 84k on my 05 solara. And it could still be the O2 sensors, but not likely since that is the only code I have.

It took a long time for the code to reappear after it was reset, probably because I never drive the required speed/distance to have the test trigger. First time my wife drove it the code came back. But you fail emmissions anyways even if the light is off after being reset, because the test would say Not Ready. So you can't just reset it and go take the test.
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby FLUXEMAG » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Haha! I borrowed my friend's OBDII reader after the downstream O2 sensor replacement didn't fix the P0420 code. I was going to replace the upstream O2 sensor, but it was a bastard to reach because of a heatshield covering it and the exhaust manifold. So I reset the code, and it said "not ready" until the code came back. I would not have passed emissions. My registration was due, so I had to figure this out. After resetting it several times over a week, and checking the code every time I stopped the car after driving a while, I finally got a passing signal from the OBDII. I went straight down to the emissions test and passed. Got a two year registration renewal. A day later I got P0420 again...but I will trade the car in before I need to fix it. The car runs fine, I'm sure it's a marginal emissions issue with the bank1 catalytic converter. The one O2 sensor cost me $68 on Amazon, and they accepted the other one as a return. Also I didn't have to buy the cat for $300 OE fit, $650 dealership. I probably would have done the OE fit, but I just couldn't get my hand in there to remove all of the bolts.
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Rusty White
2005 Solara SE Sport V6, Lunar Mist
2010 G37 Coupe, Moonlight White
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5