[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - My review on the '04 with 41,000 miles
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

My review on the '04 with 41,000 miles

My review on the '04 with 41,000 miles

Postby Fatal-NJ » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:56 pm

Just hit 41,000 miles on my Solara today so I thought I'd tell you guys the problems I've faced and how I feel about the quality of it.
About a month ago my cd player broke (CD was stuck; error 3 kept popping up) so Toyota has happy to replace it with another one...for $285. $199 for the radio and $80 something for the installation. It sucked...the thing that made me REALLY F!!!!ING mad was that I had 36,030 miles on the car and they could'nt give me a break with the 3 year/36k mile warranty. I talked to the sales manager and said that he could'nt help since I was over mileage...which I don't deny, but c'mon, give me a break!
Also, it looks like I'm going to need new tires too, since the Turanza stocks they gave us only have about a 30,000 mile lifespan. I've been going around and the cheapest ones I could find were about $130...I think they were Bridgestones, but I can't remember. But then again, I guess that is normal wear and tear so I can't complain...even though my sisters G35 came with tires that have a 65,000 mile limit...
I'm sure you other guys have this problem concerning the loud a$$ sunroof, but it's really starting to annoy me...especially since my toyota dealership refuses to help me since I passed the 36,000 mark... It sounds like a cat dying!
The ride in my Solara is also definately not as smooth as when I first got it. I keep my car well maintained (oil change every 3k, lubing, rotating tires, etc) and I must say that it's starting to drive like my old '98 Civic that had 200,000+ miles on it. I am not exaggerating. I only have a '04 SE and now I kind of regret that I did'nt get the V6 since I can definately feel the loss of power.
I have to say that the '04 is a beautiful car, which is why I bought it, but I'm scared that when it hits the 80,000+ mile mark, it's going to turn into my moms '00 Malibu...a piece of $hit! I'm especially worried since I've read on these posts that most of our car parts are American made... Now, I'm not a terrorist or anything, but a majority of American cars/parts suck...All my friends who have Chevys and Fords always have problems after the first year or two...Are we doomed too?
If I could do it over again, I think I would have bought a used GS400 or new IS300 which I originally planned. I know I'll probaly catch heat from you guys for this, but I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER SOLARA EVER EVER EVER AGAIN! I'LL BE TAKING MY BUSINESS BACK TO HONDA/ACURA!

Oh yea, I do drive my car like a maniac which probaly effects alot on the car performance((racing, making turns going 40, slamming on breaks, etc), but I'm only 22, so what do you expect?!

On a final note, I do have to say that the Solara has helped me get countless phone numbers and meaningless sex. I live about 5 minutes away from Seaside Heights, a resort town on the Jersey shore that is full of woman on vacation who forget about their boyfriends. Their so many times I've been screamed at by horny 18-20 year old chicks to pullover(which I do in a hearbeat) and turned a boring weekday night into a crazed motel party full of jell-o shots and beer pong. Hope my girlfriend never reads this! Hehe!
Fatal-NJ
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Shoe » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:18 pm

On a final note, I do have to say that the Solara has helped me get countless phone numbers and meaningless sex. I live about 5 minutes away from Seaside Heights, a resort town on the Jersey shore that is full of woman on vacation who forget about their boyfriends

THis is where I sugest we have the 1st ever Gen 2 solara meeting everyone and everyone who owns 1 of these cars should band together here for the last weekend of the summer to do who kows what with who knows who

party on and holly crap do you ever drive alot man

shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby krawzyazn » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:39 pm

got damn 41k only 1 year old and i thought i was bad haha
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby bender » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:39 pm

Now, I'm not a terrorist or anything, but a majority of American cars/parts suck

how is saying american made cars are garbage make one a terrorost?
:)
bender
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby QBallTBEB » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:56 pm

Not to sound all "Solara Lover - Honda/Acura Sucks" but my buddy owns a Acura CL 01 and his mom owns a Acura TL 02 and both combined have gone through 7 trannys in the past 2 years.
2004 V6 Sport Pearl White Solara :) Solara > CL
QBallTBEB
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby technole » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:08 am

Oh and American Honda is better?

The Kentucky-bred Toyotas have been really good, the Camry, Solara, and Avalon.. other then the curtain air bags in the Camry division.
2004 Solara V6 SLE w/XM Satellite Radio
technole
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby michaels artic frost » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:31 am

I live bout 25 minutes away from the Toyota Plant in Georgetown, KY which makes the Solaras. I know quite a few people that work there as well. I'm really indifferent about where the car is made, just as long as they do a good job. :)

To be honest, from readin your post, you put that car through some sh*t, and to top it off, it's a I4.
However, I'm only 28 and I've learned that in order for a car to last, you can not put it through hell if you want to keep it for a long time. I've got the V6 and hope that it keeps on ticking for a long a$$ time.

Fatal-NJ wrote: Oh yea, I do drive my car like a maniac which probaly effects alot on the car performance((racing, making turns going 40, slamming on breaks, etc), but I'm only 22, so what do you expect?!

I did the same thing in my '95 MX-3 I4 and I put it through hell and engine had to be replaced at 150,000 miles. I never really bashed Mazdas.

But look on the brighter side, you're 22 and you've got a new ride and you want to show it off. I think we've all been there and done that.

So...are you planning to trade this one in or perhaps sell it and get something else?

Side note: Your aggresssive drivin should have made you think twice about getting the extended warranty and sorry to hear that they didn't cut you any slack with your stereos...I can't stand dealerships...PERIOD! :evil: They never cut you any slack. However, there are some that are willing to work with ya.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:52 am

bender wrote:
Now, I'm not a terrorist or anything, but a majority of American cars/parts suck

how is saying american made cars are garbage make one a terrorost?
:)

I understand bender's aspect here...haha...

On a sidenote: as car's moderize,more gizmo's are added to add to the 'whole-hearted' experience. Thereby leading to more possiblity of problems that can be entailed. In a nutshell, older cars were easy to maintain cus' they were simple. Toyota is not the only manufacturer who has been plagued with minor problems....talk to a lot of 350Z/G35 dudes and you'll see the world of difference from what info. you think you didn't know! I had to change my stock tires at 20K miles..so i know that feeling personally...now i'm close to 50K miles..and current ones look better than the one's offered by potenza's re92. On a sidenote: when you are plannint to sell the car, do give to me for a week....i woun't mind a week of young beauties wanting to party! :drinking:
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Shoe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:06 am

i woun't mind a week of young beauties wanting to party!

who said they were beautiful?

shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:07 am

Shoe wrote:

shoe

after a few drinks...your sig is beautiful too! :drinking: :lol:
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby michaels artic frost » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:09 am

Jai wrote:
Shoe wrote:

shoe

after a few drinks...your sig is beautiful too! :drinking: :lol:

LMFAO...silly :lol:
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Mole » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:20 pm

can't really compare w/ "american" made cars since most of them are assembled in Mexico.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5