[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Annoying smell coming from air vents
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Annoying smell coming from air vents

Postby MrMikeL » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:56 am

Jewls,

Your comment was unwelcome and unbecoming of people on this forum. And how can running your fan for a few minutes hurt you or your vehicle??

I'm outta here.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:06 am

:-? Ok I am confused, when did I accuse you of hurting my car? I said it's happened BEFORE. All I am saying is, when you quote a dealer manual, it's normal for people to want to read it for themselves, noone was calling you a liar.
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MrMikeL » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:12 am

Jewls needs to read before s/he writes.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mattyboyl » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:47 am

Mr.MikeL,

Jewls never said anything that should of offended you. Jewls simply stated that he tried doing what you said and it didn't work. I am still waiting for the page reference since you said it yourself, and I quote, "Check your mauals folks." So stop being so damn dramatic and stop bitching about this forum. This topic is being discussed in the General talk section if you want in. I'm sick of people bitching about this forum because you take things the wrong way. The moderators police this forum and keep out the trash. Bottom line. You don't like it, get out! Try visiting another forum. You'll get flamed BAD for posting this drama crap! I guarantee that! I invite you to go somewhere and see for yourself.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:51 am

Well said Matt, only I am a SHE! I will let it slide this time. :wink:
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mattyboyl » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:56 am

Come on Jewls, why are you ripping on me? That was unneccessary. :D Some people need to just get a life. Life's too short. 8) Oh and sorry for the "he" thing. Won't happen again :oops:

One more thing. I noticed in your sig that your car is slow but pretty. Do you call 15.0 1/4 mile SLOW?? It's not the fastest thing around, but it isn't slow by any means. Hell, this car is faster than my GT below and that was a modified auto! :o
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:14 am

Ok this is way off topic, but my sig is an inside joke between me and my other half. He just got a Titan, and every time I drive my car after driving the Titan, it's a world of difference. I always tell him my car is slow after that. I do agree that for a 4 banger, it's got a lot of get up and go.

Now back on topic, someone sent me a PM with a suggestion on how to get rid of the smell, if it works, I'll post it up. :D
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MrMikeL » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:45 am

Dear Mattyboyl,

Jewls has conveniently edited her post and removed what I considered to be an offensive, sarcastic remark, referring to me as a "genius". You may not have seen that before she edited the post. Therefore I stand by what I said - I am offended by her sarcasm. It would be similar to me asking her if her signature "she may be slow but she sure is pretty" is referring to her or her car.

I will locate the passage in the user manual this evening and let you know where I saw it.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mattyboyl » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:49 am

Thanks Mr.MikeL, that's all I want. Seeing is believing.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DocJohn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:16 am

I too would be interested in reading a solution to this “odor problem”. I only have about 2100 miles on my Solara and the A/C is starting to get the musty moldy odor to it. (Do I hear another TSB being issued: “Correction of musty moldy A/C stink problem”?)

I would agree that tearing down and cleaning the A/C coil would help, but that probably involves a good bit of work and would not necessarily prevent the mold from coming back. Hopefully someone can find a “less invasive” fix to this problem. In the meantime I guess I’ll have to invest in a case of “Real Pine” air fresheners and use them until winter gets here. :)
<B>2004 Solara SLE V6 with mods (sold 10/10/06)
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MrMikeL » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:38 am

I found it - in my Honda manual! But it's good advice for all heavy A/C users. Turn the A/C off, turn the fan on high (make sure it's on fresh air, not recirculating), and let it run for at least 5 minutes. I do this right before I get home, open the windows, and let the fan run on high.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DocJohn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:55 am

MrMikeL wrote:I found it - in my Honda manual! But it's good advice for all heavy A/C users. Turn the A/C off, turn the fan on high (make sure it's on fresh air, not recirculating), and let it run for at least 5 minutes. I do this right before I get home, open the windows, and let the fan run on high.

Makes sense, this should help dry out the A/C coil. A dry coil would help prevent mold growth.
(MrMikeL: Thanks for the fix, but living up in Minn maybe you get to use your A/C what 3 or 4 weeks out of the year?? lol)
<B>2004 Solara SLE V6 with mods (sold 10/10/06)
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MrMikeL » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:25 am

3 or 4 DAYS maybe! Actually, it can get very hot and humid up here, though not this summer. Maybe next year!
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sleeper solara » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:38 pm

do i just bring my car in to the dealer and ask them to clean the coils?
Fabulous
May she rest in peace.
November 19, 2003 - March 4, 2005
She gave me her all and never complained.
I will remember her always.
sleeper solara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5