[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Annoying smell coming from air vents
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Annoying smell coming from air vents

Postby junest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:07 am

I've had my car for 5 months now and I've never experience anything like that. It might just be a really strong "new car" smell. If it worsens, get it checked out.
2004 Solara SLE V6 Convertible
Webpage
junest
super solara girl
super solara girl

Postby MrMikeL » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:49 am

Make sure you put the vents on "Fresh Air" instead of "Recirculate". And DEFINITELY run the fan on high, on fresh air, A/C off, for a few minutes before shutting her down.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

same problem

Postby engslut » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:38 am

I have noticed the same smell from my vents too when just the fan is on. Which is why I also keep the A/C on unless the windows and sun roof are open. It smells really bad but I really doubt there is much u can do about it though. I just always have alot of air fresheners in my car at all times!
Solara SE Sport 2004
Ice Blue
engslut
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby MrMikeL » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:47 am

Read your manuals, folks! It's very clear in there about how to avoid the musty's. I've had Toyota's since 1982 and they always cover this topic. But this is not unique to Toyota, it's true for all cars with an A/C system. If you don't dry out the coils by letting the fan run on high, fresh air, A/C off, then you will have mildew build-up. This is a health concern!! Do you really think it's healthy to breathe mold & mildew spores which fly out of the vents every time you turn on the fan??

Your dealer can service this problem by cleaning the musty coils. But the problem will return if you don't follow some simple steps to prevent the problem from recurring.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:15 am

Ok that's gross, I notice the same thing in my car, you would think they'd find a way to prevent musty-ness.
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mattyboyl » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:20 pm

Makes sense, but I don't remember reading that in my manual. So, you run the went on high for how long after the use f the air conditioner? Could you refer to the page in the manual. Thanks.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby online » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:19 pm

I picked up my 05 going on 3 weeks now. The day I picked it up I just got it in the garage (on a Saturday) when it started to rain. This gave me the opporunity to read the owner's manual from cover to cover. There is nothing in the manual that addresses MrMikeL comments. MrMikeL please provide info on what page in the manual that you are referrring to.

Thanks in advance....by the way if you can not provide details please don't post inaccurate feedback/info
2005 SLE Convertible
Absolute Red - Black Top
Nav System
K & N Filter
Mud guards
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dawp » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:49 pm

i haven't smelt any thing musty,but i have from time to time smelt anti-freeze after the car has been sitting for several hours.next time i take it in for service,i'm gonna have them look at that.
dawp
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mattyboyl » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:57 am

I've read it cover to cover a few times and haven't found it either. That is why I am asking for a page number.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:23 am

Ok I tried running the fan for a while before parking her for the night, and it still smells like crap.
Last edited by Jewls on Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MrMikeL » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:24 am

Jewls,

Have the coils cleaned first, THEN you can prevent the problem from recurring by following the previous advice. The problem won't go away without a cleaning.

This used to be a nice forum to visit, now I'm not so sure.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jewls » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:44 am

We are not trying to rag on you dude, but if you volunteer info, and state it's directly from a manual, it's not a far stretch that people wanna page number. I have had people give me false advice before, and it hurt more than it helped.
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5