[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cowl Shake
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Cowl Shake

Cowl Shake

Postby eh0013 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 pm

Hi. This is my first posting but have been reading this forum since I got my 2005 SE convertible in Oct. 2004. I am very glad to have found this site and read it at least 2x a day. One topic I have searched for has to do with "cowl shake". I've used the search engine of the site but have not really found it addressed in any length. In fact, I am beginning to think that it is the "elephant in the room" for convertible owners. The cowl shake is very pronounce. Don't get me wrong - I really like this car -but all that talk about "building a dedicated convertible from the ground up" has brought my expectations pretty high such that when I first experienced the shake, I almost wanted to return the car. Consumer Reports, which I tend to trust, echos this evaluation as well. I wanted to breach this topic and am curious as to what others might say about it. Thank you.
2005 Convertible SE
Arctic Frost
eh0013
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:10 pm

Hey fellow drop topper. I assume we're talking about the windshield frame? Yeah, when mine was new it spooked me too. Fist I thought it was optical illusion, then I thought the thing was about to shake off the car with every bump. But for one, in time you get totally used to it and stop seeing it. For two, I drove my Dad's '99 Celica GT (after prod chop) and it's more pronounced in that car. So I chaulked it up to the way it's gotta be.
I can tell you that after 11K and one year, the windshield hasn't cracked and it still attached. I think it's in the design. Kind of a little shock absorbing for the structure. not that there are joints in the lower corners on both. If that's not what "Cowl shake" is then disregard. Trust me, you'll notice it less every day. Anyone have other comparisons?
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby eh0013 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:59 pm

down2thec wrote:Hey fellow drop topper. I assume we're talking about the windshield frame? Yeah, when mine was new it spooked me too. Fist I thought it was optical illusion, then I thought the thing was about to shake off the car with every bump. But for one, in time you get totally used to it and stop seeing it. For two, I drove my Dad's '99 Celica GT (after prod chop) and it's more pronounced in that car. So I chaulked it up to the way it's gotta be.
I can tell you that after 11K and one year, the windshield hasn't cracked and it still attached. I think it's in the design. Kind of a little shock absorbing for the structure. not that there are joints in the lower corners on both. If that's not what "Cowl shake" is then disregard. Trust me, you'll notice it less every day. Anyone have other comparisons?

Thanks for your reply. And for those unfamiliar with the phrase "cowl shake", some use it to describe the flexing of the body (including the windshield area) due in part to the absence of the support the steel roof provides. It can be an unsettling feeling especially if you are used to the ridgidity of a "roofed" vehicle. The dashboard, the mirror, and everything else starts to giggle when you hit an uneven surface. It is somewhat reassuring to know that your car is not the only one that does this, and in fact, other convertibles experience the same problem. The Solara, being a bigger vehicle, appears to have it worse as compared to a smaller, two seater perhaps.
2005 Convertible SE
Arctic Frost
eh0013
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mikei » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:00 pm

I also noticed it when I first got the car. Now for some reason I do not notice it anymore. I notice it even less now that I have upgraded to all TRD parts including the Front Strut Bar. The TRD Strut Bar cannot be making that much of a difference but I corner like hell on wheels and do not notice the cowl shake most of the time.

One thing I do in slower traffic Downtown when the street is really bad. I slow down and try to avoid the biggest bumps until I get to better pavement and that seems to help a lot.

Make sure the dealer re-torques the X-Brace on your convertible when you go in for service. They are supposed to check it on the Convertibles but usually will not do it unless you tell them and yes mine was loose and that helped reduce the cowl shake a lot.
2005 Solara SLE V6 Convertible-Silver
VSC/TRAC/NAV/XM Sat/Mudflaps/Clear license plate covers/Bug deflector/Glass breakage sensor/SS Door Sills/Eclipse backup camera
Japan voice-mic/Everything TRD
mikei
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MrMikeL » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:50 am

I agree with mikei. I have read elsewhere that a stronger, stiffer front strut tower brace WILL help to reduce "cowl shake" on convertibles. I haven't installed one yet, so I don't know if it's true in reality.

I test drove several drop tops before deciding on the Solara, and the Solara had the least cowl shake of the others, so be glad you have the Solara instead of, say, the Chrysler Sebring. The Solara is also the quietest of all the 'verts I tested.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby eh0013 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:16 am

Thanks again so much for your replies. I honestly was somewhat regretting (until now) the risk I took in buying a model that is relatively new. And yes, this is my first experience owning or driving a convertible other than the Geo I drove in Hawaii for 5 days during my honeymoon. Other than this concern, the Solara has been a wonderful car for my wife and me. We look forward to the weekends when we get to ride it together. This was also the compromise for me selling my motorcycle which was of course much more dangerous and in some ways less free - the helmet can be a bit claustrophobic which somewhat defeats the purpose. On the other hand, I still think that riding without one (helmet) is taking too much of a risk. The convertible has all the benefits, comfort, plus the convenience of covering yourself from the rain without all the armor, and additional layers.
2005 Convertible SE
Arctic Frost
eh0013
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crimson blades » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:34 pm

MrMikeL wrote:I agree with mikei. I have read elsewhere that a stronger, stiffer front strut tower brace WILL help to reduce "cowl shake" on convertibles. I haven't installed one yet, so I don't know if it's true in reality.

Has anyone with a Convertible just installed the TRD FSTB? Did it make much difference? I have been thinking about it, but reading what others have said about just doing the one end and not both and how it affected the ride I have been a bit leery to do it.

As for the motorcycle part I agree with you, if only they could make the car accelerate like a bike though. LOL
When in doubt gas it out, brakes just slow you down.
crimson blades
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mikei » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:35 pm

If you are going with the TRD Front Strut Bar why not also install the TRD Rear Sway Bar at the same time (middle setting).

Then you do not have to worry about all the comments that have been made about installing one without the other.

Shop around for the best installation rates at the various Toyota Dealers in your area the prices differ widely and some will include installation in the price of the parts.

Reason for having Toyota do the installation is that if anything goes wrong the first words out of the Dealership are did you have these TRD Mods installed by Toyota? They are covered for the length of your new car warranty.

That alone is worth a few extra pesos.

Just make sure that the Dealer is a TRD Dealer and make sure to tell them that you want the TRD trained technician to work on your car.

I hope this helps :lol: :o :D :)
VSC/TRAC/NAV/XM Sat/Mudflaps/Clear license plate covers/Bug deflector/Glass breakage sensor/SS Door Sills/Eclipse backup camera
mikei
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mattyboyl » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:35 am

I can compare cowl shake with how sky scrapers are made to sway alittle in the wind. It is a shock absorbing thing due to physics. You take a windshield without much support and have no give or play as it stands up against the elements of being constantly having the wind push up against it while driving, you will have it crack under pressure. The rigidity of the cowl allows it enough flexibility to eliminate that pressure. That's just my take on it. Obviously some cars have more cowl shake than others. This is normal however in all convertibles.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cablemn » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:39 am

Maybe a nice roll bar in the style of an old shelby mustang convertible would do a good job of lessening your cowl shake. Its something to think about.
cablemn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crimson blades » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:31 pm

mikei wrote:If you are going with the TRD Front Strut Bar why not also install the TRD Rear Sway Bar at the same time (middle setting).

Then you do not have to worry about all the comments that have been made about installing one without the other.

Just make sure that the Dealer is a TRD Dealer and make sure to tell them that you want the TRD trained technician to work on your car.

I hope this helps :lol: :o :D :)

I was thinking about doing both. But I find as I get older I like the nice soft ride of my SLE and was wondering how much I would give up going TRD.

As for using a TRD dealer, the closest one is about 150 miles away so I think I would do it myself.

Thank you for the help though, its something to think about now that spring is here.
crimson blades
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:04 pm

I don't think your ride will change from the RSB and certainly not from the Front. Rear make her roll less when cornering. Front I'm told (alright... I mean I've read... here.) doesn't do a heck of a lot more than the stock. But in general it's to prevent twist. Our convertible was designed with extra bracing in the frame to prevent torsion. I've been in the post-production convertibles and trust me, you can tell the difference. So if you want to corner tight get the RSB. Your springs will still take the bumps nice and luxury-like. Any SLE's with TRD RSB to back me up?
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mikei » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Your springs will still take the bumps nice and luxury-like. Any SLE's with TRD RSB to back me up?

I have all the TRD parts that are available on my 2005 SLE Convertible

and If I could do it again I would have held off the Lowering Spring Set

until an aftermarket complete solution became available. The SLE Struts

on the Convertible even though they are heavier struts than on a regular

(non-convertible SLE) they are not a perfect match for the TRD Springs.

That said, it looks great lowered. And it is under warranty if the oem struts do not hold up.

And yes it corners like a Miata and freaks people out that are following behind me because they cannot believe that a Toyota can take corners that fast.

I should also say that I have 18" TRD Wheels with Low profile Michelin Pilot Sports.

The VSC and TRAC bails me out if I go into the corner too fast.

Not for the faint of Heart for sure.

Mike I.
mikei
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby crimson blades » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the help. Now I have even more things to spend money on for the car. Thanks again for the information though, it's nice to be able to ask someone who's been there already.
crimson blades
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Cowl Shake

Postby solara frank » Wed May 04, 2005 7:34 pm

I have an '06 convertible. I do not notice a lot of shake with this car. I drove an '05 last summer and it DID shake a lot. I doubt Toyota made any engineering/design modifications to the '06, so who knows... maybe I am not critical enough. ;-) Anyway, the ride is really good. No probs with "cowl shake" in my '06. It is a really nice car!
solara frank
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5