[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Static Electricity shocks when exiting
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Static Electricity shocks when exiting

Postby slingshot » Sun May 08, 2005 7:19 pm

Nah, I'm not mounting that antenna just to get rid of shock. I don't like the look of it.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: Static Electricity shocks when exiting

Postby BigPhizzle » Mon May 09, 2005 11:49 am

slingshot wrote:This car gives me static electricity shocks every time I get out of the car and touch the car door to close it. I presently have all weather rubber mats in front. How am I getting such a buildup? Is everyone else experiencing this? I don't remember shocks happening everytime with past cars. Wondering if leather seats made it worse. Maybe I've become electro-man.

i get that all the time also. i have cloth seats, and i thought it was from the friction caused by that, but i can see how it can also be dry air. I think its both.
- Big Phizzle -

ImageImage
BigPhizzle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BigPhizzle » Mon May 09, 2005 11:51 am

slingshot wrote:
down2thec wrote:Static builds up better when the air is dry. I got that every exit in my '92 camry toward the end. You have to find yourself a good ground on the way out.

I had the shock today when it was raining though it was less. THere is no black rubber at all on the inside of my car door to touch when exiting. I don't see a way of grounding myself. This static is a real pain.

"This static is real pain." haha funny
- Big Phizzle -

ImageImage
BigPhizzle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Mon May 09, 2005 2:10 pm

This worked in my Camry back in the day. If I'd remember to grab the outside skin of the door as I stepped out it was cool, no shock. The different electric potential exists between the inside of the car (apolstery , wheel and such) and the outside. So when you step out your shoes prevent grounding to the ground. There you stand all charged up so when you brush near the skin of the car... zap. (That scenario is exaggerated for effect.) If you're touching the outter door before you step out, the charge dissapates through your fingers. With direct contact, you get no zap.

So try grabbing the outer door or roof as you step out instead of the plastic interior. Might work if the door is grounded.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby SpeedSTARs » Mon May 09, 2005 2:36 pm

I had the same problem with my GEN1 Solara at first (5-years ago). It was resolved when i plus sized with different tires. The funny things is that 2-weeks after the swap, there was a Michelin tire recall regarding static electricity build-up from their tires. The tire model recalled was the Michelin Energy. These tires were stock on the Solaras from 99-2000. This might have something to do with the design of the tire???

-G :turn-l: :turn-l: D guys
SpeedSTARs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kjk747 » Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm

So I guess all of or most of us Solara Owners have this issue. It is and only should happen with cloth interior. I had a chevrolet Lumina before with cloth and that is the car i just ot rid of. I was so happy because i thought yeah! no more shock! Well when the weather got dry here one day I got out and ZAP and I mean ZAP All I said were explicitives! I could not believe this car was going to give me the same problem. The way I used to avoid it with my lumina was not by all there "touch the door before you get out" deals cause that may look a little bit strange but i used to get out of the car like normal NOT TOUCHING THE DOOR but using my foot to close it! YOu don't look weird just look like your always mad at your car which you should be if it shocks you all the time! I have always known to be fact that leather interior people should not get this problem because the culprit is cloth interior, the intial friction when you piviot your body toward the door( Gathering the static) and then releasing it when your hand touches the door. Since leather is not made of Static causing cloth those people should not have this problem. My mom who has a diffrent car with leather intrrior and drove in the lumina attested to the fact that the cloth does produce it cause she never got shocked in her car and either did I. But if anyone has a fix please help us all!
Kjk747
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PureNocence » Mon May 09, 2005 6:21 pm

I hate static electricity, though I have to deal with it on a daily basis. Ever since I got into my motorcycle accident and had a titanium rod put in, I've been getting shocked everywhere...cars, supermarkets, stores, everywhere!! What I do is before you get out of the car, grab one of your full metal keys tightly and touch that to your car door. Although you'll still feel a small shock, it's way less than if you were to touch it straight with your hand. Otherwise, I guess you could buy one of those anti-static bands they sell.
PureNocence
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Mon May 09, 2005 8:04 pm

It does happen with leather interiors and I am getting larger shocks than when I had my cloth interior Gen1.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Mon May 09, 2005 8:07 pm

Kjk747 wrote:I have always known to be fact that leather interior people should not get this problem because the culprit is cloth interior...

Sounds about right. I moved up to leather with the '04 Solara and haven't had a shock yet.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PhreakdOut » Mon May 09, 2005 10:21 pm

Kind of strange ... I haven't had this problem with the SE Sport Interior. I know its cloth is very different from the regular SE interior.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5