[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Static Electricity shocks when exiting
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Static Electricity shocks when exiting

Static Electricity shocks when exiting

Postby slingshot » Thu May 05, 2005 2:01 pm

This car gives me static electricity shocks every time I get out of the car and touch the car door to close it. I presently have all weather rubber mats in front. How am I getting such a buildup? Is everyone else experiencing this? I don't remember shocks happening everytime with past cars. Wondering if leather seats made it worse. Maybe I've become electro-man.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby boaclub923 » Thu May 05, 2005 2:37 pm

oh man~ i hate that thing...
however, i have leather seats too,
but i never experienced any electric shock on my car..
maybe u can go buy some stuff which reduce the chance to get electric shock on the car~
good luck
boaclub923
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Thu May 05, 2005 3:15 pm

Our old cressida did that all the time. My mom found a solution, she closed the doors with her handkerchief, it seemed to work!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby jsie » Thu May 05, 2005 5:14 pm

I got that shock too. Here's my solution:
Once I open the door & before steping my foot to the ground, I hold the black rubber trim on the door (the one between external door handle and window glass); keep holding until one of your foot steps on the pavement.

For sure, this trick works everytime for me on G2 Solara & G4 Camry.
2004 Solara SE Sport
Artic Frost Pearl
2.4L I4 5-Speed MT
jsie
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Down2TheC » Thu May 05, 2005 11:13 pm

Static builds up better when the air is dry. I got that every exit in my '92 camry toward the end. You have to find yourself a good ground on the way out.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby sgunitkc » Thu May 05, 2005 11:52 pm

lol something i can relate to....i get that shock too...but i have cloth seats...sometimes the shock is so strong you can see sparks in the dark...lol ! Is there really something that can reduce the static from the car?
sgunitkc
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Fri May 06, 2005 4:43 am

That's odd, I have leather seats as well and I haven't ran into this problem. My leather is not perforated though. I too have all weather floor mats.

I sat in a friend of mines SLE and his leather is perforated and I experienced this static electricity you're referring to, but he doesn't have the rubber mats. Weird :-?

-M 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Jewls » Fri May 06, 2005 2:35 pm

I have cloth seats and mats, and this drives me INSANE!!! I get shocked almost EVERY time I get out of the car!
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Fri May 06, 2005 2:46 pm

MichaelT recently linked up a new post about swapping the Toyo badge for Lexus. (after a polite "Search!!!" note) That post had a picture of a G2 with a little nub that the poster said was an anti static shock thingy. Find the newer post, follow the link, find the pic, then PM the guy. Maybe he has the solution for you. I'd dig out the link but that would be no fun for you all. I haven't gotten any zaps from my G2 yet. (Knock on fake dash wood)
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby junest » Fri May 06, 2005 6:28 pm

I have perforated leather seats and have not had that problem ever. That's weird...
2004 Solara SLE V6 Convertible
Webpage
junest
super solara girl
super solara girl

Postby trdkamuri51o » Fri May 06, 2005 6:31 pm

want the easy way to get rid of if?? ground straps.

they hang off the back of the car and pretty much touch the ground.
need wheels? www.memoryfab.com - ask for david

-1JZ Bozo Camry = Cooler than Penguin crap in January on the face of Pluto.
trdkamuri51o
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby slingshot » Fri May 06, 2005 6:56 pm

down2thec wrote:Static builds up better when the air is dry. I got that every exit in my '92 camry toward the end. You have to find yourself a good ground on the way out.

I had the shock today when it was raining though it was less. THere is no black rubber at all on the inside of my car door to touch when exiting. I don't see a way of grounding myself. This static is a real pain.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby online » Sat May 07, 2005 8:45 am

This can lead to a very dangerous situation. There have been studies done on static electricity build up that is created when exiting a vehicle while refueling causing a fire.

The condition where static electricity can ignite a fire is:

You are pumping gas and you can lock the nozzle so that you don't have to hold the handle to pump the gas. While the gas is pumping you get back into your car. When you exit your car and go back to the gas nozzle static electricity that built up while you got out of your car can ignite the gas fumes. The way to avoid this from happening is to make sure you discard the built up static elecricity by discharging the static charge before touching the nozzle.
2005 SLE Convertible
Absolute Red - Black Top
Nav System
K & N Filter
Mud guards
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby online » Sat May 07, 2005 10:31 am

More info - fire potential problems with static electricity at the gas pump

http://www.pei.org/news/static.htm

You can also do a goggle search on "static discharge causing fire"

Hope this helps
2005 SLE Convertible
Absolute Red - Black Top
Nav System
K & N Filter
Mud guards
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 04SolaraGirlie » Sun May 08, 2005 5:46 pm

boaclub923 wrote:
poshpepper wrote:What is that antenna on the back of your car for?

it's not really an antenna~ that thing is a special stuff which reduce the chances to get electronic shock... it works pretty good, i haven't get any electronic shock after i put that thing

http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=12618&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight

You wanna chime in on this, seems like you found a solution already boa...
2004 Toyota Solara SE, 4 banger 5 speed. Bought on 3-24-2005.
04SolaraGirlie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5