[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Moon Roof Rattle
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Moon Roof Rattle

Moon Roof Rattle

Postby MikeATL » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:48 am

Ok, Im starting to go nuts.

It started as only a faint rattle and now that its winter, its a loud knocking noise everytime i hit a bump. Sounds like there is a loose metal piece up there. I cant find anything thats loose though...

Now here is the problem: It only does it when the car is cold. Im guessing it has something to do with the glass expanding or something, but once the car gets warm, it goes away completely. I bet thats why i never heard it in the summer.

Is my dealer going to think I'm crazy? Especially if it doesnt make the noise once i get it there? (its 30 minutes from my house)

What should I do?
2008 - Black on Black - Infiniti G37S
SOLD: 2005 - Silver - SLE - V6 - HIDs - Ipod
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 am

Nah bro, the moon roof rattle is actually one of the inherant flaws with the Gen 2 (2004-2005)... Don't worry, it's NOT the glass. Take it to the dealer and they should fix it for you. There is actually a TSB fix for it (although it's labled as a fix for the groaning when it closes / opens, it's also known to cure the rattle). I have the same problem, and I have yet to get mine corrected, but I am going to do so soon. Mine, however, is enhanced by my stereo system... :-?
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby MikeATL » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:09 am

theprodigy79 wrote:Mine, however, is enhanced by my stereo system... :-?

lol

Well thats good news. I already check the TSBs and the moonroof one only says its for the noise when opening and closing, are you sure this is covered too?

I just want to avoid my dealer keeping my car for any longer than a day, and then picking it up and them telling me they didnt find anything wrong. (THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!)
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:06 am

MikeATL wrote:
theprodigy79 wrote:Mine, however, is enhanced by my stereo system... :-?

lol

Well thats good news. I already check the TSBs and the moonroof one only says its for the noise when opening and closing, are you sure this is covered too?

I just want to avoid my dealer keeping my car for any longer than a day, and then picking it up and them telling me they didnt find anything wrong. (THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!)

There is only one Moonroof TSB that covers the grinding noise during opening and closing... this entails replacing the cable mechanism. When they do it, however, they tighten everything up and a lot more than just that issue seem to be solved (I've known one person who had it done).

Outside of the TSB, it is still the dealer's responsibility to make sure your car is properly functioning.. The moon roof is covered by your warranty, and therefor should be corrected.

Whether you have the full TSB done or not, they need to fix it!! I've had mine tightened once (mine actually started to sag from the pressure of my subs), but it's back to rattling mildly on occasion (it doesn't do it when it's opened, just closed).
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby FLUXEMAG » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:54 am

Check out the left and right sides of the moonroof. There are two pieces of black plastic that shield the sides from wind when tilted up. Looks like a chinese fan or something. Mine just needed to snap back into the track. No more rattle. I'll see what I can do about a picture in the next few days.
FLUXEMAG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MikeATL » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:11 am

FLUXEMAG wrote:Check out the left and right sides of the moonroof. There are two pieces of black plastic that shield the sides from wind when tilted up. Looks like a chinese fan or something. Mine just needed to snap back into the track. No more rattle. I'll see what I can do about a picture in the next few days.

hmm, I'm taking my car in tomorrow, so I will check that ASAP.

On the other hand, i think i found where my problem area is. You know that "bar" that comes up when the roof is open? That thing has been nothing but problems. It vibrates like crazy when i go over 50mph with the roof open, and now i think its responisble for the noise.

I took a folded up napkin at put it between the side of that bar and the fame on the passenger side, closed the roof, and so far there has been little to no sound. That whole bar may be lose and knocking against the side of the frame when the roof is closed...
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MikeATL » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:53 am

**UPDATE**

You guys are going to love this.

So I drop the car off on Thursday (I was in LA all weekend, and got back on Tuesday) and the service guy said they may not get to it till Monday, which was fine since i was coming back on Tuesday. I also gave him my number just in case.

So i show up yesterday (Tuesday) and am greeted with a "its not ready yet".

Turns out they couldn't find where the rattle was coming from. So they reassemble the moon roof (probably per the TSB) and said they found a cable that was loose, but that didnt fix it. Then they took the whole moonroof out and drove it, still rattled. Long story short, they took out the whole headliner, and found a plastic support that runs from one door frame to the other that was loose. When I showed up it was being glued.

I obviously needed a car to go to work this week, so i requested they give me one. The first answer I got was, they didnt have any and enterprise was all out and I should call back sometime before 6. I asked the talk to a manager and was told he was out "testing" a car. Next thing you know enterprise has a car, and its on its way.

Should I be concerned with all the work they have been doing on the car? Sounds like there has been a fortune spent on labor for this job (all covered by warranty, which is fine by me). I am going to check every part of the car before I drive off, but is this issue worth reporting to someone higher up in Toyota?? I dont want my headliner to fall out at 36,001 miles.
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MikeATL » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:12 am

fromperv2pimp wrote:i got that groaning i think cuz i may have got use to it i cant hear it i heard it like 2 days after i bought it it was smooth then it sounded like i ran over a dog but i read here in a thread the serial #'s of cars that would hav the problem and that its under warrenty or it was a callback anyone kno where that thread is? and i wonder if i still hav that problem cuz i got use to hearing or it went away idk?

Hooked on Phonics worked for me!
Try using periods (.) next time, its fun and easy.

To answer your question: Check the TSB List or do a search
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MikeATL » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:24 am

fromperv2pimp wrote:ill try dat all-too-creative-crap nigga aight fo sho good lookin out yo

lol

Respect, Booyakashya!
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5