[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - what's your mpg so far?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

what's your mpg so far?

Postby Somedude » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:24 am

I drive the Solara in mostly city roads. I used to get about 28-30 mpg most of the time before.

I don't know why but I always get poorer gas milage when it is cold out.
Somedude
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby mluu510 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:10 am

hmm, i should of asked everyone to state which engine they have. i have a v4

i am pretty upset to find out that i have been scratching the bottom of my lip. i hate the driveway where i live. it's such a steep drop. i want to ask the landlord to smooth it out.
mluu510
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby lightear » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:35 am

You have an inline 4(i4) not a V4. I've been checking my mileage for over a month and a half now. The calculations are not uber accurate but it should be very close. Whenever I get my receipt from the gas station, I take the miles I have driven and divide that by the amount of gas I put in.

I've gotten averages of

-22 if I like flooring on to freeways with some AC
-23 if I just do AC
-24 No AC and I drive like a granny on the left most lane of the 10 Freeway

I don't see how I could be off 2mpg if my numbers are consistent week by week. I've done this about 7-8 times, taking accurate measurements and I fill from 15.99-16.4 gallons per fillup. Same company (chevron, same station).

(BTW, i've been recording my mileages, because I want to see the before and after results, when I install the JPP headers)
lightear
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby steve-o » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:57 am

2006 Solara Se - 4 cyl. 5spd - Manual - Highway and a bit around town - Just shy of 30mpg. Around down just shy of 26mpg. Use regular gas, Highway 65-75MPH of course the occasional 80+ but haven't tried 90 yet.. Around town 30-50 MPH. These calculations are what the computer tells me. I calculated it manually and it was so close I trust the computer.
steve-o
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:29 am

I think the computer is close enough for reference, but I believe it does not take into consideration certain factors such as:

- Idle/warm-up time... (maybe the cause of WORSE mpg in cold?)

I DO use the computer info nearly all the time... but I KNOW it is a little optimistic compared to my manual measurements...

Anyway... I've gotten OVER 30mpg before on the highway for a STRAIGHT THRU trip without stops or refilling... and I was travelling at 75-85 steady. The BIGGEST impact to my mileage has always been ON/OFF throttle driving and STOP/GO traffic... eliminate THAT, and these cars do pretty well...

NOTE: You can make 1-2mpg difference with fresh synthetic and proper air pressure in tires.... don't forget the basics, guys!

P.S. I only burn HIGH OCTANE fuel... generally 93 points here in Ohio...
- crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:54 am

crispone wrote:I think the computer is close enough for reference, but I believe it does not take into consideration certain factors such as:

- Idle/warm-up time... (maybe the cause of WORSE mpg in cold?)

I DO use the computer info nearly all the time... but I KNOW it is a little optimistic compared to my manual measurements...

Anyway... I've gotten OVER 30mpg before on the highway for a STRAIGHT THRU trip without stops or refilling... and I was travelling at 75-85 steady. The BIGGEST impact to my mileage has always been ON/OFF throttle driving and STOP/GO traffic... eliminate THAT, and these cars do pretty well...

NOTE: You can make 1-2mpg difference with fresh synthetic and proper air pressure in tires.... don't forget the basics, guys!

P.S. I only burn HIGH OCTANE fuel... generally 93 points here in Ohio...
- crisp :evilbat:

About comuter info....the fuel distance left consider your driving habit...it makes an average of the engine comsuption and "plan" that you'll be able to make 300 miles before you have to seriously think to go to the gas station. My trip to the Maryland meet made abig difference in the way the car see myself now ;) When I was filling the tank I was getting a 450km (280 miles) now with the same amount of fuel the computer tells me I can make 550 km (345 miles) because I drove on cruise control for more then 2150 km (1350 miles) increasing a lot my MPG. So now my car doesn't see me just as a CP-e crazy asshole !! :P
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby steve-o » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Good point with the idleing and sitting in traffic Crispo. I forget about stuff like that. It makes sense that climate, altitude, weight in the car, driving habits, tire inflation, etc. are all variables that go into the equation. I don't have a V6 and I had a 96 camry coupe for 8yrs 255,000 miles and always used regular 89 octane. I'd get 33mpg's from that thing till the very end. All Highway. I'm using 89 in my 4cyl now. and don't itend to change, the V6's seem to like the higher grade gas. I use it in my 95 avalon sometimes instead of 91.
steve-o
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crazygreek » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:31 pm

Havn't checked it recently but on my weekend drives to williamsburg, va from Erie, PA about 500 miles round trip. After resetting the on-board computer once I reach crusing sppeds 75 I get about 27-28 on an avg. That's running Shell or Mobil 89 octane and Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. The best oil I have ever bought. Keeps engine clean and well lubricated. I change it about every 5,000 miles and not very dirty at all when I do change it.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby WXman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:11 pm

I've been getting around 24 driving back and forth to work (around 50 miles round trip). My trip computer tells me I get 27+, but when I fill up and calculate it properly, it comes in around 24. I've been using 91 octane as well.
2005 SLE Convertible Nav/TRAC/VSC/Chrome Wheels. Absolutely Red
WXman
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby linmk2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:33 am

I've had my 06 for about a year. The "clock" now shows slightly over 12,000 miles. During this period, it's been getting around 22-23 miles per gallon. A combination of town and highway, perhaps slightly more highway than town driving.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby iinokturnolii » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:37 am

"17.1 avg." i think it sucks but i drive mostly local... so i guess its ok?
iinokturnolii
Exotic Herb Sampler
Exotic Herb Sampler

Postby upssnowman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:51 am

I have an 06 v-6 about 26,000 miles about 28-29 mpg pretty steady, I drive mostly interstate miles
upssnowman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

L4 Gas Mileage

Postby HomeboyMI » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:24 pm

I just completed a trip to Detroit Michigan from San Diego California.

I totaled up the mileage and divided it by the gallons of gas I bought.

34 MPG

Used AC about 20 percent of the trip.

87 Octane

70-75 MPH

All freeway with cruise

L4 engine with automatic trans
HomeboyMI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby unbalancedwood » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:57 pm

Ive driven up and down I81 (VA), about 200miles, then continue to the DC area, an extra 50. I drive around 70-85mph. I use 87 octane. Just switched to synthetic too, hopefully it does me good too.

I have a 99 V6 with 108k miles and i average 27/30mpg depending on AC and my foot...

While I have my car at school, driving around this town short distances, on and off I get around 20mpg. I think its all decent for a car with this many miles. Right now ive just gotta replace the shocks/springs/mounts and its good as new...
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby jimhild » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:00 pm

Our 2006 Solara Convetible gets about 23.5 or so in town and 29 - 32.8 on the highway. Generally, we run about 5 miles per hour over the speed limit.

Love the car!!!
Jim & Susan Hildebrand
Scottsdale, AZ
jimhild
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5