[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - timing belt - I4 Interference Engines or not?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

timing belt - I4 Interference Engines or not?

timing belt - I4 Interference Engines or not?

Postby SolaraHop » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:31 pm

Reading about timing belts found that there are two type of engines.
So is the 4 cyl. engine in 04' Solara Interference Engines or not?

Interference Engines and the Non-interference Engines. The difference between these two types of engine depends on the pistons and valves. If the timing belt on an Interference Engine skids for even one notch, the piston can possibly crash into an open valve and this can lead to serious engine damage. Non-interference engines, on the other hand, will not self-destruct but in case the belt is damaged
SolaraHop
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:35 pm

it is NOT
if i remember correctly
but im sure other people will chime in
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:30 pm

my service guy at toy says that we use the timing chain...rather all the vvt-i motors are chain~??
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krawzyazn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:36 pm

yup my 2az is a chain that they said I will never have to replace!
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby gnegroni » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 pm

So, is it an interference engine or not?
I guess the chances of the chain breaking are minimal and loosening takes place after lots of years on some cars...
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:48 pm

Summary of Solara Engines:

5SFE (4cyl 99-01) - Belt, non-interference
2AZFE (4cyl 02-now) - Chain, non-interference
1MZFE (V6 99-03) - Belt, non-interference
3MZFE (V6 04-now) - Belt, interference.

3MZs the only one you need to watch out for...3MZ guys, get your belts changed on time.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SolaraHop » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:12 am

should the chain last the life of the car? Or it has to be changed too?
SolaraHop
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby gnegroni » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

I had a 94 Taurus, the reason why I got the Solara... transmission went for second time in 2 years. When my engine overheated, I had the mechanic do a thorough inspection of the engine. I asked about the chain and he told me the chain's free play was withing acceptable limits, that for a 12 year old car...

In other words, chains are almost never replaced in comparison to timing belts which are recommended for 60k changes.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DaTwUnKrAziEpInOy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:43 am

IMO I think timing chains should be changed a little later than timing belts. Chains still do stretch over time but will not last the lifetime of the vehicle.
DaTwUnKrAziEpInOy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jon11582 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:26 am

Suggested timing belt change interval by Toyota for our engines is 90k.

For timing chains, there is no change interval suggested, but if you dont find any related issues, I would suggest every 200K.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:13 pm

Jon11582 wrote:Suggested timing belt change interval by Toyota for our engines is 90k.

For timing chains, there is no change interval suggested, but if you dont find any related issues, I would suggest every 200K.

Wow, I guess if Toyota calls for changing belts @90k it has to reflect on their product favorably... when others call for @60k.

200k seems ok for chain drives since my Taurus had about 140k miles.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 pm

gnegroni wrote:200k seems ok for chain drives since my Taurus had about 140k miles.

GAWD! A ford with that many miles!! HFC get ready to drop some cash in it.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:15 pm

gnegroni wrote:
Jon11582 wrote:Suggested timing belt change interval by Toyota for our engines is 90k.

Wow, I guess if Toyota calls for changing belts @90k it has to reflect on their product favorably... when others call for @60k.

200k seems ok for chain drives since my Taurus had about 140k miles.

60k used to be the maintenance schedule for most of toyotas engines. They extended the maintenance schedule for most engines in 98, but not sure why.

There are manufacturers that extend to 105k for regular belt maintenance (Honda is one I'm aware of.)
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Jakecallun20 wrote:GAWD! A ford with that many miles!! HFC get ready to drop some cash in it.

It wasn't that bad at all... I had the 3.0L (stronger than 3.8L) but auto transmission is way freaking bad from design... they never fixed flaws (mainly lubrication), so it went on my twice...
...first time ---> mechanic + alcohol - knowledge on elect. = crappy repair
...second time I sold the car as is; used money for downpayment

As for repairs, the engine overheated because the radiator cap broke once, but easy repair since block and heads are iron... Engine was in tip top shape mainly due to Mobil1 syn. Money put in was for strut tower top assembly, ball joints, suspension components, usual... the only thing that bothered me (other than the lack of power in a bad slipping transmission) was around 100k when the speedometer started to skip a bit. All in all, a solid car... Can't say the same about the Lumina in our household!

Still, I have to say... I LOVE MY SOLARA! Small nuisances and problems aside, I wouldn't change it for anything (maybe a 3MZ + 5-speed Solara)
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:37 pm

gnegroni wrote:
Jakecallun20 wrote:GAWD! A ford with that many miles!! HFC get ready to drop some cash in it.

It wasn't that bad at all... I had the 3.0L (stronger than 3.8L) but auto transmission is way freaking bad from design... they never fixed flaws (mainly lubrication), so it went on my twice...
...first time ---> mechanic + alcohol - knowledge on elect. = crappy repair
...second time I sold the car as is; used money for downpayment

As for repairs, the engine overheated because the radiator cap broke once, but easy repair since block and heads are iron... Engine was in tip top shape mainly due to Mobil1 syn. Money put in was for strut tower top assembly, ball joints, suspension components, usual... the only thing that bothered me (other than the lack of power in a bad slipping transmission) was around 100k when the speedometer started to skip a bit. All in all, a solid car... Can't say the same about the Lumina in our household!

Still, I have to say... I LOVE MY SOLARA! Small nuisances and problems aside, I wouldn't change it for anything (maybe a 3MZ + 5-speed Solara)

Ehh, typical ford to have issues like that. I still wouldn't buy one. I love the new ford commercials that state that "Ford has the same quality as Toyotas!" Seriously, the only American made vehicle I'll ever own is a GM product.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5