[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Why does my car shake it didn't do this before?
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Why does my car shake it didn't do this before?

Why does my car shake it didn't do this before?

Postby djverne2002 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:58 am

For the longest time I’ve had a slow leak in my back right tire. Over the past 5 months, every 8 days, I’d add more air to try to keep it at optimal pressure. Unfortunately about a month ago I noticed what felt like a shimmy at times and at other times felt like unbalanced tire. After much procrastination, I finally purchased four new tires (Kumho Solus KH16 from tire rack) for my 2006 SLE hoping the problem would go away.

Got the tires on about two weeks ago and my car is still riding like crap. I took it back to the service center and had the guy re balance and examine all the tires, but none of the technicians could find anything wrong although they could feel a shake in my car also.
They checked my alignment which they said is perfect, the tires are perfect, so is the air pressure, and the balancing is also. What is going on with my car? It doesn’t pull to any side but the ride is kind of shaky sometimes and smooth at others. The best way I can describe the problem is- it feels like a tire is warped or out of alignment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check or do next? :x
djverne2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:51 am

when do you feel the vibration? On the highway or all the time? Is it in the steering wheel or the entire car is shaking? Did they bother rotating them and test driving it to see if anything changed?
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby djverne2002 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:03 am

The vibration sometimes happens on the highway, I mostly notice it when slowing down, going around big turns on the expressway, and when first driving the car after it has been sitting overnight. On occasion the steering wheel will shake on the express way but usually its a noticeable shake that I feel in my drivers seat. I think they rotated the tires and know that they did give it a test drive, than again it was at a Goodyear service center.
djverne2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PXLpainter » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:12 am

Damn mystery!! :think:

You've done all the obvious checks, so I'm at a loss here...

Bump for someone who might now to show up! ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby 1gSE » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:20 am

hhmmm.....that sounds kinda odd. I'd say your best bet would be taking it to a mechanic, or go to another tire shop, describe to them whats happening and go from there. Do you have a bent wheel? If they said everything was fine, they should have brought you out while the wheel was on the balancing machine and showed you (at least that's what i did when i was a tire tech) What kind of balance did they do? A static balance would have been on weight (stick on) in the center on the inside of the wheel, not very accurate but takes car of the up and down motion of the wheel. A dynamic balance would have been weights on both side of the wheels, and that would have taken care of the up and down and side to side. If the wheel even has a slight bend in it, it would be multiplied through the tire and worse at higher speeds. But this sounds like it's all over the car, which makes me think it could be a bad tire. The best way to find that is to put it back on the balancing machine and see which on has the most movement. Or which one has a heavy spot and rotate that tire 180 degrees on the wheel
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby djverne2002 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:57 am

" The best way to find that is to put it back on the balancing machine and see which on has the most movement. Or which one has a heavy spot and rotate that tire 180 degrees on the wheel"

that's a good idea I think i may go to a different tire shop and have it done. This particular service center has great customer service but I don't know if there employees are as competent as I would like. Tire rack and the manger seemed quick to throw out the idea that it might be a bad tire.
djverne2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraBlue » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:17 pm

your rotors need replacing
SolaraBlue
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby lilm » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:20 pm

^^
Beat me to it. If its when your slowing down it sounds like one or more of your rotors are warped
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ilovemylara » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I have the same set of tires you have, and I too have noticed a slight vibration going 60+, but nothing under that.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby campfire9 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I agree with 1gSE. I would take your car to another shop and have them check the balance. While your at it ask them to hold a something horizontal over the tire as it rotates to see if any of them have a high spot. If you feel vibration in your seat it usually means its the rear tires and if its in your steering wheel it usually means its in the front.

I had purchased rims from Tire Rack and after they put my old tires on and balanced I had a vibration. Took it back to them and them rebalanced with the same results. Took my car to a place that I do a lot of business with and they balanced the tires and smooth as glass. I'm not trying to take anything away from Tire Rack but the chances are that their balance machine may have been out of calibration. The only reason I went to Tire Rack was the low price for the rims.

If you slow and use your brakes and have the vibration you could most definitely have a warped rotor. If you are slowing down without braking and have the vibration then I think its something else about the tires.
Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another very expensive flying club.
campfire9
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Sparky5e » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am

I am not sure if the Solara's have a steering stabiizer but it caused the same problems on my Cherokee. It was like you described and within a week it created a really bad death wobble. The garage pulled it off and the piston had broken from the shaft. I sure don't miss driveline and steering vibes with the Solara. Hope you find the cause soon.
07 SLE Convertable
Blue Streak Metallic
TRD FSTB and RSB, OSB Pedals, OEM Nav, CPE Intake, Stainless sills, "color matching" floor mats
Sparky5e
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby redgen1 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:31 am

SolaraBlue wrote:your rotors need replacing

+1 thats what i would check
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 am

^^^^^
While you are checking the rotors check the calipers I had a rear completely seize up and it made my car shake like crazy when ever it was cold.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby System_Crash » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:47 am

Everyone missed the obvious, get the vehicle on rack up in the air and shake the wheels back and forth from you; on the top and botem of the tire / doing this you're checking for freeplay "slack" in the wheel bearings if you feel it "click or clank" and theres slack in a bearing espesially the rear bearings that will cause this problem
Pearl White 2004 Solara V6 90,000 miles

System_Crash
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 am

System_Crash wrote:Everyone missed the obvious, get the vehicle on rack up in the air and shake the wheels back and forth from you; on the top and botem of the tire / doing this you're checking for freeplay "slack" in the wheel bearings if you feel it "click or clank" and theres slack in a bearing espesially the rear bearings that will cause this problem

oooooohhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyeeeeeeaahhhhhh!! MASS PWNAGE! lol

to the OP, have you found the problem yet?
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5